Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

The situation addressed is when one has a ski day and one's appreciation of that day is diminished if one sees social media displaying deeper snow or a steeper slope.
    People just make the snow look deeper by doing lame hip-dive turns, don't worry. it wasn't actually deeper.

I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    To hell with fomo.

To hell with proverty

To hell with good intentions.

Move upside and let the man go through...

The situation addressed is not a missed day.

The situation addressed is when one has a ski day and one's appreciation of that day is diminished if one sees social media displaying deeper snow or a steeper slope.

Yes, I have pangs when I see others had a good day and I didn't go, but that is not what the question is.
    The quote of mine you quoted both addresses this situation and when you miss out on a day.

I don't think this exposes a whole lot of dumb. It's true, if I go ski bland mountain and then I get home and see my friend skied rad mountain. It deminshes my personal satisfaction I got while skiing bland mountain because in hind sight, I could have skied rad mountain. That seems like human nature to me.

Do you think you don't ski with your buddy from your wallowas trip because you don't respect his decision making? Or are you just bitter that he got away with skiing rad couloir while you tucked your tail between your legs and skied something more within your risk tolerance? More likely, it's a combination of both and the fact that you brought this up as an example exposes that you still have that FOMO feeling from that day.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    People just make the snow look deeper by doing lame hip-dive turns, don't worry. it wasn't actually deeper.

I hope.
    The snows always deeper when you're not there.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    The quote of mine you quoted both addresses this situation and when you miss out on a day.

I don't think this exposes a whole lot of dumb. It's true, if I go ski bland mountain and then I get home and see my friend skied rad mountain. It deminshes my personal satisfaction I got while skiing bland mountain because in hind sight, I could have skied rad mountain. That seems like human nature to me.
    I think that's stupid.

Do you think you don't ski with your buddy from your wallowas trip because you don't respect his decision making? Or are you just bitter that he got away with skiing rad couloir while you tucked your tail between your legs and skied something more within your risk tolerance? More likely, it's a combination of both and the fact that you brought this up as an example exposes that you still have that FOMO feeling from that day.
    I think he makes bad decisions that exposes not only him but me. So, no, not a combo.

I accept that your position on fomo, I just think it's stupid.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

wow this is amazing. i'm just grateful to ride. not finding a true love until 40 maybe makes it different. i see other people's pics and it does nothing but make me happy for them. i am grateful for the space in my brain that lets me relate. when i missed a season it hurt to see all the good stuff but only because i couldn't do it all. i've never felt my day diminished by somebody else's day.

So on a day when you've had fun and you see a picture of someone else skiing deeper snow or a steeper slope or a gnarlier line, it diminishes your appreciation of your day?
    No. It just makes me want to kill them. Then I'll know I had the better day.

I think he makes bad decisions that exposes not only him but me. So, no, not a combo.
    Is your buddy still alive? Did the couloir slide that day? Maybe it's not his decision making but his risk tolerance that bothers you. If the couloir didn't slide and he hasn't succumbed to an avalanche, maybe it's your decision making errs to much on the side of safety.

I accept that your position on fomo, I just think it's stupid.
    I accept your "holier than thou" attitude but I just think you're lying to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Is your buddy still alive? Did the couloir slide that day? Maybe it's not his decision making but his risk tolerance that bothers you. If the couloir didn't slide and he hasn't succumbed to an avalanche, maybe it's your decision making errs to much on the side of safety.
    Don't know. I'm OK with erring to much to safety.

I think your argument here is really muddy here because risk tolerance is uh-duh part of decision making. Your arg is more emo.

That situation is kind of beside the point of social media input like dibs picture above, but had more to do with the point of the study about decision making.

But really, for example, when I look at dibs pic and think about my last couple of days of skiing on man made snow and skinning over rocks and sticks for coreshots, I really don't feel like my experience is diminished by dibs picture in any way. I got out, I made the best of what was available, I hooked up with random people and climbed and shot the shit and skied some thin snow, coreshot the skis but I had fun. It's my moment and the fact that it's mine overrules everything else.

