Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rivian Electric AWD Truck and SUV

Saw an intro video for the truck the other day. Sounds pretty badass. Basically an electric Tacoma (but faster) it looks like. Possibility for great AWD with completley independant power to each wheel. As with all electric vehicles right now, range is the big factor. This is even more so for a vehicle you're planning to take to remote places without charging stations. The idea is pretty sweet though.

I'd love an electric truck. They say it has 5000kg tow capacity, but I bet that pulling anything would kill the range. Very cool concept, though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

https://youtu.be/Mbc_yzB8oAY

Meh. Cool idea probably won’t make it to production.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

$69K, 2021
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    I'd love an electric truck. They say it has 5000kg tow capacity
    So what’s it tow in Merica?

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    So what’s it tow in Merica?
    11,000 lbs. Doubtful a truck that small/light would be enjoyable towing something that heavy.

Towing must be great for the range too.
    It should at least come with a small motor/generator.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    https://youtu.be/Mbc_yzB8oAY

Meh. Cool idea probably won’t make it to production.

I haven't looked at their financials too close but they own a plant, have about 500 employees and almost a half a billion in investment money. Why don't you think it will make it in production?

I've been saying for a while, that once they start putting the batteries in bigger vehicles, like a truck, the range and capacity will actually be functional. 400 miles on a charge is pretty damn good. My truck gets almost 500 on a tank and that gets me almost anywhere I want to get in a days drive.

-Better water fording since there is no air intake
    -Higher clearance due to a simpler undercarraige
    -More Torque
    -4 engines....in case one fails in the middle of nowhere
    -An engine for each wheel means endless AWD control

sounds lame, i'll keep horse and buggy, thanks tho

On board air compressor

400 mile range (estimated)

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    -Better water fording since there is no air intake
    -Higher clearance due to a simpler undercarraige
    -More Torque
    -4 engines....in case one fails in the middle of nowhere
    -An engine for each wheel means endless AWD control

sounds lame, i'll keep horse and buggy, thanks tho

Shaft gets it. I'd easily pay $65K for a front end beer storage device. I mean, they might as well make it into a full time cooler up front right?

Oh, and the obligatory "Lower center of gravity" comment inserted here:

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I haven't looked at their financials too close but they own a plant, have about 500 employees and almost a half a billion in investment money. Why don't you think it will make it in production?
    Based off the fact that several other electric auto companies have tried this and failed.
    While Rivian has arguably made it further than their predecessors there is a lot of “roadway” between having 500 employees and a “plant” (which no one knows the actual details on) to a full fledged production line churning out hundreds of cars annually.

Also their choice to not piggy back on Tesla’s charging system is silly. Don’t re-create the wheel. Building a new company on a NEW auto platform is hard enough without giving your potential clientele more hoops to jump through.

My 2 cents but I am armchair QBing this shit — and I have no skin in the game. Lastly. Sure maybe the future is electric, but if I am going off the grid. I will be just that... off the grid and no able to access power. So until they make these trucks charge on solar panels hard pass.

I am really compelled at possibly buying one of these if the company takes off and seems stable enough to be around for parts in a few years. I love the gear tunnel box. I am not sure if it would fit 188 skis. I also hope that the IRS will let you write it off as a business vehicle with the short bed. Built in locking cables that are linked to the alarm would be great for mountain bikes. The truck should last 20 years which makes it a relative value though I think the prices on EV Trucks will fall by a third in a few years.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Based off the fact that several other electric auto companies have tried this and failed.
    While Rivian has arguably made it further than their predecessors there is a lot of “roadway” between having 500 employees and a “plant” (which no one knows the actual details on) to a full fledged production line churning out hundreds of cars annually.

Also their choice to not piggy back on Tesla’s charging system is silly. Don’t re-create the wheel. Building a new company on a NEW auto platform is hard enough without giving your potential clientele more hoops to jump through.

My 2 cents but I am armchair QBing this shit — and I have no skin in the game. Lastly. Sure maybe the future is electric, but if I am going off the grid. I will be just that... off the grid and no able to access power. So until they make these trucks charge on solar panels hard pass.

Tesla would ask for a high premium to lend their network to another company.

Independent High speed charging networks are popping up everywhere. No need to use Teslas network when they can sign a deal for much cheaper with independents. They bought a former Mitsubishi plant that has full robotics and welding facilities . This company is 9 years old and carefully planned delaying the prototype announcement until they have their ducks in a row. I am sure they learned from Teslas unrealistic timelines for their cars release date. Also I would think electricity is far more ubiquitous than gasoline and that you could actually be more off the grid with an EV than a gas powered car. I have a client that has 2 Teslas and powers them and his house and he lives in a small house in Seattle which isn't the solar capital of the world. I am thinking probably closer to 2022 realistically but that is fine. By that time Tesla will have announced their pickup which will add another choice. There is a company called Bollinger motors that is making a truck & SUV modeled after a Land Rover Defender. I think they are ugly but I bet some people will go crazy for them.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I can’t wait to ditch my diesel for an electric truck. Also don’t forget the gains from regenretive braking, in a diesel/gas truck that’s just lost as heat from your brakes.
    Last edited by GPP33; 12-05-2018 at 07:50 AM.

400 mile range and a solar panel mounted over the bed could give a lot of options for staying off road for extended amounts of time. Agree it would be nice to have access to the supercharged network, but not the end of the world I guess. Don't know how long it'd take a solar panel to charge one up. Would be interesting to see.

If anything like this ever makes it to production I'll be one of the first to jump in. Each new concept that I see looks better and better, and these are one of the first to get me really interested because I'm a truck guy.

