RIP Andrew Slater Snotel, what to do now?

For many years the 24Hr SWE map http://cires1.colorado.edu/~aslater/SNOW/ developed by the late, great Andrew Slater has been by far the most useful and efficient tool in my online weather arsenal. The ability to see a comprehensive, color coded rundown of exactly how much it’s snowed everywhere in the country resulted in countless powder days in areas that I wouldn’t have considered otherwise.

Andrew died a number of years ago, but the site has continued to operate and update until July 31 of this year, when it stopped updating. My question is this: is there another software tool that performs a similar task? I haven’t been able to find one. Also, who would be the person to contact to maybe get the site up and running again?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How about looking at the fed government Snotel site?

That’s always an option, but the cool thing about Andrew’s site is that it color coded each snotel station on the map based on 24 hour SWE change, with different colors for each .1 inches. It’s just been a really easy, fast way to tell where it’s been snowing. In southwest Montana there are a ton of small island ranges where storm totals differ greatly, and not having to visit 15+ different snotel site reports every morning is pretty nice!

The NRCS interactive map is good but yeah doesn't drill down by swe change in 24 hours. Just current data.

You can modify the scale which I find helpful to see the differences with the color band. Click data/display options and then Scale Range

I was wondering what happened. Sad to hear. I didn't know Andrew had passed. The graphic 14, 24 & 48 hr maps were very handy.

Regarding Snotel, there is an interactive map. You can also customize reports with multiple Snotel sites and whatever columns and data you want to see.

Here's one customized Snotel example.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Just current data.
    Huh? Click on individual snotel site and click on the 7-day hourly table for a 7-day history by hour of snowfall, temp, water equivalent, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Huh? Click on individual snotel site and click on the 7-day hourly table for a 7-day history by hour of snowfall, temp, water equivalent, etc.
    Not the tabular data. The visual color coded data on the main screen. Or did I misunderstand something?

Seems that you and I do it differently. I check a dozen or so key Snotel site and NWAC site hourly tables for recent snowfall, short-term temp history and water content (a big issue in the PNW) by quickly calculating precip/snow ratio, checked by temp history. That almost always gives me a good idea of skiing conditions and a bigger picture of how they vary W and E of crest. After the spring consolidation, the assessment is different.

In the interactive map, click "Delta" under "Snow Water Equivalent" then scroll down to the Time, Frequency, and Duration section and set the time next to "Delta" to "1 Day".
    The color coding on the map now shows the change in SWE in the past 24 hours.

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    In the interactive map, click "Delta" under "Snow Water Equivalent" then scroll down to the Time, Frequency, and Duration section and set the time next to "Delta" to "1 Day".
    The color coding on the map now shows the change in SWE in the past 24 hours.
    That, my friend, is the answer I was looking for. Wasn’t aware of that feature. Thanks!!

I would add that you need to select “value” under the parameter field to get 24Hr change.

For some reason the delta amounts for snow depths are inconsistent between the interactive map and the report. Apples to bananas and I need to adjust the report settings?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR