Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DIY heated footbeds?

Anyone try making their own? Found some discussion on MTBR on this, and Amazon has cheap small heating pads, like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Eachbid-Heati...GGYF556N0Y7GQZ

Someone on MTBR said they built theirs with cheap pads like the ones linked, which power off of USB plugs, so can be run off cell phone external batteries - so that's a source for fairly cheap and safe power.

Seems like this is doable for a lot less $ than the commercial ski marketed boot heaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Following.
    Master of mediocrity.

It would seem simple enough. I never understood why hotronics are so spendy.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Following. Do you have the link to the MTBR thread?

Hotronics have a flat power wire. That alone would make a big difference in any shoe or boot.

Seems like you'd need something that could control how much power they were getting so you could dial the heat up or down. I'm sure that's simple enough to do, but a quick google search only reveals that I don't know anything about electronics.

Edit: looks like there are adjustable USB voltage regulators on Amazon for relatively cheap. But they're not really packaged to sit nicely on a ski boot, so that could be an issue.

There are also some cheap no-name heated insoles on Amazon.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You can likely source the parts you need at https://www.digikey.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It would seem simple enough. I never understood why hotronics are so spendy.
    because of dentists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Subscribed.

I've already got some therm-ice 1600 that I got a great deal on (my only complaint is the wires leads can break if you're touring a lot and repeatedly bending them.)

I'm mostly Interested in these for heated mittens. I'll just Use some old FTP gauntlet mitts, which have a stout, supportive, and padded gauntlet which may ptovide ideal battery storage

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I know a guy who uses heated socks with a 9v battery on really cold days. He got them at Walmart or something and they cost like $25.00.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

this?
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Heating-Inso...53.m1438.l2649

thinking of running the cord (its too short) thru a extra lower buckle hole.

DIY heated footbeds?

I’ve done it.

“Cozy feet” off of Amazon.
    Cut the cheap battery pack off. Put the heating element under insole and fish out the back of the liner. Solder on a usb plug and use those lipstick sized power packs with an on off button. Tuck the power pack in top of sock.

Total spend about $30

Worked great for the last two years

Part numbers?

I lost my Thermic charger and noticed that a new separate charger was about $80. That annoyed me enough to search for an option. I bought 2 sets of a cheaper model for $20 and took out the elements and put those in my custom footbed as a replacement for the Thermic. I got an extra charger and two sets of batteries for halft the prize of a new Thermic charger. To my surprise, I must say that I really don´t notice any difference in performance, apart from the battery clip that broke on both batteries.

They are no longer available, but there are many similar options. When you make something yourself, the hardest part is to get a battery, cable and power switch setup that is robust to handle the abuse from skiing. I have tried some options of diy during the years, but since there are some pretty good options now for less than $40 it´s hard to justify the work. It would be the enjoyment of using something home made rather than to get the function cheap.

I bought this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crivit-Inso.../dp/B01FDZZ0ME

I power these with a couple of usb battery packs. You can use the ones with a switch or just plug them in on the lift.

Thanks! I was looking at those. You know what voltage your battery packs are putting out? Reviews make it appear that they might need more than 3V, but expectations would obviously differ.
    Last edited by jono; 12-11-2018 at 10:26 PM.

I feel like there was big thread on Epic about this with a tutorial and all. The guy used Hotronic heating elements.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yeah, that seems like a logical approach, too, since Hotronic replacement elements are under $30 a pair and get you a sturdier looking wire that's flat.

https://www.amazon.com/Hotronic-Foot...9641229&sr=8-1
    Last edited by jono; 01-21-2020 at 02:15 PM.

DIY heated footbeds?

To solve the fragile cord issue, I used heat shrink tubing. I applied the first one then did a second one on the cord. Worked for several years on the wife’s heaters until we moved to a warmer area and sold them.

Bumping this - I haven't been able to find any real threads about it - pretty much nada everywhere.
    Would be glad for any pointers - but I am working on my own DIY project.

First test yesterday. It wasn't cold by any real standard, but as the sun went down, it started to get a little colder.
    Feet were a bit sweaty, and started to get cold. I really hardly notice, since it's so common. But since I needed to test my homebrew setup, I started them up.

I have to say, I've never had toes that were that nice and toasty. I'm mostly working on this project for my spouse, and wouldn't have really seriously considered them for myself. After yesterday, and given the cost I think I can do it for, I'm pretty sure I'll have a pair.

I'll probably have some more details I'm willing to share in the next week or so. [Trying some different batteries, trying to cut cost etc, wanting to consider safety, etc.] The goal is to have a setup that can go into more than one pair of boots without a lot of cost, have easily replaceable batteries, adjustable heat levels (perhaps only at the shop, not on the hill) and be pretty modular.

My guess is, if you're willing to solder a connection or two, and are even minimally DIY, this project will probably be sub $50.

Other options:
    There are some insoles+ batteries on Amazon right now. I have a pair, and while I haven't run them in boots, I've tinkered with them. They are quite capable for the price. I'd guess their run time estimate of 6+ hours is probably right.

If you don't want to go the $200 hottronics/thermic route, and don't want a DIY semi-ghetto route - those are probably the best. [The biggest downside I can see is that you can't buy the batteries separately. And they're probably pretty cheap cells that could die an early death. And if you don't want to DIY up some replacements, you'll just have to buy the whole thing again. Second downside is if you have a footbed you like and don't want to use this instead or put it on top of your current foot-bed. [They are pretty thin though.]

References:
    So, the $30 Amazon footbeds are called "Warmfits" The battery is external to the footbed. Hangs from your leg/boot, kinda like the hottronics ones. (There are several other similar products, where the battery is under the heel of the footbed. I don't have any experience with these, but can only imagine they're garbage.)

My DIY is starting with these super cheezy "Cozy products, Cozy Feet" - also on Amazon. [And running them not with 2xAA batteries, but with 3.7v lithium cells, or a larger (and higher voltage) battery pack. [Probably at something like 3-4v actual under load.]

Some considerations:
    Two batteries on each leg. Less fuss, cleaner. But have to create a way to suspend the battery on each boot/leg. And it's two batteries to fail or have problems with.

One bigger battery, run wires inside my shell pants with quick connects at the waist and ankles - keep the battery in a parka pocket, etc. [For testing, this is what I'm doing. Once I settle on a formula that works, and know more details, it becomes easier to go back to batteries on the boots.]

Glad for any pointers to other DIY project - my google foo hasn't found anything very useful.

Timely bump - was looking at a used Hotronics setup in gear swap, but I want to keep my custom footbeds, so that one wasn't right for me.

gregorys - please do post up any more details on your project, as you get it sorted out.

DIY heated footbeds?

Still running my ghetto setup and it works great. I posted info earlier in the thread.