Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Corvus or Atris?

I’m looking to purchase a new setup for 50/50 resort/touring with the Marker Duke PTs. I have a line on last years Corvus and Atris for a good deal and am torn on one vs the other.

Im a former racer so the burliness of the Corvus is intriguing, but the more playful nature of the atris would be fun as well.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore2728 View Post
    I’m looking to purchase a new setup for 50/50 resort/touring with the Marker Duke PTs. I have a line on last years Corvus and Atris for a good deal and am torn on one vs the other.

Im a former racer so the burliness of the Corvus is intriguing, but the more playful nature of the atris would be fun as well.

You'll be working hard for your turns - that's a hefty setup to put it mildly.

I own both those skis. I love my Atris, as they are intuitive and easy and fun in almost any condition. I also like my Corvus, but a totally different ski. Pretty nimble, but unforgiving, but also more stable at speed than the Atris.

It really comes down to priorities, but both skis are great. Id say you give up ease, intuitiveness and playfulness by going the Corvus, whilst you lose some high end stability and a bit of edge hold by going Atris. If you like going fast and dont need to ride switch, Corvus sounds right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore2728 View Post

I’ll sell you an atris cheap. I’m an ex racer. I Ski the Corvus. It’s a blast. It would be awesome for a 50/50. It’s light enough. I have a Corvus FB as well and a ferox. The atris is a noodle. It’s fun... but not what I would want to ski all the time. My Corvus is my DD. A Corvus with a duke PT would be a killer set up.

Am I correct in thinking the Corvus would land somewhere between an Enforcer and a Cochise/Katana as far as stability vs maneuverability?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking the Corvus would land somewhere between an Enforcer and a Cochise/Katana as far as stability vs maneuverability?

The 193 is incredibly stable in my opinion. I’m pretty big though. What is great is they pivot so well. They’re a little dead on firmer groomers but hold an edge quite well.

I think the 188 was as stable as my 188 invictus just a different feel. The original Invictus was as stable as the Cochise, in between the 185 and 193.

What do you guys think of the Corvus in powder?
    I'm a tall guy in an aggressive stance (got the 188cm model). Have horrible problems with tip dives and are forced to ski in the backseat as to not start tomahawking.

Wrote to the Black Crows support (very nice and quick support), and told them about my problems. The guy I talked to had the same ski, and same problems. He said that he moved his own binding back -1cm from the recommended line and furthermore that Black Crows would recommend to move back the binding to a maximum of -2cm.

I went to the local skishop, The guy had previously worked in a Black Crows shop for 10 years . He looked at me like it was the most obvious thing and said "Everybody have their bindings on Black Crows moved back at least 2cm".

So I now got my bindings on -1,5 from recommended line.. Feels a bit better but still a huge feeling of the skis sometimes pulled behind due to getting dragged in the snow.

In all other conditions I think the skis are simply amazing. What are your experiences in powder

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    What do you guys think of the Corvus in powder?
    I'm a tall guy in an aggressive stance (got the 188cm model). Have horrible problems with tip dives and are forced to ski in the backseat as to not start tomahawking.

Wrote to the Black Crows support (very nice and quick support), and told them about my problems. The guy I talked to had the same ski, and same problems. He said that he moved his own binding back -1cm from the recommended line and furthermore that Black Crows would recommend to move back the binding to a maximum of -2cm.

I went to the local skishop, The guy had previously worked in a Black Crows shop for 10 years . He looked at me like it was the most obvious thing and said "Everybody have their bindings on Black Crows moved back at least 2cm".

So I now got my bindings on -1,5 from recommended line.. Feels a bit better but still a huge feeling of the skis sometimes pulled behind due to getting dragged in the snow.

