Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Eldora pay to play

Just got this email from Eldora. Really trying to motivate people to carpool/take the bus or lost their ass with the Ikon deal and need to extract more money from Ikon customers?

As part of Eldora’s comprehensive PLAY FOREVER sustainability initiative, we are making changes to address the traffic and congestion issues that affect our guests on peak-visitation days during the mountain’s winter operating season. Eldora is motivated to address traffic and congestion to protect the environment, to improve the guest experience, and to improve access on peak visitation days (weekends, holidays, and TBD weather-driven high-visitation days between 12/15/18 and 4/14/15).

Changes include the following:
    FREE PARKING - COME WITH THREE, PARK FOR FREE! Every day of the season, vehicles carrying three or more passengers to Eldora will park for free. On most non-peak-visitation days—roughly 70% of the season—any vehicle, no matter how many passengers, will also park for free. LEARN MORE

FREE RTD BUS PASSES - Eldora will provide free bus day passes (good for round trip on the N Route) to all riders on the 8:10 AM and 10:10 AM RTD N Route buses from Boulder Transit Center (1800 14th St) to Eldora on certain Saturdays and Sundays through the peak season. This offer will initially take place on 12/8–9 and 12/15–16, with additional weekends to be determined. LEARN MORE

PAY PARKING - On peak-visitation days—Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and to-be-determined high-traffic week days between December 15 and April 14—vehicles with fewer than three occupants will be required to pay a per-vehicle parking fee of $20 at a parking payment kiosk or through a smartphone app. LEARN MORE

It is our hope that these new initiatives will encourage all of us to work together to address congestion and emissions and help protect the places we love to play.
    I’m fine with it as I’ll Always have at least 3 when skiing eldora.

I'm fine with it as I have no plans to ski Eldora

And of course, as an Ikon Pass holder, I never received this email. Thanks for posting this.

Here's a link to their policy page. Maybe they'll see fit to publish what their arbitrary high traffic Weekdays are as well.

https://www.eldora.com/plan-your-tri...parking-report

Screw them. Run a shuttle from the high school.

The last time I had an Eldora pass, they pissed me off (5 years ago). It only took them until the beginning of December this year to piss me off.

Looks like I always pack touring gear when I head up on a weekday - in case they blind side me.

I'll bet it's weekday powder days when they hit us - the only reason to ever ski there (and only on the West Ridge, etc.).

Double Screw them.
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-10-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Fuck Eldora. I bought an IKON pass in large part so I could quickly and cheaply ski with my 4 year old boy for half days on the weekend. Now they're announcing a parking fee. Fuck Eldora.

Five years ago, I had one of their limited/blackout days passes. I showed up on a Saturday and they told me "no-go".

I asked them why I couldn't find the blackout days on the website.

Their response was that they stopped selling season passes two weeks previous to that day, and so they took the info off the website.

I followed up: "so let me get this straight ... I already have a pass and there was no way to find out about today's blackout on the the website ???"

"Well sir, we stopped selling passes two weeks ago".

Screw you Eldora.
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-10-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Just got this email from Eldora. Really trying to motivate people to carpool/take the bus or lost their ass with the Ikon deal and need to extract more money from Ikon customers?
    That 20 dollar parking fee is just a deterrent; everyone hesitates to pay that but nobody is crying about $8 pints of beer. Parking fees are a great way to limit crowds by deterring whiners.

Eldora pay to play

I haven't been there forever but I remember parking outside a gate or lot when I skied Jenny Creek. Free road parking? I can walk a ways for $20.
    Edit to add: how will they regulate 3-fers only if they're going to make payment via a giant computerized credit card dildo or via phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    That 20 dollar parking fee is just a deterrent; everyone hesitates to pay that but nobody is crying about $8 pints of beer. Parking fees are a great way to limit crowds by deterring whiners.
    This is a false equivalency. No one is holding a gun to a boozer's head to feed their habit. OTOH, foisting this on people after they buy their passes is bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    I haven't been there forever but I remember parking outside a gate or lot when I skied Jenny Creek. Free road parking? I can walk a ways for $20.
    Edit to add: how will they regulate 3-fers only if they're going to make payment via a giant computerized credit card dildo or via phone?
    There are only about 8-10 spots.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-09-2018 at 02:36 AM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    There are only about 8-10 spots.

... Thom
    Ahh...so ski Guinn Friday evening, drink sixer, sleep in Subie, sell spot for $15 Saturday morning.

Sounds like Eldora is one upping Vail in the way they fuck you. Announcing a $20 parking fee now is a real kick in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Well then. Fuck you and Eldora.

Quote Originally Posted by Notchtop View Post
    Ahh...so ski Guinn Friday evening, drink sixer, sleep in Subie, sell spot for $15 Saturday morning.
    So the little ski area whose main attraction is a spontaneous few hours now requires two day's planning? Of course then, I'll just suck it up and go to Copper or WP (and pick up a pass for the Basin).

Remember Eldora's "Friends don't let friends drive I-70" bumper sticker?

I'm tempted to run a batch - substituting "Eldora" for "I-70".
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-10-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    Galibier Design

Eldora pay to play

Why all the butthurt? For anyone who has sat in the line of parking traffic stringing all the way back to the roundabout in Ned, this is a good thing. Free bus + more carpools + parking tax = easier and shorter drive. Then also revenue for them to address the parking situation long-term. Happy to carpool with anyone who’s game, and if you have kids, generally kids love a good ol’ bus ride.

Eldora.

Heh.

