High instep boot?

I've got a wide last (102) high instep foot. I've had several boots, and without fail my feet go numb. The wide last can be dealt with by heating and widening then midfoot. But moulding won't help with a high instep. Custom footbeds don't help, neither do heel lifts. Even if I leave both foot buckles unlatched, the pressure on the top of the foot still makes them go numb.

Who else has this problem? If you do, what boots have you found that allow for a high instep foot? I have boots for inbounds and backcountry.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Tech Talk Forum.
    Jong!

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

High instep boot?

I’m in a Lange SX120 and had the tongue ground down. It’s not perfect, but it’s way improved.

I’ve recently been speculating that a 3 pc shell might be a better fit. The buckle latching the heel back into the back of the boot seems like a better idea than smashing it down with the forefoot buckle in an overlap boot

Just got a pair of Dalbello Lupo ax120 off of gear swap for BC, too soon to tell if it’s right yet...only one outing

I've got high arches and wide feet. I find that Tecnica boots work pretty well.

I have found for a high instep, the Tech Talk JONG 120s work pretty good

Get the red ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Scott Cosmos. Huge wide. Hugely instep.

Subscribed

A good bootfitter can make room over the instep. There are numerous ways: you can punch an instep, you can do liner mods, you can grind the zeppa, etc.

There are of course limits, and that's why high-volume boots exist. Lots of love for the new HV Tecnica last going around.

Scarpa Freedom SL/RS. Bonus: you can use either DIN or AT soles.

I have a very high instep but a D width foot and find the Atomic Hawx works well, YMMV

I have wide feet. Love these, though I do wish they were made in a 130 flex. And in red.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-sk...a-ten2-120-hvl

EDIT: Looks like Tecnica now makes the Mach 1 in LV, MV & MV. Fuck me, bought new boots a year too early.
    Last edited by The Tortoise; 12-10-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I’m in a Lange SX120 and had the tongue ground down. It’s not perfect, but it’s way improved.

I’ve recently been speculating that a 3 pc shell might be a better fit. The buckle latching the heel back into the back of the boot seems like a better idea than smashing it down with the forefoot buckle in an overlap boot

Just got a pair of Dalbello Lupo ax120 off of gear swap for BC, too soon to tell if it’s right yet...only one outing
    I think a 3 pc boot fits a high instep better. I have the some Lupo ax120s and they're way more comfortable than any overlap boot I've skiied.

How about high instep but narrow, low-volume foot, heel, ankle?

Salomon boots have always been friendly to my high arch. I do need to extend the toe and instep buckles about as far as they can go to avoid numbness, but they're comfy. If you can save a couple millimeters with a thinner insert, that can make a difference too.

I had that problem with some Scarpa Maestrales which are supposed to accommodate a high instep.
    Roxa Rx130, has an x like Praxis, for the Rx.

130 flex, super adjustable, tech inserts.

But above all, comfy.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by ten ply View Post
    Salomon boots have always been friendly to my high arch. I do need to extend the toe and instep buckles about as far as they can go to avoid numbness, but they're comfy. If you can save a couple millimeters with a thinner insert, that can make a difference too.
    New S/Pro HV might fix that. From trying it on it felt like it had a little more length. Fit my high instep well. Haven’t skied it yet but waiting for a pair to get dropped off.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ready2tumble View Post
    How about high instep but narrow, low-volume foot, heel, ankle?
    Thats my foot ^^ the Dynafit Vulcan worked great for me as an AT boot and I have a 4 buckle dalbello that came with power wraps

but the big thing with a high instep IME is that the top of my foot was bothered (medial cuniform) by the tongue of any liner in any ski boot until I got power wraps
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Same. Also helped that when i molded my Intuition powerwraps i duct taped a beer coozie over the top of my foot to allow for extra room.

I wouldn't have said that I have a particularly high instep, but I entered a world of pain when Scarpa switched from "wrap" liners to "tongue" liners. Crushing pain on the instep / forefoot, inability to buckle the lower two buckles, etc.

I found this with Maestrales, and then with T2* when I got new ones of those (my fourth or fifth pair of T2* boots, all of which fit wonderfully with zero effort until the tongue liners came along). After much fiddling around with a serious fitter of boots, I got the newest T2's to fit ok with tongue liner (abundant squashing of the tongue etc). Based on that, I grabbed some powerwrap liners for the Maestrales and they fit pretty well with a basic fitting and minimal fuss. By "T2*" I mean T2, T2x, T2eco, and whatever other names they've put on those things over the last 20 years or so.

Seems like my feet don't work well with intuition tongue liners (instep pain). They work great with the wrap liners that came in T2s for years, and ok with powerwraps.

What size? I've got a pair of Dalbello Panterra 130's I'm probably going to sell. They are fantastic for my high instep/high arch, and one of the highest performing, high-volume-foot boots out there. But it seems I bought a size too large (bad advice from a retailer, corrected by my ace bootfitter). They are 27.5's - let me know if interested (though probs won't sell until April).

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    I wouldn't have said that I have a particularly high instep, but I entered a world of pain when Scarpa switched from "wrap" liners to "tongue" liners. Crushing pain on the instep / forefoot, inability to buckle the lower two buckles, etc.

I found this with Maestrales, and then with T2* when I got new ones of those (my fourth or fifth pair of T2* boots, all of which fit wonderfully with zero effort until the tongue liners came along). After much fiddling around with a serious fitter of boots, I got the newest T2's to fit ok with tongue liner (abundant squashing of the tongue etc). Based on that, I grabbed some powerwrap liners for the Maestrales and they fit pretty well with a basic fitting and minimal fuss. By "T2*" I mean T2, T2x, T2eco, and whatever other names they've put on those things over the last 20 years or so.

Seems like my feet don't work well with intuition tongue liners (instep pain). They work great with the wrap liners that came in T2s for years, and ok with powerwraps.
    yup, with a high instep go pwrwrap for the win, if don't wrap it you gona have problems

hey we could be brothers, tell me was the postman oriental ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:  7cf086a4-0434-4164-b2ec-aba0a62ed02b.jpg
Views: 5439
Size:  53.9 KB
    This one but has dynafit cups and heels