Removing demo bindings for efficient packing

My wife and I each own a pair of skis mounted with Attack13 Demo bindings.

I know it's possible to take both the heel and toe pieces off without needing to remove the actual bits that are screwed into the ski itself...and that this can make the skis much easier to stack up for travel/shipping. I'd like to do that, but don't know the first thing about how. So...

1) How do I do that? Any tools required, or can it be done by hand? Does anyone have a link handy to a video that shows what that looks like on this particular model, or in general?

2) Is it necessary, or even recommended, to turn down the DIN settings on either the heel or toe or both before doing this (either for safety or convenience)?

3) When reinstalling the heel and toe pieces, is it "good enough" just to reinstall them to the same places they started in the tracks (i.e. set for proper BSL) or is it necessary to check the forward pressure adjustment, too? (If yes, any videos out there showing how that's done for this model?)

4) How important would it be to get an ASTM test after putting things back together?

Any help/advice much appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveEastSkiWest View Post
    My wife and I each own a pair of skis mounted with Attack13 Demo bindings.

I know it's possible to take both the heel and toe pieces off without needing to remove the actual bits that are screwed into the ski itself...and that this can make the skis much easier to stack up for travel/shipping. I'd like to do that, but don't know the first thing about how. So...

1) How do I do that? Any tools required, or can it be done by hand? Does anyone have a link handy to a video that shows what that looks like on this particular model, or in general?

2) Is it necessary, or even recommended, to turn down the DIN settings on either the heel or toe or both before doing this (either for safety or convenience)?

3) When reinstalling the heel and toe pieces, is it "good enough" just to reinstall them to the same places they started in the tracks (i.e. set for proper BSL) or is it necessary to check the forward pressure adjustment, too? (If yes, any videos out there showing how that's done for this model?)

4) How important would it be to get an ASTM test after putting things back together?

Any help/advice much appreciated. Thanks!
    1. I believe all Attack demos are tool-less. At least the ones I've seen anyway. They have a small latch you depress to move along the track.
    2. No, you don't need to mess with DIN.
    3. You should always check the forward pressure on reinstall. It takes 15 seconds and ensures nothing is wonky. Google "check attack binding forward pressure."
    4. No need.

Thanks for a very fast and very thorough answer. Last thing I forgot to ask:
    5) Any need to worry about AFD adjustment in the front, or will it stay right during removal/reinstall?

5. It won't move unless you mess with it intentionally. Again, good to double check when you snap in a boot to confirm FP.

If you need to ask..... especially if you don't have a solid understanding of how to set forward pressure properly... best to just leave them alone and eat the extra baggage fees if they won't fit in one.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    If you need to ask..... especially if you don't have a solid understanding of how to set forward pressure properly... best to just leave them alone and eat the extra baggage fees if they won't fit in one.
    Heaven forbid someone start learning somewhere.

This forum encourages DIY and learning. Demos on/off are a good place to start.

Just slide them off, nothing not worry about, no tools required. Google on setting forward pressure and you'll see that there is nothing to it at all. Or just write down what the track indicators show before you slide them off.

All my skis have Attack 13 demos. I travel with 2 skis and 1 set of bindings -> easy-peasy.

God demo tracks are great. I wish they were easier to come by.

Agree. Anyone have a source for demo tracks? For obv reasons the companies don't make then easy to come by

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Scott at ON3P unloaded a bunch of attack demos to a mag here, he didn't want to sell them individually so just lotted them out so someone else could deal with it. Can't recall who bought them of the top of my head but maybe shoot over to that thread and find out if any are left.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

why demos with higher stack height and plastic tracks and all that crap? Just use inserts. I live in a big city far away from mountains and I have to use plane for each ski trip. I got a quiver of 5, inserts in all of them. I usually take 2 pairs each trip with 1 or 2 bindings separately. Skis stack easily. Once you arrive, it takes 10 mins to install them.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Very easy task as a place to start but very severe consequences if forward pressure done incorrectly. On the other hand I believe that everyone should know how to verify their forward pressure setting and set it correctly.

I tend to prefer brick and mortar education to online universities when just getting started. If you have no clue about mounting or adjusting bindings and have never even seen it done it's probably best to take them to a shop and give someone a 6 pack to show you how to do it right. After you know a little, going online to add to that knowledge is great. But, as the first lesson, not so much.

I tend to prefer brick and mortar education to online universities when just getting started. If you have no clue about mounting or adjusting bindings and have never even seen it done it's probably best to take them to a shop and give someone a 6 pack to show you how to do it right. After you know a little, going online to add to that knowledge is great. But, as the first lesson, not so much.

About 5 years ago there was a thread on a different forum. Guy was all excited about going to Steamboat to ski NASTAR Nationals. He had a brand new pair of skis and was asking for advice and instruction on how to mount the bindings himself. He got what seemed like good advice with references to other sources including how to set the forward pressure. I shit you not... The same guy DIED at Steamboat going from the lift to the NASTAR course. He hit a tree. Speculation is he lost a ski and veered off the trail. The forum where the discussion and aftermath revelations is long gone, just like the guy who tried to do it himself with good advice he didn't follow properly.

Edit: ignore my incorrect comments.
    Refer to Phil’s chart on Tyrolia stand height and weights in the following post

One place that always has demos is Al’s Ski Barn / Untracked
    Last edited by ARL67; 12-18-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARL67 View Post
    Attack 13 demos have a very low profile metal track and no more stack height than the non demo. Even the plastic track for Squire / Griffon / Jester are negligible. I haven’t handled a demo Warden so can’t comment. And stack height isn’t always bad depending on what one is skiing, or what one prefers.

One place that always has demos, but not exactly cheap, is Al’s Ski Barn / Untracked
    The do have significant more height than the regular Attack2 13 GW but not much more than the attack 2 14 AT. All of your stand heights for Tyrolia are HERE.
    Click. Point. Chute.

^^^ great info Phil, I forgot about your charts linked above.