Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Socal 2018/2019

Had high hopes for this storm, but it didn't turn out well. Heard this from Baldy today: "The fluctuating snow level made Baldy an Ice Sheet. Things are pretty locked down." The heavy rain coming in tomorrow isn't going to help.

Maybe San G is high enough to be winning.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Had high hopes for this storm, but it didn't turn out well. Heard this from Baldy today: "The fluctuating snow level made Baldy an Ice Sheet. Things are pretty locked down." The heavy rain coming in tomorrow isn't going to help.

Maybe San G is high enough to be winning.
    Anyone have intel on what the mountain is looking like for the weekend? I've got a ticket for tomorrow, but don't want to even bother if it's going to be ice sheet garbage or a mud hole. Sounds like the warm rain yesterday totally boned chances of things being good.

Well NOAA claims a low of 33 tonight and a high of 50 with 5 mph wind tomorrow, at 10,000 ft! So the groomed slopes on Thunder might get soft. But NOAA is working with no pay, so who knows. Post some photos if you go up, interested in coverage on Baldy peak.

Last weekend only the easy way and Skyline were groomed, which pulled up some rocks on the last pitch. Robin's was still bumpy with saplings/rocks/ditch but skis well. Goldridge had good coverage.

Don't know if the snow/rain this past week was a net gain or loss regarding the base.

Per a post on their site last night: Lots of precipitation today, but that is now in the past. The forecast calls for sunny skies tomorrow to kick off the MLK Weekend and through the 10 day forecast period. We will be open for Skiing & Snowboarding, Scenic Rides and Snow Tubing first thing tomorrow morning.Lifts #2 & #3 are expected with groomed conditions. The Gulch, Toilet Bowl to Bonanza, Easy Rd & Skyline are on the grooming list for tonight. The rest of Thunder Mountain will be closed while we look at the snow conditions and pack.

Doesn't really sound worth the drive...then again, I've already spent the money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Might as well work on your super-g carves down Bonanza then.

Would be nice if they plugged the webcams back in. Maybe they have coverage on chair 4 and get it running, it is the most likely get soft in Jan. On the plus side there likely isn't snow along the road, so snow play traffic shouldn't be bad.

Sorry man, no way 4 will be running until we get a big dump.

baldy’s in-ish. not amazing coverage but fun corn skiing continuous from the summit to 100’ vertical above the ski hut as of 1/20
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	265689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2332.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	606.4 KB 
ID:	265690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2257.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	265691

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^Thanks for posting. Cool you got some good corn turns. Did you guys ski down near the summer trail or one of the chutes? From the one photo, chutes look a bit dirty.

The crust was firm enough to not break through? Hike up from bottom or take the Backbone?

@1000-oaks - hiked up the bowl down the west shoulder. it rained to 10k in the 1/17 storm so there's a huge raincrust on top, never punched thru.

@406 the chutes looked pretty bony but the shoulder of the bowl (in the direction of the summer trail) was pretty fat.

Any info on badden? Thinking about going for a peak at it tomorrow. Gonna bring JR and strap him to my back if it’s rideable any info would be appreciated.

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	931.8 KB 
ID:	267457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3290.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	267458
    Took jr up made it 2/3 of the way up badden before he started to get cold. Strapped board to feet and threw jr on my back. On way down he kept saying daddy I’m scared. I was puckered cause it was survival snowboarding to get down to say the least he was pumped at the bottom. Here’s a few shots I snapped really boney and low tide. By the looks of it that’s gonna change hope to cross paths with some of you on here this next week. If anyone wants to meet up for a tour message me.

What do folks think of this system that's coming through during the weekend? Enough to repair Baldy? Would love to go north but have too much shit planned for the weekend. Contemplating a Monday excursion though...

A few degrees either way will make or break it with regard to Baldy, it's going to be close.

Hard to say without knowing what Thunder Mtn looked like prior to storm. Good sign that the tops of the peaks are getting snow, but needs to cool down significantly.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 1.01.57 PM.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	815.4 KB 
ID:	267521

Pretty juiced about the snow the San Bernardino mtns are getting this weekend. Recent local reports or forecasts for Baldy or Sugarloaf ski conditions? Interested in a Monday excursion, in case anyone has tips or interest in meeting up with a novice. Have gear and some common sense

Snow line is hovering about 7,800 feet, keep your fingers crossed that it holds and then drops around 4pm.

Might be a mistake, but I just purchased a lift ticket for Baldy ski area for tomorrow. Hopefully they get stuff running and traffic not too bad.

headed up to dawn patrol the bowl tomorrow. stoked.

Mountain high got some good snow, baldy should have potential just be safe

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Socal 2018/2019

skin/ski from the car on baldy this morning 2/6. super fat, maybe even more than 2017. quite consolidated with a handful of cms of wind transported on top. yew!

Name:	IMG_2449.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	268435
    Last edited by bbrianburke; 02-07-2019 at 04:02 PM.

^^^Nice.

I ended up changing my mind on baldy ski area and not going up today, planning for Thursday. Sounds like 4 did not open today, but no other update on conditions.