Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dirtbag waxing kit

Is there a Wax Your Own Fucking Skis thread?

I’d like to give it a try. I guess I just need something to melt wax, a brush or two, and a scraper. Well, wax too.

Any dirtbag ideas on sourcing the components cheap is appreciated.

Thrift store iron. Hardware store brush and scraper.
    Good wax is worth the money, but you don’t need flouro. Wax is cheapest in bulk, so find a bum or two or three to split costs with and make a big order of svst house brand blue (cold wax is decent for warmer snow but warm wax can be very slow on cold snow).

If you care about your skis, get a cheap or free pair from goodwill or wherever and use those to practice with your tools and techniques until you’re confident.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 12-14-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Phone typos

ias nailed it /thread
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

dirtbag? iron, wax, plastic scraper.

I like to polish em off with a scotchbrite pad too. But as said above. It's very easy. Watch a YouTube video for reference. You have to have a pretty hot iron to ruin your skis. Get the iron just hot enough to melt the wax. I like the travel irons with no holes if you can find a cheap one. Use a firm nylon brush.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

As others have said, thrift store iron, brass/horsehair hardware store brush, and a plastic hardware store scraper. Don't worry about screwing things up, provided you always keep the iron moving it is almost impossible to burn skis.

Paraffin / canning wax is a pretty dirt bag option.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Brush is optional. Iron, good wax, scraper, done.
    I would spend money on a scraper sharpener before spending money on a brush.

WD-40

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

practice waxing your skis on a thrift store pair? it's waxing your skis, not doing a sidewall replacement. Just slam some beers, close your eyes and giver. It's not going to end up much different.

If you want to dirtbag it, get scraped wax from your local ski shop floor, melt it into a bar, rub bar on bases, iron and ski. Don't melt it onto your bases otherwise you will get so much on there that you need to actually scrap it....waste of wax, waste of time.

Welcome to Epic Ski
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is true. Nothing is more inefficient than trying to use a dull scraper.

But buy a panzer file (like this one) instead of a dedicated scraper sharpener. They work well for sharpening scrapers but can also be used for flattening base damage, base repairs, etc.,..

I'd add owning a bastard file. Nicked edges will make waxing fucked. Learn to use one file for all edge action. And it makes a reasonable scraper sharpener.

Iron, Wax, File, Scraper, Scrubbie

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I'd add owning a bastard file. Nicked edges will make waxing fucked. Learn to use one file for all edge action. And it makes a reasonable scraper sharpener.

Iron, Wax, File, Scraper, Scrubbie
    all of this ---^

I bet you could use candle wax and a fire place to wax a pair of skis...

These dentist “dirt bags” and their fancy irons, files and scrapers. Probably the same “ski bums” with two house, A/c and an Audi

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Welcome to Epic Ski
    Yeah...I figured maybe the OP was a youth with insufficient ski-related mentorship.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeah...I figured maybe the OP was a youth with insufficient ski-related mentorship.

I had assumed today’s youth knew how to use the Internet
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I had assumed today’s youth knew how to use the Internet
    This is using the internet...

" The key to the Q and P is that you wanna be smokin' your friends, on the traverses."

OP - if you can't "source" these items on your own, you will be sadly incapable of actually using them.

I’ve had good luck with a metal scraper. Never gets dull, just be careful with pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Dirtbag waxing kit

Dirtbags use their other ski as a scraper

Only the bourgeoisie would own such opulent things as metal scrapers

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Brush is optional. Iron, good wax, scraper, done.
    A mill file can be used as a scraper sharpener AND be used to sharpen edges. A dedicated tool for sharpening a scraper is not very dirt bag....

You don't need any brushes, just an iron and plastic scraper and wax.

I recommend the oldest, heaviest, no-steam-holes iron you can find at the thrift store. The ones from the 1950's hold the heat really well so you don't have to pause to let them heat back up when you're ironing the wax in. Any iron will work though. Steam holes tend to collect wax and smoke like crazy so avoid them if you can.

Agreed that the steam iron isn't best, but it will work just fine if you have one laying around.

OP sounds like the perfect candidate for the DPS Phantom glide.

Be sure and reuse wax scrapings, too.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

[QUOTE=The Tortoise;5529431]Agreed that the steam iron isn't best, but it will work just fine if you have one laying around./QUOTE] I used a $2 yard sale steam iron set to "wool" to wax skis for decades with great results. Yes some wax collects around the steam holes. Someone regifted me a Swix waxing iron and I tossed two buck trudy.