More beacon interference problems

WARNING:
    I did a quick and dirty test. Pieps DSP sending unit, Pieps DSP Pro receiver, and Coast headlamp from Costco.
    Range reduced from about 55M down to 15M with my headlight on and within about 20cm. During failure mode I tried moving my headlamp about 60cm away and it did not resolve the range problem, but if I started my search with the headlamp about 30cm away everything worked O.K. The worst thing is that my results were inconsistent. This was a quick and dirty test and will need a lot more time to resolve the inconsistencies.

I had a similar problem with a Garmin Rino radio a couple years back and learned that distance between the beacon and radio solved the problem ALMOST all the time. I will never do a search without turning my radio off. The time to turn it off is worth any wondering if my search is working properly. After today I will not do a search with a headlamp on. Maybe after much more testing I could grow comfortable with a proper distance protocol, but the fact that I could not make the problem go away by moving the headlamp to arms length (while in failure mode) means that I will turn off all electronics when in search mode.

I did not test for any interference in send mode (headlamp close to sending beacon), but with my radio it did not change the results if it was close to the sending beacon (< 10cm.)

I started a new thread so more folks will see it, but this is just a continuation of the Black Diamond Beacon thread. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...iamond-Beacons

really highlights the value of practicing searches with all the equipment that you would usual be using in real life.

Any interference with your electronics with the beacon in send mode? Turning of for search is great, but it would interesting to know if they same devices would interfere with your parties ability to detect your signal.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Any interference with your electronics with the beacon in send mode? Turning of for search is great, but it would interesting to know if they same devices would interfere with your parties ability to detect your signal.
    interference is a pita to test for, the answer can be situation dependent. e.g. it's not a headlamp thats the problem it's the LED part of the headlamp that's the problem, all LEDs have a driver & associated circuitry to work, those things are - now obviously - not tested well for EM emissions. Short answer is: this is complex shit that costs money.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    interference is a pita to test for, the answer can be situation dependent. e.g. it's not a headlamp thats the problem it's the LED part of the headlamp that's the problem, all LEDs have a driver & associated circuitry to work, those things are - now obviously - not tested well for EM emissions. Short answer is: this is complex shit that costs money.
    Truth.

but you wouldn't bother trying to search for your beacon with your radio and what ever electric do-dads you carry with you because its a PITA and can be complex?

I guess the take home message is probably more of the traditional school of thought that you should carry as few electronic devices as possible, keep them powered off and keep them as far way from your beacon as as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I saw a great presentation by Mammut on beacon interference. One thing they brought up is a led headlamp uses pulse-width-modulation dimming to control the brightness. Basically the led is turned on and off at a high rate which can create a lot of interference. Keeping electronics away is a good start, but it's hard to do a beacon search in the dark without a light...and they all seem to be led's now.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Name:  image_6409.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  11.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I guess the take home message is probably more of the traditional school of thought that you should carry as few electronic devices as possible, keep them powered off and keep them as far way from your beacon as as possible.
    ^^^^^^This

Anyone ever have an issue with magnets on their goggles? Just wondering because I just got these new Smith IOMags with magnetic lens attachment and they came with a warning card saying it could interfere with electronics including avalanche tranceivers... seems sketchy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    while maybe not sketchy per say
    the fact that you are asking a thread to ask instead of just practicing to find out on your own
    dont install a lot of confidence in your ability to use it reguardless of interferences
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    while maybe not sketchy per say
    the fact that you are asking a thread to ask instead of just practicing to find out on your own
    dont install a lot of confidence in your ability to use it reguardless of interferences
    Just got the goggles, have practiced with this beacon extensively for several years. I haven’t had a chance to do statistically significant experiments to prove whether or not there is any effect. That’s why I posted on this thread, looking to see if anyone else in the community had any information. Isn’t that the point of this forum, to share information that may be beneficial to others? Or is it just to talk shit and spread negativity...

Anyone actually have any info about this?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by xksrx View Post
    Just got the goggles, have practiced with this beacon extensively for several years. I haven’t had a chance to do statistically significant experiments to prove whether or not there is any effect. [/url]
    Now that you've had a few days, how did your test go?

You didn't ask for help formulating tests, but I'm sure we could oblige if needed; methods for testing one's own gear combo seems a worthy subject.

I bet you can turn your beacon on and off with your goggles.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.