Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I'd add owning a bastard file. Nicked edges will make waxing fucked. Learn to use one file for all edge action. And it makes a reasonable scraper sharpener.

File, Iron, Wax, Scraper, Scrubbie
    Fify

Less dirtbag but makes life a lot easier: you can make a pretty good waxing setup with some 2x6 scraps and a pair of C-clamps to secure them to a porch railing etc. Then tack old bike innertubes to the 2x6 "L"s for grippiness, and use an old cam strap to hold the ski down. Cheap and portable.

True Dbags dont use wax.

They use nothing.

Once again TGR delivers in constructive/humorous/veiled and not so veiled mean-spirited spades! Thanks mags.

Wax on, whack off.

I've used an old clothes iron that my cousin found in the garage and some of those scotch pads from the convenience store and I bought a big chunk of nice all temp wax at the base of the hill where shop tech gave me a big scraper. Scrounged up everything for like $10 and hopefully that kit will be waiting for me next time I'm at my cousins place

There are so many cheap starter waxing kits out there. We're not even talking edge work, which is where the expensive stuff is.
    You can be as anal and expensive about it as you want. Or not.

This thread is so fucking dumb. Please self destruct it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Iron- even thrift store (if it has holes and is a steam iron some recommend a tube of JB Weld or similar to fill those holes some so they do not allow the collection of wax.) Anything to scrape the skis- at least as wide as the skis or board, heck dirtbag way would be to use an old credit or bank debit card, but it would suck scraping a snowboard or wide powder skis with that. Electrical switch plate (double gang or wider from a big box store, but then you eventually have to replace it as it would be harder to keep the sharp edge compared to a plexiglass scraper. If you can only afford a single scraper, metal will last the longest, but you have to be a bit more careful if that is your only scraper.

Most dirtbags should be able to afford a ski or snowboard specific scraper and a packet of drywall sanding mesh to keep the scraper sharp or a flat file to maintain the sharp edge. Then as stated some sort of wax- paraffin candle wax would be dirtbag, but some cheap universal wax out there that is strictly hydro carbon based could be done too. Shop wax like Hertels sell or some blocks of white Universal (Ultra) Sun Valley Ski Tuning (SVST) wax (10 oz) or a few other brands that would end up with at most a dirtbag having to missing a six pack after skiing. A brush or even 2 if you want to to be a step above dirtbag... Brass grill brush (that has of course never touched a greasy grill) for removing old wax or more aggressive brushing works. Then a short horse hair or cheaper nylon brush - hand brush type brush.

Then dirtbag make a set of tuning vises for your work bench. Couple of 2x4's or whatever scrap wood to cut and clamped then stretch an old bike tube over the top https://i.pinimg.com/736x/91/16/bb/9...5753b20f1f.jpg or something like http://cdn.instructables.com/FUM/MH6...OX6.MEDIUM.jpg
    Those would of course also work on a old table or saw horse in a garage somewhere also if you don't have any work bench.

Scotch Brite pad is helpful also if you want to pick one of them up.

Those are some of the most dirtbag or ghetto ways to start out waxing your own skiis and as mentioned first few times practice on old rock skis or old skis you picked up at a thrift store or garage sale for $10.

Plenty of You Tube videos out there on waxing, keep the iron from smoking, and keep it moving on the base surface so you do not end up with base burn. Once you are proficient in waxing your own skis, you will want to get into a few ways to edge sharpening too for turns on groomer ski days.

I especialy hate clothes irons that don't go low enough so turn it up, it smokes , turn it down, now its cold, back and forth until maybe you overheat the base ... it was more likely with more delicate xc skis

a digitaly controled waxing iron is nice but not necessary, an entry level wax iron will do, a plastic scraper, a metal scraper, a nylon/brass combo brush, whatever wax you need for where you ski and figure out a way to hold the skis,

you can buy it now or wait till you realize shitty stuff is shitty and then you will just be another year older when you do buy it
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-15-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Gearwest.com
    Code 10days2018
    Wax and supplies
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Why scrape? Sure it matters of your runs are timed, otherwise why bother? I just hit some groomed runs a few times to take off the excess wax before using skins. Might need to scrape the tips a bit after.