In all other conditions I think the skis are simply amazing. What are your experiences in powder
    I had also the Corvus in 188 mounted with Shift as 50/50 ski. Sold them because I didn’t like the lack of floatation in powder. Was kinda pointless to skin up for powder turns and then not to have the right tool for it. It was surely doable to ski powder but more with a weight/unweight style than with letting them surf.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I had also the Corvus in 188 mounted with Shift as 50/50 ski. Sold them because I didn’t like the lack of floatation in powder. Was kinda pointless to skin up for powder turns and then not to have the right tool for it. It was surely doable to ski powder but more with a weight/unweight style than with letting them surf.
    Well, glad to hear I'm not going crazy.. What ski did you end up buying to replace the corvus?

Well, glad to hear I'm not going crazy.. What ski did you end up buying to replace the corvus?
    Most likely with a Rustler 11 in 188. I have those in 192 and in 188. I use the 192 primarily as resort powder ski, the 188 sees not much action yet. Gonna get the Pivots off and mount it with some Shifts or Dukes PT.

I ski my Corvus on the line. Anything over like 8” they are worthless. They want to stay on the bottom more then float in more then that. Honestly that’s how I feel the Cochise skis too in more snow then a foot. I usually grab a nocta for more then 8-10” as long as it’s pretty soft and fluffy. The atris works better in heavier snow then the nocta, if has a little more back bone. Atris reminds me of a skinnier rustler 11 that’s doesn’t suck like the rustler 10.

I got a bodacious for when the snow is heavy and the nocta won’t cut the mustard, because the atris wasn’t enough of a all mountain ski for me for hard snow days, I like the two sheets of metal.

So back to your Corvus, I’d try either a rustler 11 or a atris or that new anima is supposed to be pretty sick and closer to the rustler 11. The last years anima was not that much fun unless you were moving fast, had zero slow speed ability.

I’ll tell you what is interesting and I’ll post picks later, the Corvus is insanely close to the bodacious in overall tapers, the bodacious is just wider and the mount is back 2cm from my Corvus. Obviously there is a little camber on the bodacious so it feels a little more locked IMO but they flex and are cut very similarly.

2019 Black Crows Corvus....bueller?

I ski the 193 on the line and while they’re not super floaty I’ve skied 40” of powder and didn’t experience tip dive. You do have to focus on skiing upright and centered. Getting backseat is terrible in deep snow on these, the huge tail does all kinds of crazy things. I wouldn’t pick them for a day when it’s going to be insanely deep again but I skied Alta after a 21” storm and had a blast.

I tried them-1.5 back on a whim and it sucked in my experience, they weren’t nearly as maneuverable

My experience with the Corvus, 188, was exactly the same as yours. IMO the most hyped underperforming ski I’ve ever tried. Especially bad in heavy powder and chop. I’ve skied mostly OG Cochises for the last 7-8 years and even though they have poor reviews from many regarding their performance in powder I find them better than the Corvus. Especially in steep terrain with lots of different types of conditions. I also ski 188 Rustlers which I like for everything except hard snow. I also just bought Katanas 108. Do everything well so far, but I haven’t had them in deep snow. More fun to ski than any 108-112 ski I’ve ever tried. I highly recommend them.

My buddy has 183 weighing 195 he and floats in everything up to two feet. Beyond that I lend him my pontoons. But he learned to ski on them so that may help. Also maybe go faster. I have no other help. My older camber model floats fine in up to two feet.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    My buddy has 183 weighing 195 he and floats in everything up to two feet. Beyond that I lend him my pontoons. But he learned to ski on them so that may help. Also maybe go faster. I have no other help. My older camber model floats fine in up to two feet.

I think that’s a big thing. Speed. You have to ski them with speed. They wanna run.

In 3D snow I agree they like speed. I really like how manageable they are at lower speed on chalk/packed pow esp for their length.

I do feel my 188s are more ski than necessary much of the time -- would love a baby Corvus...95mm waist in 183 for skiing bumps/trees. Is the Daemon that ski?

