Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    I enjoyed this. Makes me want to try a wndr, always thought they were too heavy for touring...
    Heh - they ARE too heavy. But what performs better in mid-winter conditions in California that weighs less? I would certainly consider something 1700-1800 grams / ski. What am I missing in that category? Seems like there is a hole between the 1500-1600 gram touring skis (Zero G 105, Backland 107, etc.) and 1900-2000 gram skis (Ravens, Intentions, WCT 108) for the 188ish sizes (not the 176 little guy manufacturers like to cite when stating weights for a ski). Props to Moment and 4FRNT for identifying weight per ski for each size.
    sproing!

Either vwerks katanas or mantras

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Either vwerks katanas or mantras

Blister says the 184 Katana VWerks weighed 1959 and 1975 grams per ski. Same weight class as the WNDR.

Mantra is lighter, but that's a spring shape in my book. Volkl claims 1758 g/ski for the 186.

AFAIK the BMT 109 is the only mid-winter soft snow shape (plus, it's reverse) that's in that 1700-1800 ballpark for the 186. Heritage BC 110 may be similar when it comes out. Other than that...I got nuthin.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

AFAIK the BMT 109 is the only mid-winter soft snow shape (plus, it's reverse) that's in that 1700-1800 ballpark for the 186. Heritage BC 110 may be similar when it comes out. Other than that...I got nuthin.
    They have since been changed but the orange Dynafit Beast 108s are around 1800g in 188 and full rocker, the Volkls are better skis but you regularly see the Dynafits pop up for sale at very low prices.

Blister says the 184 Katana VWerks weighed 1959 and 1975 grams per ski. Same weight class as the WNDR.

Mantra is lighter, but that's a spring shape in my book. Volkl claims 1758 g/ski for the 186.

The mantra is pretty good in powder

ON3P BG110tours are def worth a try. I seriously regret selling my 184 BG108tours - they were freaking sensational in any kind of soft snow. I enjoy woodsman108tours as well, if nowhere near like I did the BG108tours.

Skis like Woodsman110tours or Moment's tour offerings - especially 104 commander tis - could be worthy of consideration too.

BMTs and the other V Werks skis are fantatic too, though I prefer BMT109s to Katana VWs. Curious to learn more about the 23/24 Katana VW which supposedly has been slightly tweaked. From the pics I've seen they only seem to have changed the skin attachement thingy, but then again - I would love if they introduced slightly more taper to them and moved the mount point forward a bit (and possibly made them a tad bit less torsionally rigid), then they could turn a seriously good ski into something amazing.

Heh - they ARE too heavy. But what performs better in mid-winter conditions in California that weighs less? I would certainly consider something 1700-1800 grams / ski. What am I missing in that category? Seems like there is a hole between the 1500-1600 gram touring skis (Zero G 105, Backland 107, etc.) and 1900-2000 gram skis (Ravens, Intentions, WCT 108) for the 188ish sizes (not the 176 little guy manufacturers like to cite when stating weights for a ski). Props to Moment and 4FRNT for identifying weight per ski for each size.
    I really, really like the Line Sick Day 104 in this category. They stopped making them but you can still find them. I stocked up. I think it occupies that goldilocks zone of being heavy enough to ski well but light enough for touring. Also hoping maybe the new Fischer Transalp 105 skis well but its lighter.

Good recs -- both ON3P BGT 110 and Line Sick Day 104 both fit the weight class and have nice shapes. Completely agree on the goldilocks weight zone.

Alas, they are not reverse camber. Great options though!
    sproing!

I have been experimenting with the enforcer 104 unlimiteds in this gap. About 1730g in a 186. not sure yet, feels sensitive to mount point, but i think its an austrian wct108.

Reverse Camber Touring Skis: What Should Be on my Radar

I’m pretty sure my lotus 138’s r1 192cm are a hair under 2000g per ski.

Doesn’t dps make a mid-fat light touring-specific ski that would shine for Tahoe winter bc touring when an l138-sized ski is not optimal due to variable 2d snow?