How much do you wanna bet that there's no coordination with RTD, and they'll have introduced yet another shit show into the mix.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Why all the butthurt? For anyone who has sat in the line of parking traffic stringing all the way back to the roundabout in Ned, this is a good thing. Free bus + more carpools + parking tax = easier and shorter drive. Then also revenue for them to address the parking situation long-term. Happy to carpool with anyone who’s game, and if you have kids, generally kids love a good ol’ bus ride.
    I know a bunch of parents who are going to be pissed. Ones that take their one kid up to ski. You can't ride a shuttle with a 5 year old when you're skiing a few hours.

The worst part is they don't outright say all the days that are covered. They decide a day is a "peak week day" because a bunch of pow fell and you want to ski 3hrs before work. That'll be $20.

The least they could do is coordinate a fucking carpool lot in Ned or Boulder. A place you can park and find other people going up quickly. Jackson has a similar setup.

This isn't going to do shit to congestion. Except put more people on the slopes and more money in Eldora's pocket.

Glad I ski Loveland.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    How much do you wanna bet that there's no coordination with RTD, and they'll have introduced yet another shit show into the mix.
    I’d bet it’ll take RTD at least a few weekends to see what the impact is and how many busses they need to add to serve as Eldora’s shuttle service. At least you’ll know how big of a shit show it is before you get up there.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    The least they could do is coordinate a fucking carpool lot in Ned or Boulder. A place you can park and find other people going up quickly. Jackson has a similar setup.

Glad I ski Loveland.
    Yup, there's the high school they can run a shuttle from, and I'll bet they can do something at Barker Dam (they do for Nedfest after all).

I thought it wouldn't be 'till January when I "supplemented" with an A-Basin pass.

Fucking Ikonic.
    Galibier Design

Eldora pay to play

5th St at Canyon in Boulder is a half block dead-end street with free city parking and an N-route RTD stop at the corner. Park a car there and carpool up the canyon, or grab skiers waiting at corner for the next bus.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    I’m with you here. While I’m not a big Eldora skier, I have gone up a couple times this year. Usually when it’s a late start kind of day or skiing with niece/newphew. Sitting in that traffic backed up to Ned sucks. They needed to do something to address the new influx of ikonic people. There just are not enough parking spots. Seems like a good solution, pay 20 bucks or fill your car.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    I’m with you here. While I’m not a big Eldora skier, I have gone up a couple times this year. Usually when it’s a late start kind of day or skiing with niece/newphew. Sitting in that traffic backed up to Ned sucks. They needed to do something to address the new influx of ikonic people. There just are not enough parking spots. Seems like a good solution, pay 20 bucks or fill your car.
    Nope, this is horseshit. Here's why:

The whole point of Eldora for Boulder County people is that you can run up for a few turns. No more running up with your kid for a half weekend day. You pay $800 for you and your kid for the year, and now to ski 10 weekend days adds $200? Bullshit.

You ever take the bus? Standing room only now. Unless they add 3 times the buses, there is no way you are getting up there on the bus. Total shit show.

The other reason to have an Eldora pass for Boulder people is to run up on a weekday for a half day. $20 powder surcharge for 3 mini powder runs before the snow runs out now. Nice to announce that AFTER folks have bought their passes.

Which is the biggest bullshit. Announcing it after people already bought their pass. They are taking hostages. Folks have no choice.

If I was an Eldora parent with a little kid I'd be so so so pissed. This is a big middle finger to their skier base.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Nope, this is horseshit. Here's why:

The whole point of Eldora for Boulder County people is that you can run up for a few turns. No more running up with your kid for a half weekend day. You pay $800 for you and your kid for the year, and now to ski 10 weekend days adds $200? Bullshit.

You ever take the bus? Standing room only now. Unless they add 3 times the buses, there is no way you are getting up there on the bus. Total shit show.

The other reason to have an Eldora pass for Boulder people is to run up on a weekday for a half day. $20 powder surcharge for 3 mini powder runs before the snow runs out now. Nice to announce that AFTER folks have bought their passes.

Which is the biggest bullshit. Announcing it after people already bought their pass. They are taking hostages. Folks have no choice.

If I was an Eldora parent with a little kid I'd be so so so pissed. This is a big middle finger to their skier base.

It could really suck if you already dropped a bunch of money on the kids race program and the free buss doesn’t get you there in time. Not sure if that’s the case or not.

Has anyone tried to skin from the Hesse trail head to the base of Corona? Are the trees/shrubs just too thick? Thinking no parking fee and first in line for Corona. If it’s not total bush whacking it can’t take more then 15-20 minutes.

Ugh. This seems pretty fucking poorly thought out. I'd been thinking about reducing my skiing related carbon output with the bus and with carpooling but this just fucking pisses me off.

Further, as has been pointed out, announcing this after season passes have been on sale for 8 damn months or whatever its been and the season is in swing is damn lame. Honestly, had I known, I would have maybe bought loveland instead of Ikon because I planned to mostly go to Eldora because its close. Would have at least been able have CONSIDERED this information in my purchasing decision.

This will accomplish what they want. Fewer cars or more people for the same amount of cars.

Harder to carpool when you're just going up for a few turns.

I'm glad I saw this; I would have been fucking LIVID to have driven up there and then been, seemingly out of the blue, asked to pay for something that's been complimentary forever, including to kick off the season. I also got no fucking email about this either. People are going to be way more pissed than Eldora can imagine. FB account is already getting blown up about it.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

My only surprise is that Eldora hadn’t fucked this up years ago.