Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    took out my new used 188s for the first time and love them. really unique feel. snappy is definitely the word. they are powerful and supportive, but their flex and lower weight just allows for a little more finesse than the cochises I've been skiing for years. and yeah, they slide around just as good as the OG cochise, but they just don't drive themselves through crud quite as well. I'll take that tradeoff. super fun. whatever turn shape I want, it's mine. really interested to see how they do in varied spring snow surfaces, which is where I've historically enjoyed my cochises the most.

demoed the 183s before buying some used 188s. 183s did feel quicker to me and they were stable enough, but I'm 5'10 and heavy and didn't find the 188s to be much work in tight spaces. so, I guess that doesn't help much, but yeah, you'll be fine on either.

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    took out my new used 188s for the first time and love them. really unique feel. snappy is definitely the word. they are powerful and supportive, but their flex and lower weight just allows for a little more finesse than the cochises I've been skiing for years. and yeah, they slide around just as good as the OG cochise, but they just don't drive themselves through crud quite as well. I'll take that tradeoff. super fun. whatever turn shape I want, it's mine. really interested to see how they do in varied spring snow surfaces, which is where I've historically enjoyed my cochises the most.

demoed the 183s before buying some used 188s. 183s did feel quicker to me and they were stable enough, but I'm 5'10 and heavy and didn't find the 188s to be much work in tight spaces. so, I guess that doesn't help much, but yeah, you'll be fine on either.
    Cool thanks. How is the pow performance/float compared to the OG cochise?

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post

I liked the fact that they carved better on groomers and generally felt more nimble than my OG Cochises. But in heavy chop and variable snow on steep terrain they didn’t compare with the Cochises. Sure they got me through it, but I had to back off more than I wanted. Especially in heavy spring snow they had the over the handlebars feel compared to my Cochises. The Cochises I use are 185 and 193. The Corvus was 188. I’m 186 lbs and 5’10”. Old guy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Cool thanks. How is the pow performance/float compared to the OG cochise?
    keep in mind ive skied the 188 corvus for one day and my impressions are obviously limited and definitely mixed in regards to pow performance. early in the morning I had them in really deep upside down and wind affected snow. I'm hesitant to make a judgment on float based on that. i sank pretty deep and hit bottom, but it was completely upside down snow with a dense wind affect as the cherry on top, so it might have just been the nature of the snow. I definitely noticed deflection in deep chop (everyone's tracks left DEEP trenches in that funny snow), and I had to stay very balanced when trying to ski fast through those conditions, and I couldn't trust them to bust right through and annihilate everything. nevertheless, it wasn't bad in the untouched.

the part where I really really dug the corvus was in the more packed down powder bumps in the wind-sheltered mid mountain trees. soft, not variable, just good resort snow. I didn't really need the heavy crud busting ability of cochises in those conditions, and I thought the corvus floated well in the occasional untouched pockets there. it was just more playful, and I've been skiing the new cochises for 2.5 seasons after blowing up my OGs, so playful was welcome. if you had a day where it snowed 5 inches on top of softish packed powder/chalk, I think I might prefer the corvus.

I wont be selling my cochises. I really like both. just need to ski them more. the next day after skiing the corvus I brought out the big pow boards and had a blast, and I haven't gotten out since then. maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post
    I liked the fact that they carved better on groomers and generally felt more nimble than my OG Cochises. But in heavy chop and variable snow on steep terrain they didn’t compare with the Cochises. Sure they got me through it, but I had to back off more than I wanted. Especially in heavy spring snow they had the over the handlebars feel compared to my Cochises. The Cochises I use are 185 and 193. The Corvus was 188. I’m 186 lbs and 5’10”. Old guy.

yes, absolutely had same impression in deep chop. that wasn't the part that got me excited. I guess there had to be at least one drawback to the light weight, and maybe really strong balanced skiers can just deal with it, but I found that I had to work harder in those conditions, whereas the cochise was just more fun when I wanted to go fast AF in variable.

but I really liked the flex. I imagine I'll end up agreeing with you when it comes to heavy spring snow and crud. those days skiing partially refrozen leftover pow that previously got sunfucked, when the sun won't come out enough to soften it up, I'll still want my cochises.

Quote Originally Posted by swissbro View Post

You skied Rustler 11's and Bodacious as well right? How do they compare? Basically I am in love with my OG bodacious but I would like somthing lighter. right now Rustler 11 and Corvus are the most likely candidates.