I get really good float on the 188 Corvus, but I've always wondered if it's because I spent years skiing Spatulas and 138's in pow. So I might just be more comfortable with a flat camber ski than others? Who knows. It def responds best in pow for me to a more centered stance, skied at fast speeds. Either way, if it snows more than 8"-10" I've found I get the best float by leaving the Corvus at home and bringing a pow ski.

I have Noctas for pow and Corvus for everything else.

Jeebus. Ski faster. Some of you guys are overthinking this....

I've got 8-10 days on my 188s varying from bulletproof low tide crud to 10ish inches of 5% fluff on crust. The best days I had on these skis were the big pow day and the low tide days. All the in between days have felt like a battle to get the skis to do what I want them to. The Corvus perform best with room to run, and I like to ski fast, but maybe not as fast as I thought? They have to much tip dive as other have said on the denser pow days and get caught up when I try to make turns that aren't directly down the fall line. I loved the EHP when I owned it and was looking for a more modern alternative, but it has been years since I owned that ski and maybe my skiing has just changed too much. I had high hopes that I would click with the Corvus but have ended up on my 6 year old Steeple 102s w/extra stiff layup more often. Different ski for sure, but my Steeples are basically flat camber now after many hundreds of days on them.

Oh well, I'm not ready to give up on them quite yet, but if anyone is in the marker for a once drilled pair of 188s for Shifts at 313 let me know.

Maybe its the speed.. What do you guys consider as fast skiing?
    This was from yesterday: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CLDZeymY2gEu5zvGA (no offence will be taken according to the speed).
    Felt horrible doing the straight part in the end.. Just look at my position, that is not the position on a confident guy. Was a struggle to not let the skis getting dragged behind my body.

And I agree that the ski certainly enjoys a more upright skiing position, but still feel like I just end up in a backseat to keep the skis somewhat going

I haven't experienced the tip dive on my 193s, set up on the line w/ dynafits
    (2018 black w/ pink graphic, more trad shape)

it may just not match your skiing style -- you shouldn't be fighting them

Maybe its the speed.. What do you guys consider as fast skiing?
    This was from yesterday: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CLDZeymY2gEu5zvGA (no offence will be taken according to the speed).
    Felt horrible doing the straight part in the end.. Just look at my position, that is not the position on a confident guy. Was a struggle to not let the skis getting dragged behind my body.

And I agree that the ski certainly enjoys a more upright skiing position, but still feel like I just end up in a backseat to keep the skis somewhat going
    What is your boot you are skiing in and what is your binding? What size is your street shoe and what size is your boot? It looks like you start off fine, good first few turns and then you are definitely fighting something after you get knocked a little on that right footed turn towards the bottom of the face

Mine don’t like hot pow all that much either but excel in everything else.

I’m mounted on Rec line on my 188 with 11-degree boots and 0-delta Pivots and I get tip dive if I’m pussyfooting in hot pow. Like in slow sections I gotta pressure the calf to not go OTB. If I let them run it’s usually ok. FWIW I got the same on my 188 Animas.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    What is your boot you are skiing in and what is your binding? What size is your street shoe and what size is your boot? It looks like you start off fine, good first few turns and then you are definitely fighting something after you get knocked a little on that right footed turn towards the bottom of the face
    Dalbello Strike 130 with custom Intuition liner. Got them fitted at a well known bootfitter. I dont recall the size, however they are 327cm long and have foot size 44-45 EU.
    The binding is a Marker Baron

Dalbello Strike 130 with custom Intuition liner. Got them fitted at a well known bootfitter. I dont recall the size, however they are 327cm long and have foot size 44-45 EU.
    The binding is a Marker Baron
    You should try that foot scan app. See what size that app puts you in. That ski wants to be driven. Can’t really be driven from the back seat. Looks like you are fighting the boot more then the ski to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    You should try that foot scan app. See what size that app puts you in. That ski wants to be driven. Can’t really be driven from the back seat. Looks like you are fighting the boot more then the ski to me.
    Which app is that?