Tesla comes out with something like this and I'll be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    11,000 lbs. Doubtful a truck that small/light would be enjoyable towing something that heavy.
    ...and if the stated payload (800kg / 1763 lbs) is like that stated for other trucks, as soon as you add any of the fancy options or put your American-sized brother-in-law in the passenger seat, you'll run out of payload for tongue weight before you hit GCWR.

But if the range was just a little longer and it had at least a real short bed rather than a minibed, this could be an awesome ski vehicle. Remains to see how performance holds up in winter conditions, though (I have no idea how slippery conditions would affect range with that kind of setup).

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    ...and if the stated payload (800kg / 1763 lbs) is like that stated for other trucks, as soon as you add any of the fancy options or put your American-sized brother-in-law in the passenger seat, you'll run out of payload for tongue weight before you hit GCWR.

But if the range was just a little longer and it had at least a real short bed rather than a minibed, this could be an awesome ski vehicle. Remains to see how performance holds up in winter conditions, though (I have no idea how slippery conditions would affect range with that kind of setup).
    You regularly travel 400+ miles for skiing without a chance to recharge? Around here, some ski areas have charging stations too. It would be cool if extra batteries could be added in the bed or front trunk to extend range or even be switched out for new ones when the others are dead but I have no idea of the logistics involved there.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    You regularly travel 400+ miles for skiing without a chance to recharge? Around here, some ski areas have charging stations too. It would be cool if extra batteries could be added in the bed or front trunk to extend range or even be switched out for new ones when the others are dead but I have no idea of the logistics involved there.
    Not anymore, but I used to live in Montana.

I was primarily thinking about driving to Cooke City, Montana for sled skiing. 200-mile round trip from where I lived, over a mountain pass, with damn no infrastructure in between (and no services at the Pilot Peak parking lot). With my XTerra pulling a two-sled trailer, I had to be really careful with the right foot or I'd be running back into town on fumes (best case); while I'd expect a "400-mile" theoretical range to be enough with an open trailer (the impact on mileage wasn't huge), I'd get really nervous being down to 50-75 miles left given that field-refueling an electric rig isn't quite as simple as dumping the extra sled fuel into the tank.

Driving across the state to Whitefish or up into Canada would be a similar potential PITA until the charging infrastructure catches up with the gas-station infrastructure, and even then, the range sucks for road tripping compared to my F-150 (500+ miles in Montana, more where the speed limits and altitudes are lower).

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Not anymore, but I used to live in Montana.

I was primarily thinking about driving to Cooke City, Montana for sled skiing. 200-mile round trip from where I lived, over a mountain pass, with damn no infrastructure in between (and no services at the Pilot Peak parking lot). With my XTerra pulling a two-sled trailer, I had to be really careful with the right foot or I'd be running back into town on fumes (best case); while I'd expect a "400-mile" theoretical range to be enough with an open trailer (the impact on mileage wasn't huge), I'd get really nervous being down to 50-75 miles left given that field-refueling an electric rig isn't quite as simple as dumping the extra sled fuel into the tank.

Driving across the state to Whitefish or up into Canada would be a similar potential PITA until the charging infrastructure catches up with the gas-station infrastructure, and even then, the range sucks for road tripping compared to my F-150 (500+ miles in Montana, more where the speed limits and altitudes are lower).

Gotcha, yeah my F150 just made it all the way from Prescott AZ to my house in CO on a single tank. That's nice.

Another thing that I haven't heard much about is how the cold weather affects these batteries. Is parking it in the ski area lot on a 0ºF day for 6 hrs gonna kill it? Also, cranking that heater on the way home has to burn up some battery too.

Gotcha, yeah my F150 just made it all the way from Prescott AZ to my house in CO on a single tank. That's nice.

Another thing that I haven't heard much about is how the cold weather affects these batteries. Is parking it in the ski area lot on a 0ºF day for 6 hrs gonna kill it? Also, cranking that heater on the way home has to burn up some battery too.
    The first full tank isn't too bad. The second one sucks, though. I was visiting my brother in Hood River, dropped my girlfriend off at PDX in the morning, and then drove back to Red Lodge in the same day. The second tank wasn't done when I got home, but I sure as hell was.

Yeah, sitting in the ski area lot at 10' for six or more hours is an open question, too. Even if the ski areas have chargers, it seems like it would be an asshat move to leave your rig plugged in beyond what it needed, so there's the added factor of shuffling the vehicle at some point.

Don't get me wrong—I love what the electric vehicle tech offers, and an electric scooter with heated grips and studded tires would probably be ideal for my weekday commute right now—but around the edges, especially in remote places, there are some serious gaps to fill in.

What other companies did doesn't mean much, although they do have a lot of challenges ahead of them. And there will be a lot of charging station choices when they come out, and many more to come after that. And any electric car or truck can charge off solar panels, why do you think you can't?

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I can’t wait to ditch my diesel for an electric truck. Also don’t forget the gains from regenretive braking, in a diesel/gas truck that’s just lost as heat from your brakes.
    Only real maintenance in an electric car is replacing brakes and tires, and brakes don't get used much thanks to regenerative braking. I think my pads will last years.

When it's 20-30 overnight and it's parked in my cold garage for 13-14 hours, I lose maybe 10-20 miles in my electric car. I don't think 0 degrees at 6 hours is going to come close to killing it, but I'll soon find out.

Anyways, I have a SUV fro road trips. I've never hooked my car up anywhere but my garage since I got it in August. But traveling to MT this winter will be tricky, I now have Nokians on it and hope to add a roof rack in January. Range will be limited.

Also they don't tell you anywhere this important fact, you NEVER fully charge your vehicle, and you should try to never go below 20 percent to keep the batteries in good shape. So the 400 miles advertised is a dream. Fully charged will be 350-360~ not 400.