They're expensive and you have to ship them in from Norway but SGN's touring skis fit the requirements (although not reverse):

https://sgn-skis.myshopify.com/nb/products/soleitind

SGN fans, care to chime in (if there are any here)?

Good recs -- both ON3P BGT 110 and Line Sick Day 104 both fit the weight class and have nice shapes. Completely agree on the goldilocks weight zone.

HL BC110 is a contender.

These work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    They're expensive and you have to ship them in from Norway but SGN's touring skis fit the requirements (although not reverse):

This ski looks super interesting. I would love to hear if anyone in the collective has skied it.

wopsy - sorry, totally forgot about the name of the thread. My bad

They are really popular in my neck of the woods. People seem to really like them. I've not skied them a lot, only did a few laps on a 185 pair. Key takeaway - ATK Rent Me and I are not fast friends, they were so vague that it was hard to really get a feel for the skis, other than that they are fairly supportive and can be skied hard in soft snow. 185 Soleitind is noticably more ski than 182 Hurrungane. I also found the latter to be a bit too light, or at least, have a bit too soft shovels for my liking. Neither ski made me want to replace them with my BMTs.

They are about to get a new graphic, hence the 35% off pricing. Also keep in mind that 25% sales tax is deducted if bought from abroad, so the price isn't too bad.

Check out the SGN team riders' Insta if you need some inspiration, especially Ivar Løvik, he skis them a ton.

KK - so the 25% tax is no longer auto-deducted from the SGN website/shopping cart. I tried to explain it to Are, the sales rep, but that didn't work. Sort of annoying as a non-Norwegian buyer as I was looking at buying the on-sale Toggas (which funny enough are reverse camber touring skis for this thread, albeit at 120 under).

KK - so the 25% tax is no longer auto-deducted from the SGN website/shopping cart. I tried to explain it to Are, the sales rep, but that didn't work. Sort of annoying as a non-Norwegian buyer as I was looking at buying the on-sale Toggas (which funny enough are reverse camber touring skis for this thread, albeit at 120 under).
    Hm, strange - did you try to log in and complete the process all the way through selecting the shipping address and payment option, but not yet pressed "buy"? If it still doesn't work / VAT is not deducted then just let me know and I'll give em a call. The guys&girls behind SGN are fine folks, so I am sure things can be resolved Or talk to SupreChicken and get his take on the process based on his purchase of these

Thanks, appreciate it. I've purchased from SGN before and at that time, the VAT was auto-deducted, which is why I was so confused this time around (but I confirm they are great people). Anyway, not looking to buy anymore, but thanks for offering to help.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Hm, strange - did you try to log in and complete the process all the way through selecting the shipping address and payment option, but not yet pressed "buy"? If it still doesn't work / VAT is not deducted then just let me know and I'll give em a call. The guys&girls behind SGN are fine folks, so I am sure things can be resolved Or talk to SupreChicken and get his take on the process based on his purchase of these

Thanks, appreciate it. I've purchased from SGN before and at that time, the VAT was auto-deducted, which is why I was so confused this time around (but I confirm they are great people). Anyway, not looking to buy anymore, but thanks for offering to help.
    no prob. I'll ask them the next time our paths cross - one would think that it would be in their interest to figure it out too.

Volkl Blaze 106?

A hair under 1800gr, reverse camber.

Blaze has a couple mm camber underfoot but sounds like it skis close to reverse loose. Plus the price is right, picked up a pair on spring sale for wifes new touring rig after considering a bunch of other full reverse options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the La Machine series now come in 190+cm lengths. Also an addition of a La Machine 4 Massive at 117 waist. According to the Faction website.
    - LM 3 mega (109 mm): 1690g in 190cm
    - LM 4 massive (117 mm): 1790g in 191cm
    - LM 5 max (126 mm): 1990g in 192cm
    Last edited by EuroMan; 11-04-2023 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Curious to learn more about the 23/24 Katana VW which supposedly has been slightly tweaked.
    Has it been, anyone know ?

Nice pie anno.
    watch out for snakes