Custom made ski jacket?

Does anyone know of someplace to get a custom-made ski jacket made? I’m one of those “Clydesdale size,” guys. There is something going on with sizing of clothing these days. My old XXL CAIC Patagucci jacket fits me. But when I try on an XXL jacket now its super tight. With what they are charging for jackets these days, maybe a custom jacket wouldn’t be out of line price wise.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

not custom: but OR jackets come in XXL and the relaxed fit is very large. I'm 5'10 #160 and fit that in a small.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Does anyone know of someplace to get a custom-made ski jacket made? I’m one of those “Clydesdale size,” guys. There is something going on with sizing of clothing these days. My old XXL CAIC Patagucci jacket fits me. But when I try on an XXL jacket now its super tight. With what they are charging for jackets these days, maybe a custom jacket wouldn’t be out of line price wise.
    Difference in fit between freeride (hudge) and touring/mountaineering (snug) oriented Patagonia jackets is huge. Also check out Freeride Systems. They are on the large size as well.

These guys used to make excellent custom softshell gear: https://beyondclothing.com/

Not sure what they're up to now.
    https://beyondclothing.com/

At the risk of sounding racist it really seems like all the labeled sizes got a tad smaller when most things got offshored to Asian sources. It could also be that marketing and operations folks looked at how many pennies they could save by making the products a tad smaller across the board, but it really seams that what now is tagged as a medium would fit an average Asian adult and what's now labeled a large fits and average US or European adult.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Mntlion, You have forgotten how big (tall, etc...) I am.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    At the risk of sounding racist it really seems like all the labeled sizes got a tad smaller when most things got offshored to Asian sources. It could also be that marketing and operations folks looked at how many pennies they could save by making the products a tad smaller across the board, but it really seams that what now is tagged as a medium would fit an average Asian adult and what's now labeled a large fits and average US or European adult.
    Or more likely -- Americans just continue to get fatter.

Anytime I find a vintage piece of ski gear, or thrift some old quality clothing -- I find I'm almost always a Large. Which sort of makes sense at 6'2" / 175#.

But now-a-days I mostly wear Medium.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Or more likely -- Americans just continue to get fatter.

Anytime I find a vintage piece of ski gear, or thrift some old quality clothing -- I find I'm almost always a Large. Which sort of makes sense at 6'2" / 175#.

But now-a-days I mostly wear Medium.
    I generally wear a large...except in euro cycling gear, then it's XXL.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

How big are you?

I'm a tad under 6'7" and 250lb (36 inseam, 38 waist, xxl in most jackets due to arm length). I've been skiing in the same Oakley XXL jacket since 2011.
    Not sure what they make anymore though.

I've talked to some of the OR people here in Seattle who essentially said its luck of the draw. XXL between stuff has zero correlation at this point. I don't fit 90% of what i've tried from OR in XXL.

Stoic stuff i've had good luck with.

I tried on XL flylow stuff and it wasn't even close but the shop didn't have a XXL to try. Doubt it'd fit based on how tight XL baker bibs were.

Patagucci is all over the place. Most XXL from them is fat with stubby arms. Some not. I've never fit their ski stuff right but always fit the down sweater, rain jackets, synchillas fine.

I just went for the new saga stuff in XXL since its not super baggy anymore but should fit my big ass somewhere between tech/tour fit and freeride fit. But who knows.

Long winded but i was on a serious hunt to replace very aged gear this season. I've usually had to wear the more freeride/park rat stuff just cause tall T life bros stuff fits me normally...

https://outaware.com/custom.html

He makes a lot of ski patrol stuff too, so you might find a friendly ear.

Oh man, don't get me started on the woes of clothing sizing. I just bought a new Patagonia shell and a Houdini jacket. The Patagonia stuff is supposed to be consistently sized across their whole range but with that said they have different fits. The shell I bought (Triolet) is a "standard" fit and I'm a medium but it's a hair snug. The Houdini jacket is their "slim" fit. Large is perfect.

