Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    The only thing not mentioned here is the weight - the old Corvus was 2200 grams in a 183 and I’d guess maybe 2400 or so for the 188. The new 188 is close to 2000 grams in a 188. Which I think brings it within a couple hundred grams of the Corvus Freebird and super close to a QST 106.

Of course a 2000g ski won’t ski chunder like some super heavy ski, but so far I’ve felt the stiff flex pattern and shape of the Corvus balances out the weight nicely. The ski has never felt twitchy or undergunned. It’s been surprising going from a 2600g ski (194 Devastator) to this and not really feeling a massive difference.

To me that weight makes it a perfect 50/50 ski for a Shift. I’d still toss an alpine binding if that’s all I needed this ski to do, but if you want to tour on it you’ve def got the option.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Are you sure on the weight? Did you weigh them or is this second hand?
    Reason I ask is that I got excited reading the new Blister review of this ski because it listed the weight at about 4100gm/pair for the 188.
    I then asked the guys from Black Crows (through their website) about the weight of the 183 and they said 4400/pair. I asked if they were sure and they said yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I weigh every ski that comes through my door. The 188 weighs 2050 per or like Blister claims 4100g a pair.
    I would bet some intern flunky is going off old stats

Quote Originally Posted by sinicity View Post
    Golden, you haven't by any chance also skied the Atris have you? I'm trying to get a comparison of the two now that the Corvus has been updated
    I have not skied the Corvus but own the Atris, Anima, and Navis freebird and am seriously considering a Corvus to have something that is more traditional, directional, and forward skiing (but still slarvable and can be shut down quickly) than the Atris. The Atris is a fun ski, but definitely more of a twin tip, centered-stance type of ski. You cannot really drive the tips like I’m guessing you can the Corvus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    I have not skied the Corvus but own the Atris, Anima, and Navis freebird and am seriously considering a Corvus to have something that is more traditional, directional, and forward skiing (but still slarvable and can be shut down quickly) than the Atris. The Atris is a fun ski, but definitely more of a twin tip, centered-stance type of ski. You cannot really drive the tips like I’m guessing you can the Corvus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Atris is fun and pretty stout for a playful ski but you can’t really drive it as hard as a lot of the directional chargers in that 108 class.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

How well do these fuckers pivot/slide/slarve compared to the metal katana? I’ve got 2009 katanas that evo says had camber but mine sure as hell never did: flat with long, gradual, low rocker.

^^ similar question... has anyone with time on the Noctas skied the new Corvus? I’m intrigued.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    How well do these fuckers pivot/slide/slarve compared to the metal katana? I’ve got 2009 katanas that evo says had camber but mine sure as hell never did: flat with long, gradual, low rocker.
    They slide/slarve really well. Can compare to the old Rossi Sickle as far as ease of pivoting. In fact, a little easier to slide or pivot because they’re narrower. More traditional wood/metal feel compared to the Sickle’s semi-glassy feel, substantial but not too stiff (FWIW, I’m 170#s on 183)

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    They slide/slarve really well. Can compare to the old Rossi Sickle as far as ease of pivoting. In fact, a little easier to slide or pivot because they’re narrower. More traditional wood/metal feel compared to the Sickle’s semi-glassy feel, substantial but not too stiff (FWIW, I’m 170#s on 183)
    Fuck! That might be the straw that broke my bank account’s back.

Is the diff between the 193 and 188 just length? Considering a pair to be mounted with shifts, tectons or freeraiders, but also looking at the blizz zero g 108 to save some weight / slightly different direction.
    Last edited by klauss; 02-08-2019 at 04:05 PM.

I ski the 193 with dedicated resort bindings though if I got the 188 I'd have put Shifts on them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

^Nice. Got the hook on a pair of tectons and just placed an order on the 188s. I wanted the 193s but the 188s should do. may end up using inserts.

Heads up if you're ordering from yurp to not pay via paypal as their exchange rates are disadvantageous to market rates. Realized the difference just in time.

