Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    As to the voters, you have to show an ID to buy fucking pseudoephedrine in this country but you don't think it's OK to ask someone to show ID to vote??? Get the fuck off my lawn

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    MA is a pretty good model of "well regulated" IMO. I'd love to see that as the national standard.

So by your logic absentee ballots should also not be allowed right? Right now the current criteria to vote is to have an address and know what your address is... and be over 18 and alive according to the social security records. Everyone only gets ONE vote per person living at that address and it's not like someone else can come in and vote again after their name and address have been issued a ballot.

Until people voting absentee have to show an ID to do so it will continue to be deemed unconstitutional to require everyone else to show an ID to vote.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    MA is a pretty good model of "well regulated" IMO. I'd love to see that as the national standard.

So by your logic absentee ballots should also not be allowed right? Right now the current criteria to vote is to have an address and know what your address is... and be over 18 and alive according to the social security records. Everyone only gets ONE vote per person living at that address and it's not like someone else can come in and vote again after their name and address have been issued a ballot.

Until people voting absentee have to show an ID to do so it will continue to be deemed unconstitutional to require everyone else to show an ID to vote.
    What would be wrong with having to write your state or federally issued ID number on an absentee ballot for verification.

Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Huh, I got a letter this year saying I needed to go in person to the DMV to renew my license, and that I needed to bring either my birth certificate or passport (and maybe other documents, I forget the exact details).

Well, I had neither a birth certificate or passport handy, so I sent off to get my birth certificate and paid some company an annoying amount to get it delivered before my DL expired.

Got to the DMV; waited several hours in line. When I finally got to the booth, I pulled out my birth certificate and the lady said “you don’t need that”. Great. My new DL has the yellow star, so I guess I’m good.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Maybe it's "braked"
    I know I know maybe it's baked!

Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Does the yellow star remind anyone else of Nazi Germany?

What would be wrong with having to write your state or federally issued ID number on an absentee ballot for verification.

So checking a photo to be sure the person filling out the ballot is the same person on the ID isn't needed and any imposter who knows the real voters address or ID number can fill out an absentee ballot?? What's the point of PHOTO ID again??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Does the yellow star remind anyone else of Nazi Germany?
    The thought occurred to me.

Not sure about other states but at least in Mass if you are a AAA member, certain branches offer RMV services. i've gotten my Real ID (star), renewed car & trailer registrations and they were able to expedite a lost title replacement for my wife. Beats sitting at the RMV any day of the week

Colorado does all voting by mail. I have no idea what purpose requiring photo ID would serve
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

There's no polling places in CO? I thought that was standard shit everywhere in the US.

Between this and crossing double yellow lines in VT, Danno is shaking up my world today.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There's no polling places in CO? I thought that was standard shit everywhere in the US.

Between this and crossing double yellow lines in VT, Danno is shaking up my world today.
    None in WA either I think? I've never voted in person but I remember going to vote with my parents as a kid. This year didn't even have to pay for a stamp if you mailed instead of going to a ballot dropbox.

The crossing the double yellow is weird though

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Colorado does all voting by mail. I have no idea what purpose requiring photo ID would serve
    Yeah, but voter registration is somehow linked to your DL in CO. So when you register, it goes off your DL # meaning that it has already been checked before you can receive a mail in ballot.

There are polling places in CO. Most vote early by mail.

I always liked going to the polling place and placing my vote there, but this year I was going to be out of town. Pretty darn easy to vote by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Yeah, but voter registration is somehow linked to your DL in CO. So when you register, it goes off your DL # meaning that it has already been checked before you can receive a mail in ballot.
    You do not need to have a driver's license to vote or to register to vote. However, getting a driver's license enables you to register to vote at the same time. Not the same thing. And regardless, the simple fact that you registered to vote at the same time as getting your license has no bearing on voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    There are polling places in CO. Most vote early by mail.
    All registered voters receive a ballot by mail. Yes, there are locations where one can vote in person, but I don't believe the concept of the neighborhood polling place exists anymore.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We vote by mail too.
    Why would anyone do different?
    So much easier.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

You do not need to have a driver's license to vote or to register to vote. However, getting a driver's license enables you to register to vote at the same time. Not the same thing. And regardless, the simple fact that you registered to vote at the same time as getting your license has no bearing on voting.
    Point is, your DL was verified during the registration since they are linked, therefore you don't need to re-verify it every time you vote. That's how they get around it, unlike other states.

