Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Considering 183 Corvus (non-freebird) for lift assisted eurotouring. Typically make my trip in late March, so any and all conditions will be present. Anyone ski these much on steep hard snow?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    First day on the 193s after trading my 188s with Cascade Luke. Very happy, just as nimble but these go to eleven. They seem more than 5 cm longer. Track through stiff wind affected snow really well.
    Love it. Yea the 193s were skiable for me and they beg to rage. If my home Mtn catered more to zooming or I was MagUni’s size I’d keep. Turns out I’m a better skier in tighter/steeper terrain on 188s. 6’ 195

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Considering 183 Corvus (non-freebird) for lift assisted eurotouring. Typically make my trip in late March, so any and all conditions will be present. Anyone ski these much on steep hard snow?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    Nothing with exposure, but they do have great edge hold on the steeper hard snow I’ve been on.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    i have older non-freebird 193's (2018, front rocker + camber) set up with dynafit rad ft 2.0
    the skis have no problem with hard conditions...just use the binders you trust the best

i'll let someone on the new version comment on edge hold of those

Follow up question: Is it possible to generate energy/rebound from the tail on short turns? The complete lack of pop was my gripe with the OG Cochise. The new Cochise and Zero G 108's are better, but they have a bit of camber. Not looking for a slalom ski that will launch me out of a turn, obviously, but just a bit of rebound can save a lot of energy in long firm couloirs when you need to a make a whole bunch of turns. You might call it making "assisted jump turns."

Edit to add:

I'm also considering the Corvus Freebird (but put off by all the camber- am I wrong), QST 106's (liked, but didn't love last years version, but they actually fit where I ski in Italy pretty well, as opposed to CO where I'd prefer something burlier at that width) and some Zero G 105's (haven't ruled out a more uphill-focused ski).

Any comparisons welcome.

2019 Black Crows Corvus....bueller?

They have a lot of effective edge. I posted a video above, of a euro dude skiing an icy glacier on them, which looks promising. He base jumps at the end, so I guess that could imply that you might want to wear a parachute with them. For reference, a 191 Kartel, which is about 5cm longer on a straight pull, has about 5cm less effective edge than the 188 Corvus.

I feel like the Corvus gives you rebound if you’re on the edge or when loading up the ski in softer snow. They’re pretty stiff and I’m heavy so your mileage may vary.

Hard to answer the question about couloir skiing - are you talking about doing hop turns where you want to be travelling very slowly/carefully? Or somewhere you're able to generate speed and actually ski?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Hard to answer the question about couloir skiing - are you talking about doing hop turns where you want to be travelling very slowly/carefully? Or somewhere you're able to generate speed and actually ski?
    I'm talking about somewhere in the middle. Linked-hop turns if you will, where most of the turn happens in the air, but you're also using the energy from the previous turn to pop you into the next one. You can also slide a bit to load up the tail before making the hop turn. Does that make sense?

I've only found myself skiing terrian like that a handful of times, but I thought the Corvus had more than enough energy/pop to make easy/fun work of that terrain. Of course they only get better the more you can open them up and pickup speed.

Being a relatively light 2k(ish) grams really helps too. Although I'm used to much heavier skis - to someone used to lighter stuff these could feel like planks.

My 2019 188 Corvuses are 2200g. I think I got a pair from the heavy batch. With CAST and FKS 155s, as a pair they only weigh 30g less than my 191cm Billygoats.

I didn’t realize they had such variability in weight. If I remember right mine are 2070g.

I think Luke’s are lighter, too, around 2000g.

I’ve never weighed any of my skis.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’ve never weighed any of my skis.
    Your / my old 193s are 2190 & 2186
    Pretty close delta these days. Most 188s I’ve seen more like 2050

They, 188s too, don’t seem very heavy.

My 188's were 2050 on the money

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    What do you expect from this ski that the QST99 cant deliver? I know some guys who like the QST99 (or 106) for its wide range of applications. Seems like it should do what you want?
    Sold the QST's because I wanted to go a bit wider underfoot. The only thing I didnt like about the QST's was that I felt like I got a lot of chatter on groomers. Rode the Boundary Pro's two days ago at Squaw and LOVED them but still considering these and pulling the trigger as soon as I can make a decision.

At what point does wight come into effect ofer height? I've been a split boarder for years and trying to learn this whole "ski" thing still.

I'm now a member of the club. I've never been on a ski that combines very good speed and stability with the ease to pivot. Found my new daily driver.

My Atris can collect some dust for a while.

Can anyone compare the 188 or 193 to the 194 Devastator? From the rocker pics, it looks like the Corvus is much flatter with less rocker, but the Dev has a longer radius. Curious as to how much more stable the Corvus is (which is my assumption).

Does anyone have rocker pics of 2021 Corvus Freebird?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Can anyone compare the 188 or 193 to the 194 Devastator? From the rocker pics, it looks like the Corvus is much flatter with less rocker, but the Dev has a longer radius. Curious as to how much more stable the Corvus is (which is my assumption).
    I wouldn’t get hung up on the turn radius, almost identical dimensions as my invictus(26m) and looking at them side by side the Corvus looks straighter.

IS the consensus to size up or down?
    I usually ride the ~185 version of most ski's (185 OG Cochise, 186 OG bodacious, 186 Gunsmoke, 184 VW katana). Should I go for a 183 or 188 Corvus?
    I am 5'9 150lbs.

I think you’ll be fine on either. Pick the length for the purpose. Are you billy goating around or are you charging around in deeper and/or funky snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Compared to the super heavy 2nd year 194 Dev the Corvus is lighter, snappier, and more "fun" on a wide variety of terrain. The Corvus does have less rocker, but floats way better than the Dev. The Dev was more stable at very high speeds and more of a big mtn killer than the Corvus. But that's just in reference to the 2600g original Dev reviewed here: https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...rnt-devastator If you're asking about the lighter, later model of the Dev I'm not sure how they compare.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 02-10-2020 at 11:18 AM.