Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Socal 2018/2019

Socal 2018/2019

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    anyone know if the gate on highway 2 at vincent gap is open?
    You ready to meet up and go for a gruel?
    https://youtu.be/6hZzlM0ZYPU

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^Thanks, it would be nice if they kept their webpage up to date...did so in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by sticksplitman View Post
    You ready to meet up and go for a gruel?
    https://youtu.be/6hZzlM0ZYPU

Nice video! Really upping the game with the drone footage...that terrain off Throop sure is fun. The caltrans guys didn't yell at you when biking past as they worked?

really cool drone shots sticksplit!

Nice video! Really upping the game with the drone footage...that terrain off Throop sure is fun. The caltrans guys didn't yell at you when biking past as they worked?
    Timing is key with cal trans

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    really cool drone shots sticksplit!
    Thanks any of you guys are welcome to come meet up. We are going again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sticksplitman View Post
    Thanks any of you guys are welcome to come meet up. We are going again this weekend.

What day are you planning? Or are you camping again? Been awfully warm, but I would like to get one more SoCal day in, so on the fence.

Fun day on Throop, warm out there.

Fun day on Throop, warm out there.
    Fun seeing you out there. Did another lap later. Super fun!!!!

Socal 2018/2019

https://youtu.be/s4TMg0tKr6c
    This was 2 weekends ago!!! Enjoy

^^^Same, nice turns on Burnham Saturday!

4/27/2019, Biked up ACH from Vincent Gap to snow line on Throop Peak.

Biking:

booting:

balloon popping:

Skiing:

Me:

Lap number 2, I like how the highway seems just below us:

Buddy dropped his axe on the first run, so he repeated. I went for the far east chute that starts along the PCT. Boot pack in the right, second lap tracks on lookers left:

Such an easy roll back to the truck:

It was crazy warm out, but still good turns. I can't imagine snow will last much longer unless weather cools off.

^^^Same, nice turns on Burnham Saturday!

4/27/2019, Biked up ACH from Vincent Gap to snow line on Throop Peak.

Biking:

booting:

balloon popping:

Skiing:

Me:

Lap number 2, I like how the highway seems just below us:

Buddy dropped his axe on the first run, so he repeated. I went for the far east chute that starts along the PCT. Boot pack in the right, second lap tracks on lookers left:

Such an easy roll back to the truck:

It was crazy warm out, but still good turns. I can't imagine snow will last much longer unless weather cools off.
    Crazy how much melts every week. Looks like a lot less by the road then the weekend before. Might go poke around again this weekend. The cups came fast!!!! Rad shots till next time.🤙

POV of lower part of lap #2 Saturday...had a little mandatory air that good the blood pumping:
    http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00883_001_480.mp4

http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00883_001_480.mp4

Lol, that's similar to a glide crack I skimmed over on the next chute to your left, but couldn't see the bottom from above. Didn't hear running water, so gave it a go. Spooky being on the steeps and pointing over an unknown like that.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-21-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Lol, that's similar to a creep gap I skimmed over on the next chute to your left, but couldn't see the bottom from above. Didn't hear running water, so gave it a go. Spooky being on the steeps and pointing over an unknown like that.
    Ready for another go?

anyone know if the gate on 2 at Vincent gap was open prior to the storms? Or is open now?

According to Caltrans site, looks like it might be open. BP area didn't get nearly as much snow from this storm as Bear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60490519_10217118070796866_621995656273199104_o.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	283297

^^^caltrans site has had it open for a few months now, not sure why they are not correct this year.

GTK, I hadn't been watching the storms and someone told me 8" of new on the ground at snow summit, figures it would skip the gabes.

Went yesterday can drive to throop it’s almost all gone crazy how fast it goes. Can still ride the main chute have to down hike a little bit.

Good turns on what was left? Did new snow smooth out the suncups and dirty snow?

No more sun cups. Was pretty good. Just a lot has melted. I walked the Boy Scout trail. Mostly dirt the hole way. I have some drone footage I’ll try to upload and post a frame grab. Was worth it for sure.

https://youtu.be/3TBvBXXqqzI

Did the long slog up the South fork to Jepson Peak yesterday, June 2nd. I have never found good spring conditions near San Gorgonio and not a fan of the slog up South Fork, so have not been up that way in awhile. But deep snow pack and a late season storm to smooth out the sun cups got me motivated to take the risk. Got lucky and snow was perfect smooth couple inches of soft on firm.

Biked up the road to poopout hill:

Most of the pavement seems to be gone, post fire. So ride is more interesting, but not as easy as spinning up on pavement.

No bikes! time to hike:

Not much snow below 9000 ft(couple big piles of avalanche debris in South fork Meadows:

Check out the pile of avalanche debris, this spilled over from the next drainage over(lookers right). Took skis/boots off here on way down, ~9000 ft:

Finally starting to get near the top:

Upper last part got to around 35 degrees:

Racing against the storm all day, only one clap of thunder, but we didn't spend much time on summit. Ironic for June 2nd, but it was cold:

Skiing was perfect:

Exit went smoothly, but took awhile. Sure was nice rolling down the road on the bike to the truck vs walking the final 4 miles. 16 miles & 4500 vert ft total for the day. Vertical gain was about: 1000 ft on bike, 1500 on foot and 2000 on ski. Awesome day, but a lot of work.

Pretty sure that was my last SoCal skiing for the season, Dec to June is a good season. Sure was a good one, I have had years with more days, but every day was 5 star this year except one firm day on Mt. San Antonio. Also skied 2 new to me peaks(Jepson & Tahquitz) and found a couple new routes on other peaks. Time to dust off the surfboard and get some miles on the mountain bike. Fingers crossed to winter 2020, cheers.

Saw ur post on strava and was hoping for some details here. Looks epic!

Jepson to Charleton traverse

Technically this was 2020 but within 4 days so I guess this thread is good enough. Went up S Fork trail with a couple friends 1/4/20. Goal was Jepson but predictably super wind stripped/icy. Ended up booting up N couloir on Jepson and then traversing over to Charlton Peak for a mix of fun to average snow. Really good in some sections, really bad in others. Played pow detective the entire descent. Skinning from car and skiing back to car was an added bonus.