Point is, your DL was verified during the registration since they are linked, therefore you don't need to re-verify it every time you vote. That's how they get around it, unlike other states.
    No, that isn't the point. You do not need to have a DL to register to vote. You do not need to continue to have a valid DL to vote. As per the motor voter act, states have to offer you the opportunity to register to vote when you get a DL. But the converse is not true, you don't need a DL or an active DL to register to vote or to vote. There is no verification, so your comment about "re-verify" is not accurate.

No, that isn't the point. You do not need to have a DL to register to vote. You do not need to continue to have a valid DL to vote. As per the motor voter act, states have to offer you the opportunity to register to vote when you get a DL. But the converse is not true, you don't need a DL or an active DL to register to vote or to vote. There is no verification, so your comment about "re-verify" is not accurate.
    Jesus, I know you don't need a DL, but you need a valid form of ID, and a DL is what most people have.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    We vote by mail too.
    Why would anyone do different?
    So much easier.
    I guess we've all seen images or video of long lines of people waiting to vote but I've been voting a long time and I've never seen them in person. Here, I go up the street to the elementary school, walk in, get my name checked off and a few minutes later I'm done. Not exactly difficult. I think if I was voting by mail I'd feel like my vote might just get chucked in the trash unopened.

Jesus, I know you don't need a DL, but you need a valid form of ID, and a DL is what most people have.
    No, you do not.

Have you looked at what a valid form of ID is under Colorado law?

The following documents are acceptable forms of identification:

A valid Colorado driver’s license or valid identification card issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue. (Note: documents issued to not lawfully present and temporarily lawfully present individuals under Part 5 of Article 2 of Title 42, C.R.S. are not acceptable forms of identification.)
    A valid U.S. passport.
    A valid employee identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. government or of Colorado, or by any county, municipality, board, authority, or other political subdivision of Colorado.
    A valid pilot’s license issued by the federal aviation administration or other authorized agency of the U.S.
    A valid U.S. military identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector.
    A copy of a current (within the last 60 days) utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.
    A Certificate of Degree of Indian or Alaskan Native Blood.
    A valid Medicare or Medicaid card issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
    A certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate for the elector.
    Certified documentation of naturalization.
    A valid student identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by an institute of higher education in Colorado, as defined in section 23-3.1-102(5), C.R.S..
    A valid veteran identification card issued by the U.S. department of veterans affairs veterans health administration with a photograph of the eligible elector.
    A valid identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government certifying tribal membership.

Any form of identification listed above that shows your address must show a Colorado address to qualify as an acceptable form of identification.

The following documents are also considered acceptable forms of identification for voting:

Verification that a voter is a resident of a group residential facility, as defined in section 1-1-104(18.5), C.R.S.
    Verification that a voter is a person committed to the department of human services and confined and eligible to register and vote shall be considered sufficient identification of such person for the purposes of section 1-2-210.5, C.R.S.
    Written correspondence from the county sheriff or his or her designee to the county clerk indicating that a voter is confined in a county jail or detention facility.
    this is what you said before:

That is flat out untrue. There is no "link", you can register with a bank statement or utility bill or paycheck (if it has your address on it). So to my original point, that when a state does voting by mail the whole "must have photo ID" doesn't make sense. Unless you require photo ID when someone registers (we don't) and require them to maintain that specific piece of ID and have the system connect the ID and the voter registration before mailing a ballot (again, we don't).
    Last edited by Danno; 12-14-2018 at 02:57 PM.

I guess we've all seen images or video of long lines of people waiting to vote but I've been voting a long time and I've never seen them in person. Here, I go up the street to the elementary school, walk in, get my name checked off and a few minutes later I'm done. Not exactly difficult. I think if I was voting by mail I'd feel like my vote might just get chucked in the trash unopened.
    I walk to the library and chuck mine in the ballot box. It's easy and you get plenty of time to vote and get the ballot in. If you wait until the last day there are people from the county who take your ballot at the curb and deposit it for you while you watch.

Ice, you're an affluent guy living in an affluent community and nobody is trying to suppress the vote in your community. Surely you can understand that it isn't that way for everyone everywhere, and surely you can understand that it isn't just chance that determines where the long lines are.

ETA: and voting by mail allows you to fill your ballot on your own time, with beer in hand.

A number of states you don’t have to have citizenship to have ID or drive
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”