Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Also they don't tell you anywhere this important fact, you NEVER fully charge your vehicle, and you should try to never go below 20 percent to keep the batteries in good shape. So the 400 miles advertised is a dream. Fully charged will be 350-360~ not 400.
    Is this something that the car manages for you or do you actually have to make sure you don't fully charge it? Sounds like a PITA. And I'm the guy who drives until the very last drop so the 20% cutoff would be difficult to manage too. Buying a used one could be a total quagmire too if the guy before you didn't treat the batteries well.

Obviously a lot of things will affect range, and this is all hypothetical until these are actually in production.

You set the charging limit in the app or in the console the day you buy it and then forget it. It's easy. 20% cut off is easy to maintain daily driving, but probably impossible on road trips in the west until many more charging stations are built.

I don't think a lot of this will be hypothetical unless they have a drastically different battery system as a Tesla. Should be very similar, unless the tech gets better before they release it. Which it may.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Tesla would ask for a high premium to lend their network to another company.

Independent High speed charging networks are popping up everywhere. No need to use Teslas network when they can sign a deal for much cheaper with independents. They bought a former Mitsubishi plant that has full robotics and welding facilities . This company is 9 years old and carefully planned delaying the prototype announcement until they have their ducks in a row. I am sure they learned from Teslas unrealistic timelines for their cars release date. Also I would think electricity is far more ubiquitous than gasoline and that you could actually be more off the grid with an EV than a gas powered car. I have a client that has 2 Teslas and powers them and his house and he lives in a small house in Seattle which isn't the solar capital of the world. I am thinking probably closer to 2022 realistically but that is fine. By that time Tesla will have announced their pickup which will add another choice. There is a company called Bollinger motors that is making a truck & SUV modeled after a Land Rover Defender. I think they are ugly but I bet some people will go crazy for them.
    I agree mostly with this.

en re Bollinger, I like the boxy stuff... I just don't like that because they are going class 3 or whatever truck they aren't going to do some of the safety features that would be necessary if it were classed smaller. At these price points I want a few more bells and whistles too.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I agree mostly with this.

en re Bollinger, I like the boxy stuff... I just don't like that because they are going class 3 or whatever truck they aren't going to do some of the safety features that would be necessary if it were classed smaller. At these price points I want a few more bells and whistles too.

Much less range than the Rivian claims and they don't have a build price or location to manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Much less range than the Rivian claims and they don't have a build price or location to manufacture.
    I heard or saw somewhere they were moving out of upstate new york to the midwest to start figuring some of this out....

That Rivian SUV will literally check all of our boxes.. electric, third row, awd.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Rivian Electric AWD Truck and SUV

They will sell a shit load of these to the Brad’s and Chad’s for their adventurous commute from their condos in Mission Viejo to the office park in Irvine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just a fancy toy for people with money to burn. I’m waiting for a bare bones electric Hilux for $25,000.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    They will sell a shit load of these to the Brad’s and Chad’s for their adventurous commute from their condos in Mission Viejo to the office park in Irvine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's probably 80 percent + of the donestic pickup truck market.

I think that once you go over a certain weight you can list it as commercial and 100 percent right it off as a business expense . Perhaps that is Bollingers strategy . That is what for better or worse made the Hummer H1 a success when first launched. There is another company the name starts with an A that is going after the F350 market with less acceleration than the Rivian but bigger and 500 plus mile range but who knows if or when that ever makes it to production. All of this is happening while gas is relatively cheap. As soon as there is some conflict or oil prices spike EVs will explode in popularity. They pulled the electric motor out of a Tesla with 2 million miles on it and it looked brand new. Pretty exciting time right now
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I think Electric is here like it or not, even up here there are charging stations

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Just a fancy toy for people with money to burn. I’m waiting for a bare bones electric Hilux for $25,000.
    Google sale figures, there are no cool small PU's becuz nobody was buying them, old Ford ranger was the last small PU which they stopped making 5 years ago

Full or mid size Tacoma/Colorado new Ranger they can sell
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think Electric is here like it or not, even up here there are charging stations

Google sale figures, there are no cool small PU's becuz nobody was buying them, old Ford ranger was the last small PU which they stopped making 5 years ago

Full or mid size Tacoma/Colorado new Ranger they can sell
    That's probably true, but the chicken tax definitely had something to do with this. Get rid of the tax, then there's a competitive price...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    buy or create a converted one.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    That's probably true, but the chicken tax definitely had something to do with this. Get rid of the tax, then there's a competitive price...
    who out side of a few people that post on ski and bike forums wants a mini truck?

in trump land you are more likely to have more tariffs than less

I'd settle for a four door pickup w/ a six foot bed that gets 40mpg hwy. Diesel plus hybrid?

who out side of a few people that post on ski and bike forums wants a mini truck?
    Well, actually we'll probably never know. But to your point, there's a reason small vans are becoming popular, lots of businesses need delivery vehicles, etc. Small pickups would have a similar use. I don't see thousand year old mini-pickups in BC, but I see them in the city pretty often.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I'd settle for a four door pickup w/ a six foot bed that gets 40mpg hwy. Diesel plus hybrid?
    I think we need to hope that Jeep puts the PHEV drivetrain from the Wrangler into the Gladiator, though I think the bed on that rig looks like it'll be shy of 6'.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Well, actually we'll probably never know. But to your point, there's a reason small vans are becoming popular, lots of businesses need delivery vehicles, etc. Small pickups would have a similar use. I don't see thousand year old mini-pickups in BC, but I see them in the city pretty often.
    its really easy to google sale figures on the mini PU's that are no longer marketed in NA and see how the sales figures dropped year after year, you don't see thosePU's anymore cuz at this point hey are fucking old and worn out ... yes, even the toyotas

Ford Ranger sales (1985-2012)[48]
    Calendar year US sales
    1985 247,042
    1986 269,490
    1987 305,295
    1988 298,579
    1989 184,125
    1990 280,610
    1991 233,503
    1992 247,777
    1993 340,184
    1994 344,744
    1995 309,085
    1996 288,393
    1997[49] 298,796
    1998[50] 328,136
    1999[51] 348,358
    2000 330,125
    2001[52] 272,460
    2002[53] 226,094
    2003 209,117
    2004[54] 156,322
    2005 120,958
    2006[55] 92,420
    2007 72,711
    2008[56] 65,872
    2009[57] 55,600
    2010[58] 55,364
    2011[59] 70,832
    2012 19,366

here you can see from wiki where the ranger peaked 18 years ago, it was gona cost a billion to make a new ranger so they just killed it in 2012 to go with the F-150 which is the sacred cashcow at ford, but apparently they decided the mid sized market is where to be hence the new ranger

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I haven't looked at their financials too close but they own a plant, have about 500 employees and almost a half a billion in investment money. Why don't you think it will make it in production?
    They will have access to about 15,000 or so unemployed GM workers real soon. So, basically it will be a Rivian built by GM!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

in trump land you are more likely to have more tariffs than less
    you'd be surprised. Plenty of little mom and pop operations that would be fine with a smaller than current offerings; Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline, Ranger, Colorado, et all pickup in the driveway or garage.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

no I think you are wrong

Ford already makes billions selling Mom & Pop a PU they can fit 2.2 kids and a dog in, they drive it to costco and fill the box to the top with shit they don't need,

from wiki :

" The Ford F-Series has been the best-selling vehicle in the United States since 1986 and the best-selling pickup since 1977.[1][2] It is also the best selling vehicle in Canada.[3] As of the 2018 model year, the F-Series generates $41.0 billion in annual revenue for Ford, making the F-Series brand more valuable than Coca-Cola and Nike.[4] "

IMO its only a matter of time till Ford introduces an electric f-150, I wonder how the proto-types are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    ...though I think the bed on that rig looks like it'll be shy of 6'.
    5 ft bed per article I read.

IMO its only a matter of time till Ford introduces an electric f-150, I wonder how the proto-types are doing
    ^I sure as hell hope so! Honestly, though, I don't think they're working on prototyping yet. It is pretty scary, and makes me think that if they don't buy someone like Rivian, BYD (Chinese) will win this battle in 2025 and Ford may go the way of the snowlerblade.

You really can't build a good EV without starting from scratch on the frame. You can build one...just not one that will change the market. I'm not a truck guy, but it seems like everyone on here owns one. Here's a picture of the Rivian Frame and the F-150 Frame. Would love to hear the cons list on the Rivian vs F-150 from a frame design/articulation/towing perspective. They're both sort of body on frame I guess, but only one could be described as ladder imho.

I think the only thing Ford would use in an electric f 150 is the f 150 name plate becuz it is the best selling truck or vehical in NA since forever

everyone on TGR has a truck because thats what america buys either the very popular midsized or full sized, the local chev dealer in my small town sells 1000 trucks a year, they don't even give a fuck about cars but they will sell you one

and i don't know if Ford are working on an electric F 150 i just assume they are working on/have electric PU and SUV proto types

I am pretty sure all the car mfgers either have an electric car in production or have working prototypes

F150 gets better MPG, towing, has more space, and is actually about the same price as a Tacoma. I did the math and went with a Ford, as much as I didn't want to.

The F150 frame could accommodate a lot more battery power. I'm no enginerd, but if they can do it with gas, then why not with Lithium?

Ford is a pretty well established company, with a pretty well established brand (F150). I'd guess that they have a plan for all this and are just waiting to roll it out over time so as not to blow their whole wad at once. That's how you do it, introduce a little bit each year, only as much as you have to to draw people in and keep them interested. Why go full on EV right away on the F150? Trickle in some hybrid shit, a little diesel here, a little Ecoboost there, aluminum and such..... You can't get too far ahead of the game, or else you'll lose steam in a few years. That's how shit works.

Ford didn't need the bailout like GM and Chrysler becuz they had already restructured, already had their shit togetehr