My problem with sizing is that my arms are longer than average person my height and my chest is pretty broad. I've completely given up on off the rack shirts and now I have a closet full of custom made dress shirts from Indochino. When I first did my measurements their system asked me to re-measure my chest and arms because the measurements were outside of their normal range, considering all of the other measurements. Even then, with the first order the sleeves were a hair shorter than I would have liked. That just confirmed why I can't buy off the rack stuff. It's either too tight around the shoulders or, if the shoulders fit then I feel like I'm wearing a loose poncho. Almost universally the sleeves are too short or if the sleeves are the right length it's because the rest of the shirt is huge.

A custom tailored ski shell would be awesome but it's hard to imagine that there would be a big enough market for it to make sense. Maybe one of the hundreds of trendy semi-tailored clothes companies, like Indochino, or Modern Tailor, or Proper Cloth will take it up as a spin off...

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Contact Mike screen name Micol at free ride systems.
    http://www.freeridesystems.com/
    His stuff is made in Colorado and for bigger people as well.

One of the major issues with any clothing - athletic or otherwise is there is no standards in sizing, at all!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Check out Klim and Columbia.

Slednecks tend to run a little fatter skiers, so Klim seems a little truer to size, plus it's lots tougher than most ski gear.

Columbia is my go to for tall and fat. I can wear Klim pants, but even they size out for really tall and fat, so wear Columbia jackets.

But yeah, as mentioned, seems like many brands aren't the same fit for size as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    https://outaware.com/custom.html

He makes a lot of ski patrol stuff too, so you might find a friendly ear.
    Wears like iron, breathes like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    My problem with sizing is that my arms are longer than average person my height and my chest is pretty broad....
    Hear hear. What's a good brand for people who have actually been to a gym? P-gucci XL fits great...in the chest/shoulders...and has about 12" extra fabric in the waist; while a large waist fits perfect, but is too snug up to. Arc used to be great, but the stuff I tried seems trending more towards "husky." Seems like Norrona is similar to Arc...better than Patagonia, but still not great.

Any brands make an actual "athletic" or tailored cut?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

You swole, bro...you need waterproof breathable sweat pants and string wife beater

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Check out Klim and Columbia.

Slednecks tend to run a little fatter skiers, so Klim seems a little truer to size, plus it's lots tougher than most ski gear.

Columbia is my go to for tall and fat. I can wear Klim pants, but even they size out for really tall and fat, so wear Columbia jackets.

But yeah, as mentioned, seems like many brands aren't the same fit for size as they used to be.
    2nd that call on Columbia. I wear a XXL and swim in their XXL jackets. Sometimes able to get away with a XLT instead if they have it. and I am 6'-6" and 240lbs.

Never tried, but nwt3k offers custom ski jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeson View Post
    Never tried, but nwt3k offers custom ski jackets.
    Yeah, I looked at their site. The sizes that they have would work, but I'd end up with arms too long. Someone from nwt3k wrote me and said to just cinch up the drawstrings at the bottom to make it fit better. That's not exactly a "custom made" jacket solution, is it?

Seems like there is probably someone that will do this for you in every town. I was interested in it at one point and found a place with all the cool patterns. Lady friend of mine and I were both into sewing. She ended up making me a bomber pair of gaiters that are still going strong. Only problem is the cost of the fabrics vs. the cost of sale outerwear. A lot of the outerwear I see on sale now and think wow that is less than the cost of the fabric. Probably can still do it for less than the $hudge msrp prices that I see though and you can get all the cool gore and polar tech fabrics and do whatever colors you want + major steeze points for your custom job. Just need the fabric + pattern + someone that is good at making stuff from patterns. Ask around for someone to do it on your local facebook groups.

Rather than custom made, I would think that it would be easier to get something that's big enough in the arms and chest and baggy in the waist and then have it altered so the body fits better. Maybe not possible if you're Shaq sized, but for the guys whose issue is that they are large, fit people vs. fat folk, it seems the easier way to go.

You could check out https://functionbeforefashion.com
    Mark has made stuff for quite a few guides around town. Friend had some bibs made and holding up well after a few years of snowmobiling. Made me a custom frame bag for my fat bike and it’s pretty bomber.

Liking the price point and fit here
    https://outdoorgearinc.com/

"Freeride cut" jackets are the baggier/looser/longer ones these days. Look for that terminology and you will get a better fitting jacket for a bigger guy.