Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Social Media and the Satisfaction of Glisse

From the following study: http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/item/2838 , the author draws the following abstract:

We use results from an online survey distributed in North America (N = 796), to analyze if backcountry riders’ level of contentment is affected by others’ backcountry activities, i.e., if they are positional, and if positionality for backcountry experiences is associated with increased risk-taking behavior. Our findings suggest that many are positional, and that positional preferences for challenging terrain is correlated with relatively high risk exposure. The positionality effect is present regardless of level of avalanche training, and suggests that current avalanche education does not change ones positionality related to risk taking behavior. Our results provide support for the hypothesis that social comparisons, and perhaps the fear of losing out, affects risk-taking behavior, and that current avalanche education does not change this. It further suggests that avalanche courses should be adapted to deal with the "keeping up with the Joneses" effect by incorporating some comprehension of personality type in the presentation of course material.

One distillation of this article is that if one comes home from a satisfying day of skiing to see pictures of others skiing steeper stuff, it diminishes one's satisfaction. The type of person that feels this way is defined to be a "positional rider".

Personally, I find this incredibly stupid, that is: feeling that satisfaction is demeaned by someone else's posts.

I admit to feeling left out sometimes, but I have never felt my satisfaction with a day I had be negatively affected by social media. Am I that much of a freak?

I'm not saying the study is wrong, just that it exposes a whole lot of dumb.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 12-06-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

FOMO makes you YOLO yo!

( not YOU Buster that was a generalized you I would normally change to one if writing correctly but with the acronymic slang the alteration at the end flows better. Sure you understand.)

social media will be this country's downfall

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    FOMO makes you YOLO yo!

( not YOU Buster that was a generalized you I would normally change to one if writing correctly but with the acronymic slang the alteration at the end flows better. Sure you understand.)
    Can I ascribe to yolo without fomo? You kids and your acronyms. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    social media will be this country's downfall
    e.g. Trump?

Id say the most satisfying days do not require checking in on the internet for affirmation.

Of course, it does help to check on the internet to make sure roads are open before you go and find CRR gated at mp18.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    .... Personally, I find this incredibly stupid, that is: feeling that satisfaction is demeaned by someone else's posts....
    From what I can detect, you're probably also not close to the median age of the survey (35).

Nor do I doubt many people who do feel satisfaction is "demeaned", would agree that they feel that way if you put it to them in that way. Their displayed preferences indicate it though -- which is the whole point of the survey design.

One disturbing finding is that folks with AIARE Rec training aren't statistically different, though folks with the pro training are (and by a pretty big effect size).

e.g. Trump?
    putin!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    no, just old.
    old and oblivious is how I roll, sonny.
    not sure how I feel about this the glisse fomos stupid. not contempt or pity, more like going to the zoo and seeing weird animals.

Observations from others are an important part of the big picture when making decisions about terrain and conditions, so social media is a key tool. I used to really get the #FOMO or at least go back the next day: "sweet, the skintrack is in". I feel like I skied most of the stuff my risk tolerance would allow. Then I started to acknowledge all of the false negatives that I may have gotten away with. Does punching in a skintrack on a 35degree slope in a continental snowpack ever feel "right"? I have other priorities now, I'm more focused on logging vert and not getting hurt, than taming the steep and deep. I notice this with a lot of others when ski touring. They don't really care how tracked out something is and just want to enjoy being in the mountains. It's still better than a day at the ski hill!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on op?
    try not to let my #radnessofglisse
    get cha down
    till i glisse ya in mid Jan

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    whats goin on op?
    get cha down

RAD
    raddam would approve!
    #radnessofglisse gonna sweep the interweb

never heard of fomo. had to look it up.

TOP DEFINITION
    mofro
    a mohawk made from a hairdo that would otherwise be considered an afro.
    -Is it a mohawk?
    -Is it an afro?
    ...Nah, it's a mofro.

this doesn't seem that profound and is spot on imo.

Do you guys realize that this ski forum is social media?? I like that the 10000 posters are always the harshest critics of ig and fb, yet here we are.....

whats goin on op?
    get cha down

love that shot

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    this doesn't seem that profound and is spot on imo.

