New Quiver Ski - Big Sky/Targhee

Looking to buy a new one quiver 100-110 underfoot ski to use here in Big Sky. Purchased the Nordica Enforcers last year and I like them but not what I was expecting. I am 6’ 195 and like to ski all types of terrain (primarily crud, powder and fun on groomers). Like to have a stable ski that is also playful if needed (don’t jump-getting old). So far my list is (going to try to demo but its too early):

Salomon QST 106
    Black Crows Altris
    Icelandic Nomad 105

Any opinions on these or others? Thanks guys!!!

Screams ON3P Wrenegade 108

Blizzard Rustler

What's wrong with the Nordicas?

I hated the QST106. Among other issues, I think they're not very stiff torsionally, which makes the tips less predictable.
    Been a while since I was on the Nomad, but I remember them being fine. Not spectacular in any particular way, but not bad either.
    Never skied the Altris.

Seems like everything you're looking at is relatively light with a relatively short turning radius. Which is pretty much exactly the opposite of what I'd think would work well for a person of your size that's looking for a stable ski to be used at Big Sky.

If for nothing other than the durability, I'd probably have a wren 108 on the list.

New Quiver Ski - Big Sky/Targhee

I tried the QST106 and liked it, but didn't love it. Same with the Wren - but I had some binding issues with the demo so didn't ski them even a full run. I got on the Kartel 108 and freaking loved them! Way more playful and easy to ski but still stable. Unfortunately they were out of stock so I got a Volkl 108 and am very happy. Love them at Big Sky and Bridger.
    Last edited by WMD; 12-07-2018 at 06:46 PM.

I've been skiing the Kartel 108 this year at BS and really like them. Did not like the Wren 108 at all, it's a very one dimensional ski IMO and Big Sky has a lot of varied terrain and snow. Yeah you want to drive your tips at full speed sometimes, but you also need something you can whip around in the trees on Andesite. Last year I was on Pinnacle 105 and that proved to be a great daily driver that excels in soft snow, which we had a lot of last year...this year remains to be seen. I will say the K108 totally rails on groomers and hardpack for a 108...that kind of surprised me. But it still lets you tell it where to go, unlike the Wren which will try to tell you where to go if you aren't constantly cracking the whip.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I've been skiing the Kartel 108 this year at BS and really like them. Did not like the Wren 108 at all, it's a very one dimensional ski IMO and Big Sky has a lot of varied terrain and snow. Yeah you want to drive your tips at full speed sometimes, but you also need something you can whip around in the trees on Andesite. Last year I was on Pinnacle 105 and that proved to be a great daily driver that excels in soft snow, which we had a lot of last year...this year remains to be seen. I will say the K108 totally rails on groomers and hardpack for a 108...that kind of surprised me. But it still lets you tell it where to go, unlike the Wren which will try to tell you where to go if you aren't constantly cracking the whip.
    My feeling too

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Screams ON3P Wrenegade 108
    Yeah, sounds exactly like the wren 108. And I definitely don’t find it demanding or one-dimensional at all.

I haven’t skied the newer Kartel 108s but that’s obviously a good option if you like skiing center mounted skis and jibbing/spinning/skiing switch.

Thanks guys!! Lots of good info here. Will definitely demo the wrenagade 108. The Kartel seems a little too parky/jibby for a 36 yo who doesn’t do much jumping/park stuff. Will also demo the Black Crows as well.

Any opinions on the 4Frnt MSP 99?? Great deals on those

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10 View Post
    Thanks guys!! Lots of good info here. Will definitely demo the wrenagade 108. The Kartel seems a little too parky/jibby for a 36 yo who doesn’t do much jumping/park stuff. Will also demo the Black Crows as well.

Any opinions on the 4Frnt MSP 99?? Great deals on those
    Don't underestimate the K108. I've never done a spin in my life, and like to feel the front of my boots, but the K108 surprised me in a demo.

The K108 gives up top end and directionality compared with the W, but doesn't feel as jibby as you'd expect.

Now, don't trust me, 'coz I've only demoed them, but by all means don't overlook the K108 if you get to a demo. I think you'll be as surprised as i was.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Play all day on the X106. I am not 200# like you but it handles all very well.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I’m 40, never spin/ski switch. I do Jump off shit occasionally. I absolutely love my kartel 108s, one of the funnest skis I’ve been on.

Awesome ski for BS/Moonlight and the ridge

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    I’m 40, never spin/ski switch. I do Jump off shit occasionally. I absolutely love my kartel 108s, one of the funnest skis I’ve been on.

Awesome ski for BS/Moonlight and the ridge
    Right on. I'm 53 and no longer catch air or ride in the park (blew my ACL in the park on my 50th b-day and I was like okay that's enough of that). K108 is just a fun all around daily driver IMO. Has a nimbleness I really appreciate, but it can handle speed too. Tails never feel grabby, they just do what I want and that's what I like. They seem to perform pretty well in soft snow as well, and so far are holding up well to the abuse of Big Sky rocks. Very happy with them.

As OP noted, best way to know what suits your style is to demo before you buy. Last year East Slope Outdoors in the Big Sky town center had ON3P skis available for demo, and for sale too.