Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Recommendations for building a modular cabin near Leadville

We are just starting this process and have never done something like this before. Looking for some recommendations for:

1. Local real estate agent that can help with the purchase of land
    2. General contractor that can oversee the project.
    3. Recommendation for modular log cabin company. Doesn't have to be local to CO.

Area: around Tennessee Pass
    Size: .5 acre lot
    Sq ft: ~1,100 sq ft

Any other thoughts before we even begin?

My only thought is that this should be in the Padded Room.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Define 'modular log cabin'.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

MiCol is the mag to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    ..Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 879
Size:  40.9 KB

Call Hev

Drive around and figure out where you really want to be

Figure out planning and zoning

I'm not sure if this is a house for full time living or a get a way type of place. That said, the cost of the actual structure is only a portion of the costs. Thing well, septic, utilities, driveway etc.

I'll build you a stick framed structure for less most likely. Logs can get really expensive. Check out Heritage Homes for modular plans and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Homes that are built in a factory and transported to the site as opposed to being built on site.

Must conform to the same stringent codes as site-built homes.
    Are sturdier than site built homes, due to rigidity required for highway transport
    Not exposed to weather conditions during construction
    Inspected by third party inspectors
    Are treated by banks like traditional site built homes – can be financed or refinanced
    Can be customized to meet your needs
    Are built in a factory and delivered to your site in modules that are installed on a foundation with a crane
    half of this list is BS, the other half is "it depends". The 2 primary saving with "off site built" homes are cheap labor located elsewhere and cheaper materials built elsewhere. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you get a better product for less money. Generally, you get an inferior product for less money.

Ever seen a modular home get in an accident on the way to the job site? Ever seen it not fit on the foundation because it got built to the wrong size? Ever compared plumbing and electrical in a modular vs. a site built home? Ever seen a set crew show up drunk? Ever looked at modular after it has been up 10 yrs. Ever compared resale on modular's vs. site built?

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying don't believe the marketing materials. Every modular I've ever worked on has required all trades (plumbers, electricians, drywallers, HVAC, etc.) to fix fucked up shit. Normally, the homeowner wishes they would have gone site built.

I have a general contractor buddy that have been doing a lot of modular construction lately for a small time developer. He has toured multiple factories, prices it out, etc. Now he gets them though drywall and does all the interior finish onsite.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Homes that are built in a factory and transported to the site as opposed to being built on site.
    I understand the modular part, but haven't seen a 'modular log' structure. True logs, log siding or 'dimensional logs with no insulation? There's also 'factory/log yard' built true logs, then are disassembled and rebuilt on site.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I believe my log home was built elsewhere then assembled on site by the original owner. No idea where he got it from but there are a few companies in CO. 12-15 inch diameter Douglas Fir logs. Super efficient, really well insulated and seems really well built so far, we've had it for about 7 years. Pretty basic, nothing fancy, but we love it. Only frustrating thing is there's nothing we want to change about it, and you wanna tear down a wall for some "Open Concept" shit? Good luck, it is all structural.

I guess what I am saying is, don't fall in love with anything before fully weighting the alternatives.

Modulars and logs have proven to be less that the best value alternatives on many projects I have worked on.

I had a buddy looking to do this down there. His dream ended when the lot they picked out wouldn't qualify for a well permit. I'd start there.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I guess what I am saying is, don't fall in love with anything before fully weighting the alternatives.

Modulars and logs have proven to be less that the best value alternatives on many projects I have worked on.

Have ya seen the houses in Leadville? Most were built as temporary housing for miners 100 years ago. I'd say just about anything would be better than that. I do know people who have bought those old houses for really cheap and fixed them up pretty nice.

When I think Tennessee Pass, I think up by Ski Cooper. What a new build up there has to do with properties in the historic district in Leadville, I know no idea. But you love your log house. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Any other thoughts before we even begin?
    It’s a long fucking way from Aspen in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    It’s a long fucking way from Aspen in the winter.
    Ha ha! no shit. Where abouts near Tennessee Pass? Crane Park/Gravel Pit? north towards Hale off 731? We know all kinds of owners around there I could probably reach out to if your looking for some info on a particular spot.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9294.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	259943

I love our modular cabin. Cavco cabin model with a loft. Its small but its all we need. No major issues to date. None that would have occurred wether it was modular or stick built.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

It's cheaper to DIY... drop by Target or Walmart
    Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  40.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    how many sq ft is that? their web site kind of sucks cannot find the floor plans. I want to put another unit on my lot sort of mother in law apartment. Thinking similar to op maybe a little smaller.
    Ours is 600 SF with another 150 sf in a loft. We have had 6 couples semi comfortable between the bedroom, the loft and the hideaway couch. Usually its just the 2 of us.
    The nicest part is how quickly it can be put up on site. Plus it is surprisingly well built.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I had a buddy looking to do this down there. His dream ended when the lot they picked out wouldn't qualify for a well permit. I'd start there.
    Solid advice right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

I have a general contractor buddy that have been doing a lot of modular construction lately for a small time developer. He has toured multiple factories, prices it out, etc. Now he gets them though drywall and does all the interior finish onsite.

This has been my experience with some good move in home builders. They build a really solid built house that would make most folks happy, but they skimp on paint and cabinets.

My dad's old business partner (in real estate) built 2 log cabins at TN pass. Doubt you'll find a better resource. https://www.summitdaily.com/news/new...ion-hut-opens/

PM Me/ call me/ email me and I'll get you in touch with Lee

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    My dad's old business partner (in real estate) built 2 log cabins at TN pass. Doubt you'll find a better resource. https://www.summitdaily.com/news/new...ion-hut-opens/

PM Me/ call me/ email me and I'll get you in touch with Lee

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've been to those huts, they're really sweet. Also met the owner or one of the owners on one trip, maybe it was Lee. Great spot, a great place for my kiddo's first and second hut trips.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    my place is full blown cedar lincoln logs from a company called Pan Abode. built in ‘64 it’s aged very nicely.
    pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

731 or sylvan lakes?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague