Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Renewed your driver's license lately?

By October of 2020 if you want to board a plane you will need either your passport or a Star Card license.
    You're gonna need--

Proof of identity (passport, birth certificate)
    Social Security Card (pay stub, W-2)
    Proof of residency (bank statement, utility bill)

Took me 3 tries to get it right with the nice folks at the DMV

Guess you don't follow instruction well huh!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

More detail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3116.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	940.7 KB 
ID:	260002

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is kind of a pain in the ass for me at least, it seems I have to go to the local Social Security office (once I figure out where it is) to get a new card, since I lost my original one about 30 years ago and you can't get a new one online and I'm, uh, "between jobs"so no pay stub or W-2. Been putting it off but it's coming up. You'd think a valid passport and a certified birth certificate and tax returns/bills etc. would work but apparently nope.

Getting ready to. Moved states recently and need to update my driver's license anyway so might as well get the upgrade and not have to worry about it again.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kind of a pain in the ass for me at least, it seems I have to go to the local Social Security office (once I figure out where it is) to get a new card, since I lost my original one about 30 years ago and you can't get a new one online and I'm, uh, "between jobs"so no pay stub or W-2. Been putting it off but it's coming up. You'd think a valid passport and a certified birth certificate and tax returns/bills etc. would work but apparently nope.
    Doesn't say how current the W2, 1099, or Paystub has to be.

But yeah, you'd think that a passport would suffice for a lot of this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    well, i might be done flying, again.
    Also can't renew your drivers license without jumping through their hoops.

You’d think maybe the airlines might flex against making it unappealing and difficult to use their business.

You actually can. If you hold a passport there is no need to get the Real License as they call it. You just need to carry your passport everywhere.

Checked on appointment availability in my county, nothing until late April. I went in arriving a half hour before the office opened to be 10 deep in line. It took me three hours, one hour just to get inside the building. My son and I now both have the real ID

Got another kid, daughter turning 15 next week. Will be there getting her permit test and hopefully star/real ID upgrade at the same time. Kids already had official state ID for previous air travel scenarios.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

To be clear, you can use your passport to fly domestic. You can also renew an ordinary license without all this, just no star card.

Not sure you’re right about renewing a regular license without it, the state sent me a renewal notice that said I needed all the stuff. Maybe it varies by state?

Just renewed my regular license in Mass and had to show either passport or birth certificate as "proof of lawful presence."

Not sure you’re right about renewing a regular license without it, the state sent me a renewal notice that said I needed all the stuff. Maybe it varies by state?
    100% sure you can renew the regular ID/License in NC without a birth certificate or social security card. We can still even do it online with just our old ID info. But to get the star or "real ID" those additional identity proof items are required.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ohhhhh. So THAT'S what the little yellow star on my new driver's license is. No wonder it was such a PITA to get mine. I thought it was nuts how many documents I had to provide. Apparently it's not just for air travel, but also for getting into Federal buildings too.

Also just realized my passport expired. Forgot to renew mine. Doh! Still 1000x easier to get a new passport than a new driver's license, though. Unless things have changed on that front too.

MASSACHUSETTS you can still get a regular one. They are encouraging everyone to upgrade now to avoid double fees if you wish to upgrade in 2020.

I just did this and got my 2nd RealID. The Teton county DL office had 1 person in front of me. 20 Minutes including chat time.

How hard is it to prove you're a citizen? Most states issue these as a matter of course now. And after you do it the first time, no more hoops until you change addresses.

my license has a star on it, does that mean I'm good? I don't recall jumping through those hoops, but...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    MASSACHUSETTS you can still get a regular one...
    Yeah this is still in Maryland . Doesn’t make much difference for me I guess since I do fly pretty frequently and don’t want to carry my passport. It seems like being a “known traveler “ and having that ID would help but as far as I can tell no.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    my license has a star on it, does that mean I'm good? I don't recall jumping through those hoops, but...
    I thought that was for organ donors.

They don't even ask for ID for a birth certificate at the health department. I think they asked my mothers maiden name and what city I was born in... it would be pretty easy to get someone else's birth certificate. Same with utility bills.

This is why voter ID laws suppress turnout. It's a total time, money, and energy suck to get a damn ID issued or renewed. Ain't nobody got time for that. My driver's license still has my address from 8 years ago because you have to have 2 qualifying documents to change it, and PO box doesn't count. Well, all my shit has my PO box address because I don't get mail at my house, much like the majority of people who live around here.

And my CO license has a star on it, too. Is that why it was such a pain in the ass?

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I thought that was for organ donors.
    That's a heart

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    That's a heart
    Feel like we are in kindergarten all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    You’d think maybe the airlines might flex against making it unappealing and difficult to use their business.
    Yeah! The airlines should put their foot down. If anyone is going to make air travel difficult and unappealing it's going to be them!
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!