2019 Black Crows Corvus....bueller?

Does this look off to anyone with the 2019s. Early rise starts then reverts at tip. Let’s see if this photo shows what I’m seeing. I have a voile strap at center of skis...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2440.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	269665

Yeah that's defective IMO. I saw a pair like that at EVO in denver. Seems like it should be a warranty. Compare with the profile shown in the BC video for the 2019 ski, and this is clearly wrong. I would imagine it would make the pivot and pow performance lower and potentially hooky/weird.

That's a bummer, but after checking the profile pics on blister these do look a bit off. The retailer no longer has 188s either. Argh

That camber looks A LOT like the miss-pressed sickle from an early production run.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

FYI, black crows is going to warranty the pair above

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    That camber looks A LOT like the miss-pressed sickle from an early production run.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Was going yo post this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Since I really dig the Katanesque profile of the new Corvus I couldn’t withstand getting one in 188 cm for a really good price. So far it absolutely meets my expectations. Skis like a more easy going version of the 191 metal Katanas. Not as damp and composed at the upper speed limit but can still be pushed pretty hard. A very nice combination mounted with a Shift.
    Reminds me very much of my 188 Rustlers 11 with the exception of a stiffer tail. The tails of R11 release more easily, though, being softer and having more rocker. Both very funny and for their weight substantial skis.

Flat camber

How is a flat/reverse camber ski to ski?

I'm looking for a new offpiste ski, but I'm in doubt whether I should get the freebird or the new 2019 'normal' Corvus.
    While I've heard a lot of good stuff about reverse camber, I'm afraid that it will feel short and basically like a snow blade? Does a reverse/flat camber ski still build up a pop in the end of a turn?

(I'm occasionally going to use it for touring, but the weight difference doesnt matter too much)

Coming from a race background and having a GS racecarver ski as my main ski, I reckon that a more traditional rocker-camber-rocker profile would suit me better but I'm really interested to hear your opinion about reverse/flat camber profiles
    Last edited by sirius; 03-05-2019 at 04:13 PM.

I’m not too impressed with my Corvus 188s. They ski fine, but they just don’t have enough backbone for me in steep chop compared to my OG Cochise 185s or 193s. I also find my Rustler 188s have a better top end especially when on edge.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    I’m not too impressed with my Corvus 188s. They ski fine, but they just don’t have enough backbone for me in steep chop compared to my OG Cochise 185s or 193s. I also find my Rustler 188s have a better top end especially when on edge.

Is that the 2019 model? If so, could you elaborate how it feels carving?

I think comparing them to an OG Cochise is a bit off. They’re totally different skis - Cochise was built to charge and sacrificed everything else for that goal. Corvus was built to do everything. If top end speed, pow or touring are all you care about there are skis in this width better at those specific things. If you want a 2000g ski that can do it all well - the Corvus is a damn fine option.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    If you want a 2000g ski that can do it all well - the Corvus is a damn fine option.

This.

Because of the long running length if put just slightly on edge, the Corvus is a very competent carver and hard snow ski.

Roqer I think you own(ed) a Katana V Werks ? If yes, how does the 2019 Corvus compares vs the Katana V Werks ?

I can see broad associations with Cochise but Corvus is way more versatile and yes lacks some of the top end. Though I do not hold my speed back at all on these and love them at mach - just conceding a little. I’d choose the Corvus 8 days out of 10 compared to Cochise. Been on Cochise about 30 days previously. Also owned Katana V-Werks.. they are similar in off piste manners and looseness. On packed snow or hard groomers I could feel the bio feedback of the carbon construction and the Corvus with metal is much smoother to me. Plus Corvus skis hard snow better. The Katana V was a favorite ski of mine but the soft/damageable construction paired with carbon feedback on certain days- caused me to move on. It’s great to have this ski shape in the arsenal again.
    I’ll also update that I too had an unusual rocker tip profile like Klauss and have had a warranty claim processed and approved by BC. Super easy and fast to work with. Replacements on the way.