Which to Mount? Rossignol Pro 150 / Turntable(FKS) OR Look Pivot 14 (No Turntable)

Hey Everyone,

I bought new skis but am debating about mounting some older bindings to them.

I have a pair of Rossignol Pro 150 / Turntable(FKS) and a pair of Look Pivot 14 (No Turntable)

Both pairs of bindings I acquired when buying used skis. I've used the Look Pivot 14 1 time but never used the Rossignol Pro 150 / Turntable(FKS).

I skied on a pair of Look HP99 Turn Tables forever and know all about their bomb proof construction elastic travel etc... I believe the look pivots are indemnified. I am not sure about the rossignols but they look better and have the turntable..

Thoughts?

Tim

Do NOT use the FKS. You will DIE.

Mount the other bindings. Send the turntable set to me for proper and safe disposal.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

What toe is on the Rossi Pro 150? If its a regular 4 screw Pivot toe MOUNT THEM and enjoy.
    If it's the original 3 screw Pro toe I would pass on mounting this toe. You should then mont the P14 toe with the FKS 15 heel.

That 14 heel is a fucking boat anchor.

It's not clear to me precisely which bindings you have to choose from. If you post photos, then we'll probably have decent advice for you.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    What toe is on the Rossi Pro 150? If its a regular 4 screw Pivot toe MOUNT THEM and enjoy.
    If it's the original 3 screw Pro toe I would pass on mounting this toe. You should then mont the P14 toe with the FKS 15 heel.

That 14 heel is a fucking boat anchor.
    Pro toe? Totally agree about the pivots "boat anchor"
    Last edited by vtSki75; 12-11-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    It's not clear to me precisely which bindings you have to choose from. If you post photos, then we'll probably have decent advice for you.

Ok. Here are the pics

Look Pivot (no turn table)
    Name:  look_pivot_no_turntable.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  286.2 KB

Rossi Pro 150 (Turntable)
    Name:  rossi_pro_150_turn_table.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  323.3 KB

Thanks for the photos.

I recommend that you mix&match by mounting the Rossi 150 heels with the Look Pivot14 toes (after removing those toe lifter plates, and shortening the toe screws to appropriate length). The design of those old Pivot14 toes is plasticky, but it's still pretty much unchanged for brand new 2019 Look DIN=14 toes, so that design can't be so bad. Those old slider toe AFD's aren't as nice as the newer extra-wide static teflon AFDs, but at least they are decently wide and work fine. Those old Rossi 150 FKS heels are basically unchanged in 2019, with lots of metal (good), but you should inspect the plastic parts for cracked-off missing sections, etc. If you need to bend those FKS brakes wider to fit your new skis, the brake arms sometimes snap off while you try to bend them, so be super-slow and careful while you bend. Also, if the forward pressure arms are stuck and won't turn using a screwdriver, you can usually get them unstuck by using vice grips to clamp onto those cylinders to turn them with more torque/leverage.

Personally, I would not mount the Pivot14 heels at all, merely because they tend to develop slop with age. Sure, they likely work fine and are safe, but there are other ancient beat-up models available out there that develop less slop, and have more metal to deliver more years of durability.

Those Rossi 150 toes use 4 screws (good), and likely have a lot of metal (good), but I don't have personal experience with how they ski, their transmission characteristics, their durability, etc...because whenever I acquire those toes, I always end up mixing&matching and substituting other toe models in for those Rossi 150 model toes. Maybe other people here might chime in to recommend those Rossi 150 toes over the Pivot14 toes that I recommend.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

FKS. At least the heel portion

Wow, that’s a very comprehensive post VI. I concur.

You’ve got narrow brakes on both. The Axial1 (not the Pivot) brakes are a pain to bend. The FKS are a pain too but a very workable pain. If you google “fks brake bending” there’s a great tutorial out there but it does require dissembling the heel plate. You can buy wider brakes: it’s the whole base plate/turntable, but they are pricey ($100).

100mm brakes were the only other width those Axial1 brakes were sold in (to best of my knowledge) but very hard to find and I agree, I’d not mount that binding unless on an old beater ski.

@Vitamin 1 - Thanks for sharing all that info. I wasn't thinking of mixing and matching initially. There's always the my Look HP99 heal. Kidding, but other than age the tech has not changed much. I'm not sure if I will mix and match. I can confirm the slop in the Look heal. Decisions decisions.
    Last edited by vtSki75; 12-13-2018 at 06:31 AM.