I accept your "holier than thou" attitude but I just think you're lying to yourself
    Now you're just being full of shit and not really accepting me. At least be honest that you don't accept it.

I don't understand how people can want their experience and the way they experience things to be the way other people experience things. That's like setting yourself up for a life of dissatisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    if i was bummed about dudes skiing more rad line than me, well then i’d be really bummed, really really bummed. as a fairly mediocre skier it’s just something
    i must live with about 100 days a year.
    See! Bobby gets it. And that's just a small part of why Bobby r00lz.

We were touring in the Wallowas, found a sweet couloir to ski, dug 2 pits through 3 feet of consolidated snow with 10 inches of surtace hoar, so if the bridging failed, it was going to be really, really ugly.

I backed off on it, my partner skied it.

I never toured with him again.
    I wouldn't either.
    He put his interests and risk threshold above that of the party (even if that meant just you). It hardly matters that it didn't go, the important point here isn't about risk threshold, it's about decision making processes and priorities.

X2 Either you are touring together, or you are not. Where its gets tough is when others join the party on the skin track, and group dynamics really take a shit. But that’s probably a whole other set of issues.

Social Media and the Satisfaction of Glisse

I kinda wish we could go back to the days of having just cell phones with no cameras. Now we get inundated with pics of everything, most of which wouldn’t get posted if you had to download it to a computer and then upload to social media.
    And everyone on social media has to overhype everything. “Epic” and “All time” are used weekly to describe normal snow storms. People are just so eager to show off for thousands of people they don’t know online. Sometimes I see these social media feeds where the person is documenting an experience (ie a skin up and ski down) and they post like 15 video clips to Stories. Are they really living the experience if they’re just videoing everything they do on the phone and then in turn posting? Instead of enjoying the beauty of a skin, they’re buried in their phone in the wilderness. I’d get so annoyed as a partner.

...I have never felt my satisfaction with a day I had be negatively affected by social media. Am I that much of a freak?...
    No, that does not make you a freak. That makes you in the group that comprises a 68% majority of the survey participants. Only 32% of the survey participants are in the group you called "stupid".

From the study:
    "Thirty-two percent of the participants state that they would feel more content with their riding weekend if other riders rode less challenging terrain than they did, and less content if others rode more challenging terrain than they did."

Maybe it's not really all that surprising that 1/3 of humans could have flaws that can't be "trained out of them" by only a couple hours of courses. But yeah, might as well keep researching stuff and at least try to design courses to help save people from themselves. Why not?

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

aint nonya gonna make me feel lesser just cause there'll always be someone better than you
    embrace the gape
    and believe

I don't use a computer outside of work. I have laptops but no desire to use them. The iPad for Netflix on the elliptical but that's about it. Everything I do outside of work online is through my phone.

I thought I left my phone at work on my Friday drive home from the office. I had an unexpected sense of relief. Then I found I had my phone and was disappointed yet relieved at the same time.

This fucking shit has changed our brain's wiring and it's a bit scary.

The only social media I use is TGR. Can't imagine using all the others.

I think I'll leave my phone at work next weekend and see what happens.

tgr is all i use to satisfy my online social needs. thanks, guys!

I dont ski as much as I used to, I definitely dont tour as much as I used too
    Seeing people here having fun makes me happy.
    My instagram being full of the last 2 places I lived having off the chain early seasons makes me bummed I wasnt there but stoked for all involved.
    I made choices and am happy with them. Everyone else should be too.

when I see gopro edits I get hyped as fuck like no shit I will slam some whiskey and wax my skis 8 times while watching edits the night before a big storm then the next morning I get to the ski area 3 hrs early so I can skin up and hit everything before patrol can ruin it. I always make sure to post my edits on NS for the clout because you aint shit without online clout these days.

Quote Originally Posted by core2 View Post
    when I see gopro edits I get hyped as fuck like no shit I will slam some whiskey and wax my skis 8 times while watching edits the night before a big storm then the next morning I get to the ski area 3 hrs early so I can skin up and hit everything before patrol can ruin it. I always make sure to post my edits on NS for the clout because you aint shit without online clout these days.
    aaand
    [/scene]