Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Socal 2018/2019

^^^Nice

I wasn't sure what snow stability would be like, so planned low angle and in the trees for Sunday in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. First time in there since the burn and happy to find the skiing still good. Lack of getting rad was made up for with awesome powder turns for over 3k vert ft back to the road.
    A couple pov videos from the way down:
    http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00823_480.mp4

http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00826_480.mp4

those are some fine looking conditions 406, nice

Looks great, 406. Makes me want to live in SoCal again

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    pretty spooky moment, on our way back to the car we watched a loose wet release run 1000' from the top of the standard up-route of the bowl. 1:30 in the afternoon on a super warm day. the new snow running on a pen hard rain crust. probably 6 people partially caught and carried, no burials fortunately.

Attachment 271156
    the top of the booter visible to the left of the start zone (measured at even 40 degrees at the top)
    Only time I skied it in January 2011, I saw something similar. But it was more looker's left off the shoulder. Similar time of day and I think somebody may have blown out their knee, but otherwise lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Anyone hit Mt Waterman? Was actually open this past weekend.

Guys at Ski Net said they were up there Sunday and it was rad

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4/6 storm snow fell with a shitload of swe and flash-froze. should make for primo corn skiing up on baldy this weekend.

Sunrise looks awesome.

Charleton/ Jepson good 2 weeks ago. Masssive debris field at the bottom of Charleton. Snow tonight, maybe a lap Wednesday?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1199.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	273536

Weather forecast for Saturday 3/9 was looking perfect for nice conditions on the Baldy peak chutes, but it ended up being colder and more windy than forecast.
    Search and rescue at the trailhead is telling:

The ski hut:

In the past I either get to the peak from the Devils backbone or in the general area of the summer trail. Was being lazy and wanted to see if south facing snow was getting soft so started up the hiker route in the middle of the bowl. Soft ball sized rock went whizzing past me, then a aluminum water bottle, then a softball sized block of falling ice hit my knee...so I swung far right avoiding being below the dumb hikers.

Coverage in the chutes is really good:

Mt. Harwood:

Hard to show in a photo, but there was 1/4" clear ice on top of the snow in most places. Some windblown powder in others.

Off the summit toward the chutes was very firm. Zen chute might have been ok, but the others easier ones looked very firm. The steeper ones has a couple inches of windblown on ice and I wasn't confirmable managing sluff or windslab on those. So waited at the top of The Dare for 30 min hoping the upper half would soften. The fog started rolling in couple hours earlier than normal, so I gave up on any of the chute and skied far skiers left of the southern bowl. A few firm turns at the start, but otherwise nice skiing, pov video:
    http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00830_480.mp4

Hopefully get another chance at some of the chutes this year, it has been a few years since I skied any of them.

Some real nice skiing at Baldy yesterday, Andy's and Herb's had boot to knee deep pow and Skyline is excellent. South Bowl should open today (below photo). This weekend will be sunny and full-on Spring fun.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANO_20190312_153610.vr.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	670.6 KB 
ID:	273865

was hoping to find some soft-ish wind transported in the sheltered hourglass chute on baldy this morning. there wasn't any. fully wind-fucked. it wasn't that fun. the corn will be awesome for the next couple of days though!

Yeah, south-facing treed aspects collected the most snow this storm.

Oh, I know that sound. I had subtitles on for the first part of Ep 5 of The FIFTY and it said [horrible nails on a chalk board sound], a good description.

Should be good in the mountains this weekend. I'm off to Big Bear with the family, hopefully get 1 backcountry day in and several sessions on the magic carpet with the 3 yo.

Found ~2k vertical ft of cold powder yesterday on Sugarloaf mountain near Big Bear. Steep north facing treed slopes above 8k ft should be good. Measured 135 cm of snow in my pit at 9k!

Glad you guys are having a good year, finally.

A few photos from this last weekend (3/15) at Big Bear. Took the kid on the magic carpet Friday and then I made some lift served tele turns for a few hours, been a few years since I dropped the knee.

Saturday 3/16 skinned up Sugarloaf. Snow got soft and views of the lake started:

Not much view on the top, due to flat summit and trees:

Mellow terrain for first pitch, pov video:
    http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00834_001.mp4

Started to look like it was getting steeper, so stopped and dug a pit...was impressed with how well the new snow was sticking to ice layer. Also the depth of snow.

POV video of the next few turns:
    http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00836.MP4

Easy ski out and made it all the way back to the gate with only a couple no snow sections:

Monday I skinned from cabin up to one of the lifts at Bear Mtn, had hoped to ski the south facing slopes, but too melted out.
    Nice views at the top:

Ski down was not very good, but fun adventure.

Took the kid back to the magic carpet:

Working on the pizza:

Planning to give the chutes on Baldy peak another shot this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Planning to give the chutes on Baldy peak another shot this Sunday.
    I went out to the baldy chutes for my first time 2 weekends ago. I dropped into the furthers lookers left chute which looked like good corn. Turned out it was a few inches of soft snow sitting on top of and poorly bonded to a sheet of ice. I was happy to have my ice axe in hand! Was fun once I made it out of the steep section into the apron. Hoping to get out there some more this spring and also explore some other areas in socal and the sierra.

I'm also trying to get out there this spring - LMK if you're looking for a touring buddy (goes for anyone, really).

406 - thanks for the heads up on the thread.

-J

Baldy kicked ass this weekend, so good. The party & BBQ on the deck of #3 was going off this afternoon.

I scored perfect spring conditions on the Hourglass Chute on Baldy peak Sunday 3/24. Started skiing down around 11:30.
    View toward Thunder mtn:

Hourglass:

Girlyman was looking very filled in, but ~8" of mank on firm...I guess it got cooked early due to the rock wall. I was tempted, but didn't want to manage that large of slough into the dogleg.

Plus the hourglass has longer section of steep.

POV video of the run from top to bottom. I don't have the camera pointing up enough for GS turns in the bowl, but you get the idea, snow was perfect:
    http://umtgriz.com/forum/2019/MAH00848_480.mp4

Just a few turns below the cabin, but as always on the weekend, entertaining people watching on the hike out.

^ Real nice work! Chutes looked fat from the top of chair 3.

Heard through the grapevine that someone had a rough day on Telegraph last Friday. Don't have all the details, but heard they skied/boarded partway down one of the chutes when rockfall knocked them off their feet, than another big rock impacted a boulder above them and exploded into softball sized pieces. One of the chunks struck them in the head (no helmet) and rendered them unconscious, and they slid/tumbled down the rest of the chute. Medivac out.