I use an old iron for years. Works well. Then I scored a $10 dual voltage mini clothes iron for Europe. Haven't seen those in na.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daught; 12-15-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Travel irons are cheap
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    True Dbags dont use wax.

They use nothing.
    this ^^ exactly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Crayons, a lighter (preferably Bic) and windsheild scraper is all you need..
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

Please no one post any other pictures so that that current picture of that girl stays on my feed

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Old VHS tape, or old VHS tape case both make good scrapers. Used one for a whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yeah...I figured maybe the OP was a youth with insufficient ski-related mentorship.

“It all works out in the long run.“

FKNA some damn good advice in that video. Thanks for the reminder.

I’m also of the core shot wax filling school of thought. I mean, I’m just gonna get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Be sure and reuse wax scrapings, too.
    Now you Bumming. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Why scrape? Sure it matters of your runs are timed, otherwise why bother? I just hit some groomed runs a few times to take off the excess wax before using skins. Might need to scrape the tips a bit after.

I use an old iron for years. Works well. Then I scored a $10 dual voltage mini clothes iron for Europe. Haven't seen those in na.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
    Scraping is a lot easier if you crayon on the wax and then melt it in (warm the base with the iron first) instead of dripping it on. You use/waste a lot less wax that way.

Home brew stand/vices and accessories: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5757.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	964.1 KB 
ID:	261510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5762.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	966.3 KB 
ID:	261511Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5761.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	915.2 KB 
ID:	261512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5759.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	956.1 KB 
ID:	261513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5760.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	926.9 KB 
ID:	261514

Just tried a new 'last minute wax' system when i don't wanna use an iron.

Crayon on a layer of wax. *Carefully* give the bases a tip to tail blast with a hot air gun. Buff 'em smooth with leather palm area of gloves yer using for the day for a bit of micro water repellency. Go skiing. No clue if it'll wreck the bases or how many runs the wax'll last, trying it out for a one and done ski tour right now.

Total time including throwing skis upside down on the lid of the deep freeze 'ski bench' was about 4 minutes.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Just tried a new 'last minute wax' system when i don't wanna use an iron.

Crayon on a layer of wax. *Carefully* give the bases a tip to tail blast with a hot air gun. Buff 'em smooth with leather palm area of gloves yer using for the day for a bit of micro water repellency. Go skiing. No clue if it'll wreck the bases or how many runs the wax'll last, trying it out for a one and done ski tour right now.

Total time including throwing skis upside down on the lid of the deep freeze 'ski bench' was about 4 minutes.
    I do similar sometimes if I'm in a hurry but I use a cork instead of the hot air gun/glove trick.

Racewax on google express:
    https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...AaAvDFEALw_wcB

$33 plus 20% off your first order. Free shipping. $26 something for a real iron is pretty good.

Also have it on Racewax.com but no discount. I like the racewax guy. Dude will give you all the info/advice you could ever want.

Speaking of dirtbag wax, any thoughts on some of the noname "bulk" wax on ebay? The seller wintersportdeals has lots of different waxes, most listed as universal temp waxes. Is this stuff good enough for someone looking for cheap wax? The seller's descriptions are more or less useless, and most are just copy and pasted from one another anyways. I'm wondering if some of these waxes are not necessarily all temp for instance and the seller just has no clue, or even just straight up dollar store candle wax remelted into sticks/blocks. Or old shavings for that matter....

Some of the listings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Snowboa...item2cd9981cab

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Snowboa...gAAOSwo4pYbVLG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Snowboa...kAAOSw0j9ZReU5

Has anyone used this stuff? Better to just pony up a few extra dollars and get some of the cheap name brand waxes?

Every Dirtbag wax kit needs this in it: https://www.hertelskiwax.com/Fluorof...ant-1-half.htm