Do you guys realize that this ski forum is social media?? I like that the 10000 posters are always the harshest critics of ig and fb, yet here we are.....
    So on a day when you've had fun and you see a picture of someone else skiing deeper snow or a steeper slope or a gnarlier line, it diminishes your appreciation of your day?

whats goin on op?
    get cha down

See I honked around on madesnow, did some feeble skins to black skrak hard rabble slack ski thinly veiled rocks for coreshots but this picture makes me happier, not less satisfied.

How the fuck did I land on this planet?

so, the constant denigration of meadow skipping and people who don't charge and "get after it" has impact?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    One disturbing finding is that folks with AIARE Rec training aren't statistically different, though folks with the pro training are (and by a pretty big effect size).
    that young men with avalanche training die isn't news.

No. They just remind me of the chumps and venal suckjackals in the high school pep club who dismissed skiing as pansyassed.

I guess I thought skiers were more independently minded.

My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    that young men with avalanche training die isn't news.
    Didn't say it was. What is somewhat novel (at least I haven't seen in a scientific paper) is that there appears no difference in the risk choices discussed here between those with training and those without.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Didn't say it was. What is somewhat novel (at least I haven't seen in a scientific paper) is that there appears no difference in the risk choices discussed here between those with training and those without.
    This is what blew me away:
    It further suggests that avalanche courses should be adapted to deal with the "keeping up with the Joneses" effect by incorporating some comprehension of personality type in the presentation of course material.

I have had a number of odd or unsettling touring experiences, but one stands out where we were touring in the Wallowas, found a sweet couloir to ski, dug 2 pits through 3 feet of consolidated snow with 10 inches of surtace hoar, so if the bridging failed, it was going to be really, really ugly.

I backed off on it, my partner skied it.

I never toured with him again.

I guess that "keeping up with the Joneses" is something I've resisted forever.

Myself being past my prime and already ticked off most of the steepest lines I can ski I find splitting the difference between the peak and the bowl is usually my preference when touring. And in no way do I feel any pressure whatsoever based on other peoples abilities, risk tolerance, or social media posts. I may feel like a lazy bum for not getting out more when seeing others getting the goods. But I enjoy the stoke either way. There is a video on FB right now with some guy side slipping a knife edge ridge in icy conditions and he makes only a few turns in the whole video ( I don't blame him) and I guess being older I am more worried for the guy than having admiration but the focus age is 35 in the study so perhaps that is the difference. A number of times backed off or turned back when my partners went on with the tour in conditions I felt were unsafe. Had nothing to do with ability but their risk tolerance was higher than mine was. One thing that has always stuck in my head was a picture of a slope that was used for an experiment where they dug many pits in a grid( I don't recall the exact amount more than 50 I think) on a slope with a consistent pitch and a small percentage that easily failed while the others were stable.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

So on a day when you've had fun and you see a picture of someone else skiing deeper snow or a steeper slope or a gnarlier line, it diminishes your appreciation of your day?
    sure, that definitely stings. Especially if it was a line that I haven't skied yet. I'm not sure I would say it diminishes my appreciation of my day, but I'd be lying if I don't get FOMO. More so it happens when I'm stuck working and I see other's out there getting snow in their faces.

If you claim that you are above the fear of missing out, then you are either a liar or have reach some zen-like buddha status.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    sure, that definitely stings. Especially if it was a line that I haven't skied yet. I'm not sure I would say it diminishes my appreciation of my day, but I'd be lying if I don't get FOMO. More so it happens when I'm stuck working and I see other's out there getting snow in their faces.

If you claim that you are above the fear of missing out, then you are either a liar or have reach some zen-like buddha status.
    The situation addressed is not a missed day.

The situation addressed is when one has a ski day and one's appreciation of that day is diminished if one sees social media displaying deeper snow or a steeper slope.

Yes, I have pangs when I see others had a good day and I didn't go, but that is not what the question is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ale_capone View Post
    never heard of fomo. had to look it up.

TOP DEFINITION
    mofro
    a mohawk made from a hairdo that would otherwise be considered an afro.
    -Is it a mohawk?
    -Is it an afro?
    ...Nah, it's a mofro.
    To hell with fomo.

Now, some Mofro, I can dig that