Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Ford didn't need the bailout like GM and Chrysler becuz they had already restructured, already had their shit togetehr
    They got lucky and took out a hudge loan right before the collapse. Worked out well for them, but if it wasn't luck, it was insider trading kinda shit. Southwest airlines did the same with a fuel purchase.

I always thought this would be the best solution, but this video is from 2012, and I haven't heard anything since.

Could you actually carry a gassed up generator to plug in if you needed, or would the weight of the generator + gas lower your range more than it would recharge it because physics?
    Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

That's like saying it's not worth carrying extra full because of the weight. Come on man.

Of course the generator might be a weight issue but it probably isn't since there are already vehicles with range extenders, the little electric BMW has one

The first public 800w charger went live this week, thanks to VW and dieselgate. I read somewhere that Rivian claims you could convert the truck from level 2 to level 3 (800 watts) later on. So that's an attractive feature, you are not stuck with old tech as soon as you buy it.

There isn't a car that can use 800 watt system out yet, which is kinda funny.

Why are so many electric vehicles ugly as fuck? I get that they want to be noticed and not be another 5000SQ, but really. Tesla Model 3 is just a rehash of the Studebaker Avanti and the Rivian drivel, wtf?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Much less range than the Rivian claims and they don't have a build price or location to manufacture.
    They do now...

https://www.bollingermotors.com/#video-gallery-1
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Saudi $$$$ laundry
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

I don't see a price on the Bollinger. Any guesses, more/less than the Rivian?

It would make a great everyday vehicle around here. Most everything important(essentials/food/gas/skiing) is within 40 miles r/t. Plus the ability to haul lumber and use it for a work truck, getting firewood, etc. I would only add a burly front grill/bumper for all the deer around here without hindering the ability to haul 16' material. Still working on what vanity plates to get.

Depending on price point that Rivian is nuts. 400+ range, 0-60 in 3 fucking seconds with a shit ton of cargo space. Yes please. I have always been an analog non tech loving vehicle lover but this one ticks most of the boxes other than looking like its from the future.

My timeframe to buy will likely be ~4 years, hopefully this comes together by then (and will go at least 400 miles on a charge).
    I would prefer to have the security of a massive nationwide dealership network for repairs (and possibly high watt charging stations, even Moab has a Ford dealership)

https://electrek.co/guides/ford-f-150-electric/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Is ford going to design a f-150 around electric powertrain or just jam electric into a f-150 like they did with the focus?

The Rivian seem like a good idea, but I can't imagine ever spending that much on a vehicle.

Yeah, I’m in for $50k-60k, but not 100

Whoa. That's CGI though.

If that’s the case, then Rivian is the ultimate vapor ware.

That looks like Ken Block behind the wheel.

Obvious CGI, but seems like a plausible feature with the independent motors.

A pivot steer would be easy with torque vectoring. On the roads, no so much.

Ford invested $500 million in Rivian a little while back and now has intentions to build an ev based on Rivian's platform. My guess would be that they will buy the "skateboard" from Rivian and building a Ford truck on top if it, or maybe licensing the technology to build themselves.

https://www.drivingline.com/articles...p-s-dominance/

Definitely seems that Rivian has the backing to bring their product to market on the promised timeline though

The Atlis looks extremely interesting, but maybe more fairy tale dream than real truck

Quote Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
    Ford invested $500 million in Rivian a little while back and now has intentions to build an ev based on Rivian's platform. My guess would be that they will buy the "skateboard" from Rivian and building a Ford truck on top if it, or maybe licensing the technology to build themselves.

https://www.drivingline.com/articles...p-s-dominance/

Definitely seems that Rivian has the backing to bring their product to market on the promised timeline though

The Atlis looks extremely interesting, but maybe more fairy tale dream than real truck
    Here's hoping the Atlis has a billion $ private funder somewhere.

Sorta related, Tesla has been testing their big rig on the 80 corridor, per chp donner pass FB post.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Here's hoping the Atlis has a billion $ private funder somewhere.
    That would be dope but they're still seeking crowdsourced funding so I kinda doubt it. If they can pull it off it would be amazing. I particularly like they're "subscription" plan but I have no idea how they would be able to provide support to people in really remote, low economic production areas

I'm not actually sure the Tesla truck is a dedicated big rig, it seems they're targeting a space in between big rigs and full size trucks. Think box trucks or mega-ranches transporting hundreds of hay bales.

Quote Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
    I'm not actually sure the Tesla truck is a dedicated big rig, it seems they're targeting a space in between big rigs and full size trucks. Think box trucks or mega-ranches transporting hundreds of hay bales.
    Supposedly, it was testing at 75k lbs. idk what that means in the world of freight.

80k is the max for most double axle tractor trailers so 75k is bigger than a box truck.