Question for anyone willing/able to take a ride in the waaayback machine... Am I right in thinking of the Corvus as kinda a narrower 4FRNT EHP? In that pretty stiff/stout + flat (not fully rockered like a Hoji). The main difference being not nearly as long a radius and straight as the EHP. But it sounds like the Corvus feels longer than its stated 21m radius.
    I'm searching for a 70/30 resort/bc ski to fit in between my old EHPs and touring Ravens.
    Thought someone here may have experience with the old EHP and new flat Corvus.
    Thx much! S

I have skied both Rustlers 188 and Bodacious 186. The Bodacious were my main powder ski when I knew that I would run into lots of variable conditions getting to the powder stashes. I've never skied a 118 wide ski that handles better on hard snow or even patches of ice. However, since I got my Rustlers, 2017-2018, I've rarely skied my Bodacious. The Rustlers are just more fun and less tiring to ski. They are really good on soft groomers and handle powder as well if not better than my Bodacious do. A much more intuitive ski for me than the Corvus and in my opinion skis better through variable snow. They are quick, relatively light, and very stable especially when on edge or any type of carve. Not too bad in soft moguls. Xavier's comments on the Rustler are pretty much aligned with my experience. Especially if you've skied the OG Bodacious and liked them , I think you would be happier with the Rustlers. I've also skied the Rustler 192s. Definitely a step us from the 188 with respect to power and stability and better suited to alpine terrain. Not so easy in bumps and tight trees compared to the 188.

Thanks, that is very helpful Swissbro!

I’ve got some flat cambered 193’s I didn’t jive with. Been looking to trade them but I’m probably about to post a for sale ad if anyone’s interested. Very light use.

I've been on the lookout for a shorter ski for "teaching", I volunteer once a week with a local group who does adaptive ski lessons. My 192 Cochise were a real liability at times while teaching with some of the sit ski gear that we use. I was in a local consignment shop and they had a pair of 184 Corvus mounted for my BSL with some STH 16s for $350. Seemed like a good deal and I wouldn't lose too much $ if I didn't like them.

5'11, 200lbs, ski at Snowbird and the 192 Cochise have been my every day ski if there's less than 6" of snow.

I took these Corvus out yesterday for a 3 tram lunch break thinking it would be a groomer day and I could test them out. Turned out the whole mountain was skiing really, really well with soft, smooth wind buff top to bottom. I like these skis. They feel quicker edge to edge than the Cochise, easier to snap off quick turns when needed but they are happy to go straight too. Groomer performance felt great, which is somewhere that I've always loved the Cochise, these Corvus were just as fun and railed big turns. Maybe it was just the shorter length and it now has me wondering if I'd also love a shorter length Cochise just as much. It seems like I'll be getting a lot more use out of these other than just using them on teaching days.

edit: coming back to update this after about 10 more days on these. they are my new favorite no-new-snow resort ski. I'll probably be selling the Cochise that they replaced. I'm curious about trying the 188 but these 184s are plenty stable at top speed.
    Last edited by dfinn; 02-26-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Once you get over the published turn radius and the lack of camber, I think they’re a great nimble charger.

They ski like a long radius ski and the lack of taper lets them ski groomers and hard snow really well in spite of the lack of camber.

so, I wonder if skiing a 182 GPO as my daily driver, would I be ok with the 176 length on the corvus as it has minimal tail rocker?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    so, I wonder if skiing a 182 GPO as my daily driver, would I be ok with the 176 length on the corvus as it has minimal tail rocker?
    Well it has no splay in the tail if that’s what you mean by minimal tail rocker. The whole ski is rockered but they’re pretty flat. The tail is substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Well it has no splay in the tail if that’s what you mean by minimal tail rocker. The whole ski is rockered but they’re pretty flat. The tail is substantial.
    No splay in tail is what I meant, so more effective edge?

Aggressive in my own mind

Once you put it on edge -- yes. Running flat they don't have a ton of contact. But it doesn't take much edge angle to engage a long effective edge.

Yeah, there isn’t much in the way of taper in the tip and tail so the widest parts are close the ends. Once they’re on edge I think they have great hold on pretty firm snow. It doesn’t take much to engage the edge because they’re so flat and lack splay.

