Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 68 of 68
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    That just baffles me. I fail to see how an "auto-sock" is going to give me better traction than a Snow tire.
    I saw a mid 90s Outback casually drive up a steep blue ice logging road with socks on all four, passing a group of stuck overlanding Tacomas. One of the most impressive auto feats I have seen personally... I wouldn’t doubt those.




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    8,989
    Bump for 2019-2020.
    I'm thinking of getting chains for those few days that we may need them in the Wasatch. My wheels are 275/45/R20. Any suggestions?
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    186
    I like Les Schwab’s quick fit. I have the same chains for both of my pickups and Jeep.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Bump for 2019-2020.
    I'm thinking of getting chains for those few days that we may need them in the Wasatch. My wheels are 275/45/R20. Any suggestions?
    Whatcha driving?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,952
    Whatever vehicle takes that low profile tire may not allow for chains to fit. There might be some cables that fit. Probably best to Google for that vehicle forum and see what they say actually works and doesn't damage the wheels or wheel wells.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven
    Posts
    47
    I bought my RUD Olypia Sprints here:
    https://chainstop.com/rud-olympia-sprint

    These guys get a thumbs up for shipping each chain in a "if it fits it ships" box from USPS but I felt bad for my sweet old mail lady for having to carry the two boxes to my doorstep.

    I've used the chains a bunch on my 3/4 ton Ram when I'm driving on logging roads with 2 sleds on the deck and they've been good. I've pulled a bunch of other rigs out of ditches when they weren't patient enough to spend 5 minutes putting chains on. So worth it.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,911
    This year I’m chaining up for plowing. Going chainless involved using momentum and wheelspin to plow uphill. I’m trying to be slower and more precise this year.

    I got 2 of those Rud’s with the blue and yellow setup pictured earlier in the thread cheap off craigslist. Adapted hd bungee cords for tensioners. So far so good. Got 2 more coming for the rears. My snow deposition zone makes me push downhill so it’s really easy to get augured in and unable to back out. It would be awesome to do a winter of plowing without getting stuck.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A73AE34E-6635-4F0D-ABB0-9FC35EE243D0.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	302626
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 11-16-2019 at 07:44 PM.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    8,989
    Cayenne. I see everything from $50 to $250, and everything from full tire coverage V bar link, D bar link to adjustable anti skid tire blocks. The wheels on my vehicle are HRE and I definitely don't want to ruin them. I'm running Blizzaks, so I am covered 99% of the time. Still, it's nice to have something in the back for those unforeseen emergency situations. Also, I would need to be able to change on the fly without using a lift or jack. Jack use in snowstorm sucks. I'm not so concerned about running them at 60mph, as I am with being able to get out of anything anytime.
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    30,228
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Whatever vehicle takes that low profile tire may not allow for chains to fit. There might be some cables that fit. Probably best to Google for that vehicle forum and see what they say actually works and doesn't damage the wheels or wheel wells.
    This..

    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Also, I would need to be able to change on the fly without using a lift or jack.
    You shouldn't need to jack or lift to put chains, cables, socks or spiders on.

    Clearance is going to be your issue especially if you've put big wheel & tire combo on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The wheels on my vehicle are HRE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    1,473
    Apologies if these have already been mentioned. I'm a fan of Konig/Thule XG pro chains. I've used them several times on a heavy front wheel drive Promaster Class B camper van. Legit. easy to install. Expensive, but I didn't want to fuck around with my family in a 9000 lb vehicle going into a death slide on black ice on the way up to Mission Ridge.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LF7GYK

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Apologies if these have already been mentioned. I'm a fan of Konig/Thule XG pro chains. I've used them several times on a heavy front wheel drive Promaster Class B camper van. Legit. easy to install. Expensive, but I didn't want to fuck around with my family in a 9000 lb vehicle going into a death slide on black ice on the way up to Mission Ridge.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LF7GYK
    That's the write up I was looking for, considering chains for my ProMaster, expensive but cheaper than getting snows.

    Only need them for snow days to get a mile from my camp up the access road at Sugarloaf, don't really plan to drive anywhere else with that vehicle in the winter.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    That's the write up I was looking for, considering chains for my ProMaster, expensive but cheaper than getting snows.

    Only need them for snow days to get a mile from my camp up the access road at Sugarloaf, don't really plan to drive anywhere else with that vehicle in the winter.
    they do the job for sure. my only complaint is you really need to keep speed down or they make quite a racket. I guess that's a good idea anyway on roads slippery enough to warrant chains. I've never been able to figure out where the noise comes from as there are zero marks in the wheel well, no signs of any slapping. Super easy to install, this vid shows the process well.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,911
    I’m stoked on plowing with 4 chains on. I was pushing a huge pile of wet snow chugging slow up a steep hill on wet ice this morning. Unreal.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette MI
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I’m stoked on plowing with 4 chains on. I was pushing a huge pile of wet snow chugging slow up a steep hill on wet ice this morning. Unreal.
    Yeah but when you get stuck its for real!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,470
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Cayenne. I see everything from $50 to $250, and everything from full tire coverage V bar link, D bar link to adjustable anti skid tire blocks. The wheels on my vehicle are HRE and I definitely don't want to ruin them. I'm running Blizzaks, so I am covered 99% of the time. Still, it's nice to have something in the back for those unforeseen emergency situations. Also, I would need to be able to change on the fly without using a lift or jack. Jack use in snowstorm sucks. I'm not so concerned about running them at 60mph, as I am with being able to get out of anything anytime.
    never used chains myself but I read about a hack to help with putting chains on where they took a 12" piece of 3/4" Plywood, screwed some wood scraps on top so the chain can sit in spaces left, drive on top and the chains sit free for the adjusting
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    15,361
    mattracks
    watch out for snakes

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    never used chains myself but I read about a hack to help with putting chains on where they took a 12" piece of 3/4" Plywood, screwed some wood scraps on top so the chain can sit in spaces left, drive on top and the chains sit free for the adjusting
    I've used pieces of 2x4 before, but plywood on the bottom to prevent sinking in snow would be money.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Yeah but when you get stuck its for real!
    No shit...I had to do a little wiggling to get unstuck yesterday and totally thought of that comment. If I bury it like this it’s heinously, brutally, buried.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •