Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    80k is the max for most double axle tractor trailers so 75k is bigger than a box truck.
    guess i stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
    guess i stand corrected
    Or we’re talking about two different vehicles... I’m not paying attention too closely

Tesla has two "trucks" currently in development. The first is their semi. It was unveiled a while ago and has been seen being tested around California recently:

https://electrek.co/2019/08/15/tesla...n-test-driver/

The second is a pick up truck that will compete with the Rivian, F-150, etc.. This truck has not been revealed but is said it will look very futuristic. Rumors say it might be revealed within a year or even less.

https://insideevs.com/news/364925/te...ce-specs-more/

There's a Tesla e in my office lot most days. Doesn't seem to matter what time of day, whenever I walk by I can hear the fan running even though it's parked with nobody inside. Do they explode in to flames if the coolant system isn't running 24/7?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Rivian trucks were used as support vehicles in Long Way Up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ong-way-up-tv/

Then there's this, just announced...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford Retro E-Truck.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	391428

https://mashable.com/article/ford-el...pickup-vintage

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    There's a Tesla e in my office lot most days. Doesn't seem to matter what time of day, whenever I walk by I can hear the fan running even though it's parked with nobody inside. Do they explode in to flames if the coolant system isn't running 24/7?
    Is it charging?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Yeah pretty much.

Really though, car keeps the battery within temp range so you're ready to go whenever. Does eat some range just sitting there.

Or, maybe he's like me running doggy mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Is it charging?
    I noticed this the other day. I put my ear down to it and was like, this thing is running, but there's no one in it. I couldn't figure out why it would be wasting energy in a ski parking lot at 10k. Seemed like a waste. I just thought it was still running. I thought batteries liked cold.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I noticed this the other day. I put my ear down to it and was like, this thing is running, but there's no one in it. I couldn't figure out why it would be wasting energy in a ski parking lot at 10k. Seemed like a waste. I just thought it was still running. I thought batteries liked cold.
    Cold kills the batteries. Same reason your phone dies super fast in cold weather. Teslas get very reduced range in the winter - often as much as 40% if it's below freezing.

Got a homie that works for the propulsion group. I can pass along any questions and post up the answers if there is interest.

I missed this thread in its earlier days, but have really interested in electric truck market for a while. Obviously Rivians are now rolling out to customers, and the F150 Lightning has a boatload of reservations/interest. I've been hesitant to be a beta-tester before, but I've felt more and more this year that it's time and I'm willing to support the market for it. I love the idea of the Rivian, but the price point and the 4.5' bed have always been drawbacks. I reserved up a Lightning back in May on their launch, and had a chance to ride in one in September when they did their tour through Seattle.

We weren't allowed to test-drive but got a tour and a really short ridealong on the demo they set up in the parking lot, and I was impressed. Build looked good, handling was impressive with minimal body roll at speed, and it's fast as shit to accelerate. Power features and frunk are awesome, and I like the compatibility with pre-existing universe of F150 accessories. There are definitely corner cases that might require a little compromise (occasional roadtrips outside current infrastructure), but I'm basically sold for 99% of what we use a vehicle for with ski/camp/adventure for a family of 4.

Order buckets won't open until December it sounds like, and who knows whether my reservation will actually be early enough to get one for 2022, or if I'm waiting until 2023. But, fingers are crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Rivian trucks were used as support vehicles in Long Way Up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ong-way-up-tv/

Then there's this, just announced...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford Retro E-Truck.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	391428

https://mashable.com/article/ford-el...pickup-vintage
    Long Way Up was great!! Highly recommended

Also cool seeing them test the limits of all electric in the middle of nowhere.

Gave me a new perspective on Ewen McGregor, he seems to be a great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    EVs will cycle the battery conditioning system as needed to keep the battery in optimal temperature range. Too hot or too cold is bad. If it's sitting in the sun on a hot day, or if it's cold, it'll cycle, plugged in or not.
    My Bolt has never used more than single digit percentages of the battery for conditioning purposes. Overall efficiency is still WAY better than that of ICE vehicles.

Also FWIW, while I certainly see a drop off in range in the winter, it's nowhere near 40%. More like 25% less range in freezing temps with snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
    I missed this thread in its earlier days, but have really interested in electric truck market for a while. Obviously Rivians are now rolling out to customers, and the F150 Lightning has a boatload of reservations/interest. I've been hesitant to be a beta-tester before, but I've felt more and more this year that it's time and I'm willing to support the market for it. I love the idea of the Rivian, but the price point and the 4.5' bed have always been drawbacks. I reserved up a Lightning back in May on their launch, and had a chance to ride in one in September when they did their tour through Seattle.

We weren't allowed to test-drive but got a tour and a really short ridealong on the demo they set up in the parking lot, and I was impressed. Build looked good, handling was impressive with minimal body roll at speed, and it's fast as shit to accelerate. Power features and frunk are awesome, and I like the compatibility with pre-existing universe of F150 accessories. There are definitely corner cases that might require a little compromise (occasional roadtrips outside current infrastructure), but I'm basically sold for 99% of what we use a vehicle for with ski/camp/adventure for a family of 4.

Order buckets won't open until December it sounds like, and who knows whether my reservation will actually be early enough to get one for 2022, or if I'm waiting until 2023. But, fingers are crossed!
    I’d already have an order in one too if I could spend that much on a car. It seems like a perfect ski vehicle. We currently own a gas truck (f150) and electric vehicle (i3). The only thing stopping me from going all electric for both vehicles is my budget… owning and using an electric car is so far superior to gas it’s unbelievable. I would never willingly go back.

Enjoy it, and keep the forums updated.

Rivian Electric AWD Truck and SUV

https://youtu.be/Yeth5v_5dPM

Eta: it looks like zero gotos
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-14-2021 at 10:11 AM.

That’s pretty badass

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

yeah gotos would have been scraped off. dope

I'm crossing my fingers that Rivian can release a second-gen SUV model at a slightly lower retail and/or Ford translates what they learn from the F-150 Lightning into the new Bronco. All I want is a simple, boxy, electric SUV that actually takes the "utility" part of sport utility vehicle seriously (instead of trying to make them all look like fast, sporty cars with a stunning lack of usable interior space.)

I think the Rivian is going to be an amazing vehicle based on all of the reviews that are coming out... It's out of our price range so we reserved an F150 Lightning.
    I don't think my reservation number is close to a 2022 delivery so hoping for a 2023... assuming it's just off of the order #.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Towing 9K lbs with the Rivian. Cut range down to ~176 driving over mountain passes and such. Not great, but not terrible, depending on your real life applications. It would probably make it from Denver to Moab with one 1hr charging stop towing a large travel trailer. Of course you'd probably need to take off the trailer to charge.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...MLQDhICrlEdBNY

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Towing 9K lbs with the Rivian. Cut range down to ~176 driving over mountain passes and such. Not great, but not terrible, depending on your real life applications. It would probably make it from Denver to Moab with one 1hr charging stop towing a large travel trailer. Of course you'd probably need to take off the trailer to charge.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...MLQDhICrlEdBNY
    FWIW, my real-world range with about 7.5k of cargo trailer behind my F-150 Ecoboost was in the neighborhood of 200 miles, so that strikes me as pretty impressive for an electric truck. Charger density would certainly be a bigger issue, though, compared to fuel availability.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    80k is the max for most double axle tractor trailers so 75k is bigger than a box truck.
    80k on interstates, 85k on most state highways in CO.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.