I have a set of 183's with 4 or 5 days on them and would like to trade for 176's if anyone is interested. Love the ski but too new for the 183.

Just a quick FYI :
    I ordered a pair of 2020 Corvus 183, I weighted them since I planned to mount them with ATKs R12 for freetouring.
    One ski is 1991g, the other 2106g. So 115g difference between the 2 skis.
    I contacted BC and they say that it’s within the tolerance which is 130g for their skis made by the Amer factory (Salomon, Armada, Atomic, Faction, etc).
    I owned like 15 pairs of skis in the last 3 seasons, I’ve never seen more than a 60g difference on any pair.
    Also if you take the heavier ski, 2106g is 156g more than the thetorical 1950g from the specs, which is huge for touring.

Just a heads up, if you buy in a shop, bring your scale (and check the rocker carefully, see previous pages) !
    Last edited by stuntmanbo; 04-17-2020 at 06:31 AM.

That's pretty extreme, not so much for resort skiing, but touring...

I got mine with inserts for Shift and Tecton - with Tecton they are on the heavier side, but the performance for a touring ski is pretty amazing.

Has anyone skied the Corvus and can compare with the Freebird version? Obviously they are totally different rocker profiles, but just wonder why you'd not just go straight to the standard Corvus given its only about 100g more.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Just a quick FYI :
    I ordered a pair of 2020 Corvus 183, I weighted them since I planned to mount them with ATKs R12 for freetouring.
    One ski is 1991g, the other 2106g. So 115g difference between the 2 skis.
    I contacted BC and they say that it’s within the tolerance which is 130g for their skis made by the Amer factory (Salomon, Armada, Atomic, Faction, etc).
    I owned like 15 pairs of skis in the last 3 seasons, I’ve never seen more than a 60g difference on any pair.
    Also if you take the heavier ski, 2106g is 156g more than the thetorical 1950g from the specs, which is huge for touring.

Just a heads up, if you buy in a shop, bring your scale (and check the rocker carefully, see previous pages) !
    So finally I managed to get a new pair through the retailer (Sport Conrad), one ski is 1965g, other one 1975g, great.
    The rocker looks just a little bit like the faulty ones on the previous pages, though ... It's pretty mild, early rise starts then it goes back of about 1mm. I guess I won't feel it when skiing but still, when you buy new and don't get a good pair after one replacement it's a bit annoying ...

There is 1mm LESS space at the cyan mark vs at the green mark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jsQQVm.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	328790
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jsQ6DZ.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	328789  

2019 Black Crows Corvus....bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    So finally I managed to get a new pair through the retailer (Sport Conrad), one ski is 1965g, other one 1975g, great.
    The rocker looks just a little bit like the faulty ones on the previous pages, though ... It's pretty mild, early rise starts then it goes back of about 1mm. I guess I won't feel it when skiing but still, when you buy new and don't get a good pair after one replacement it's a bit annoying ...

There is 1mm LESS space at the cyan mark vs at the green mark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jsQQVm.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	328790
    You’re not going to notice. I had 188s and traded for 193s, they were different in the rocker profile, slightly. Skied the same, the 193s are just more stable.

I wonder how many people spend this much time measuring differences on cambered skis? I’m sure they’re slight differences in all skis.

Black Crow Corvus vs old school Volkl Katana

Anyone skied both skis? I have been looking for skis that perform like the old Volkl Katanas (2011-2014). I know they are making the katana 108 this year which I am very interested in. Volkl claims they are bringing the old katana back, but with all the changes the 108 brings i find myself hesitant and fearing they won’t be what I’m looking for (though still an amazing ski). I loved the old katanas cause they where stiff fast, great in pow, and you could rip tight turns on hard pack if you are aggressive enough. Not to mention you could ski them through a brick wall and not skip a beat. Wondering if the Corvus skis similar to the old katana seeing how it’s a stiff ski with a reverse chamber (like the old katanas) and a flat underfoot (unlike old katanas). Appreciate any information from someone with experience on both skis.

Holy fuck were these fun on soft groomers and bumps today. May dethrone the deathwish for me as the go to.

2019 Black Crows Corvus....bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Holy fuck were these fun on soft groomers and bumps today. May dethrone the deathwish for me as the go to.
    No idea if it’s an awesome price but powder 7 has them for under $500 if anyone is interested.