Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Danno I do get that but it feels -feels- like somehow the whole thing is more controlled and accountable with actual polls. I have no beef with absentee ballots and I've used them in the past but I like the idea of polling places where people from all sides are watching what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Danno I do get that but it feels -feels- like somehow the whole thing is more controlled and accountable with actual polls. I have no beef with absentee ballots and I've used them in the past but I like the idea of polling places where people from all sides are watching what's going on.
    I believe the data shows otherwise, that it is much easier for hijinks to happen with in-person polling places. Either because of voter suppression or the use of electronic machines. Mail ballots have not had any problem here, and there is a paper backup for all vote tallies.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I renewed my dl in Colorado recently and did not need any special paperwork. Made an appointment online and then showed up with my old, soon to be expired dl. They snapped a new photo and gave me a temp. Took less than 10 minutes. My new, real id compliant license arrived in the mail a week later. Easy as can be...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

What's this crossing double yellow lines nonsense? Which thread did I miss??

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    my license has a star on it, does that mean I'm good? I don't recall jumping through those hoops, but...
    I hadn't heard of the star thing before, but it does look like our licenses here in CO have them which is probably what that means (meets real ID law). Colorado is a "complaint" state, so if you have a CO license that's been renewed in the last (I dont know how long) you are good to go- see https://www.dhs.gov/archive/current-...es-territories

I don't remember my renewal being a hassle either, I think CO maybe just makes it easier than some- I've always been impressed by how easy the DMV is here (at least in Durango) versus other states' DMVs I remember- see https://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/renew-license.php

13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    What's this crossing double yellow lines nonsense? Which thread did I miss??
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...96#post5529396
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

In CO, when you change your address on your DL, they just give you a sticker to put on the back and write your address on it. They still change it in the computer too, but the sticker thing kinda caught me off guard.

Yes, there are locations where one can vote in person, but I don't believe the concept of the neighborhood polling place exists anymore.
    It does. At least where I am on presidential years.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It does. At least where I am on presidential years.
    Having a polling place to vote in person and having the old-fashioned neighborhood polling place are two different things. My city of 100,000 has maybe 6 in-person polling places, but used to have way more. So I guess it's semantics and how one defines "neighborhood". There is no longer a polling place within what would normally be considered walking distance of my home.

Having a polling place to vote in person and having the old-fashioned neighborhood polling place are two different things. My city of 100,000 has maybe 6 in-person polling places, but used to have way more. So I guess it's semantics and how one defines "neighborhood". There is no longer a polling place within what would normally be considered walking distance of my home.
    I walk to my town hall 1 block away. Don't you have emissions though?
    Progress?

This is kinda interdasting from the Maryland MVA:

"You only have to provide documents to renew if you have been notified through your paper renewal notice or by email by the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration (MDOT MVA)."

So I got selected somehow. I need to provide the documents but some people don't. That's kinda odd.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I walk to my town hall 1 block away.
    Is there a location in your town that isn't walking distance? And what do you have against the US Mail or a ballot drop off box?

Is there a location in your town that isn't walking distance? And what do you have against the US Mail or a ballot drop off box?
    No, and nothing at all. It's nice seeing my neighbors though, and I am old fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    We vote by mail too.
    Why would anyone do different?
    So much easier.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why not just vote online, then?

My DL has 37 stars on it.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    old school paper ballot is actually much safer and less susceptible to shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

The crossing the double yellow is weird though
    NOT crossing the double line is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda interdasting from the Maryland MVA:

"You only have to provide documents to renew if you have been notified through your paper renewal notice or by email by the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration (MDOT MVA)."

So I got selected somehow. I need to provide the documents but some people don't. That's kinda odd.
    Q knows you are guilty.

Who is number 1?

like the well educated cabbages here would know

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I renewed my dl in Colorado recently and did not need any special paperwork. Made an appointment online and then showed up with my old, soon to be expired dl. They snapped a new photo and gave me a temp. Took less than 10 minutes. My new, real id compliant license arrived in the mail a week later. Easy as can be...
    Depends on where you are. I'm in Ohio right now and the mother in law has to find a 40+ year old marriage certificate to get a new star license. Also, she can't go to the local DMV- has to go to the "main" one downtown. Glad CO licenses are compliant for whatever reason.

Renewing my license in Gunnison involved showing up to the DMV an hour and a half prior to them opening, which put me about 5th in line. Office is open 2 days a week, from 9-3, and closed from 12-1 during those 2 days. At the time, they did not make appointments except for driver tests. Overall in was at least a 4 hour process, only because I showed up so early.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Renewing my license in Gunnison involved showing up to the DMV an hour and a half prior to them opening, which put me about 5th in line. Office is open 2 days a week, from 9-3, and closed from 12-1 during those 2 days. At the time, they did not make appointments except for driver tests. Overall in was at least a 4 hour process, only because I showed up so early.
    In CO you can renew online, or go to any other DMV in the state.

NY made me jump through hoops, old DL, SS card, Birth Certificate and a recent bill with your home address on it. That last part was tough as we've gone paperless with just about everything. I ended up printing out several months of car payment bills from the website and had to get a new copy of my BC because they said the old one was illegible in places that were important. That necessitated standing in line in NYC for about 6 hours. All told it was 3 visits to the DMV to get the new enhanced license.

My polling place is definitely not walking distance, we don't have ballot drop boxes here so you have to go and do it in person. Mail? It takes longer to get through the post office lines here than it did to vote in person. No we don't have mailboxes you have to go to the post office so you might as well watch them hand cancel it so you know it's going rather than putting it in your mailbox at home and wondering if your mail actually gets sent (it frequently doesn't).

Can't in NY as far as I know. If I'm wrong that would be great for next time.

People are worried that online voting would be a security risk. Just like the China hackers or Russian trying to influence the election, with online voting there would have to be a whole bunch of security safe guards to make sure only a single vote per person was cast. Can't use the same methods as in person online via the internet....

As a matter of fact there was talk that any of the electronic voting machines could not be on the internet after they were verified and sealed and going out to the poling locations. Now the Federal Government is making paper printout or backup a requirement for the electronic machines.

Look at Ticketmaster that claims it is trying to shut down the scalpers from using the on line sales to grab large blocks of big event tickets before it is sold out and the rest of the people that want to go with a friend or relative and trying to buy 2 or 4 tickets.