Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Not one person has said what the upside is except 'experiences'. You can get 'experiences' anywhere, why is everyone vague about the greatness of India, specifically where he would be working?
    You can meet people from a vastly different background, learn how other lives work (including some rather nasty bits of humanity), eat some great food, visit amazing holy places, see interesting art & architecture and thousands of years of human civilization, see some of the highest mountains in the world, beautiful beaches, wild animals. Desperate poverty side by side with extreme wealth; beauty and ugly. As said in Kim " such a river of life as nowhere else exists in the world"

I guess you could get that in Indiana, too.

People seem to like India or hate it. Probably because you can't insulate yourself. At least some of what people complain here about - corruption, pollution, human exploitation, rampant sexim, religious abuse - takes place in a number of other developing world countrys. But in many of those (ime Indonesia, China, Cambodia) it's not that expensive to get a resort or hotel that'll insulate yourself reasonably well from it and you can pretend it doesn't exist. You can't in India.

^^^ well said

School me: Living and working in Gurgaon India for 6 months

Not one person has said what the upside is except 'experiences'. You can get 'experiences' anywhere, why is everyone vague about the greatness of India, specifically where he would be working?

Then again, I think someone mentioned a train ride to the mountains, maybe you can get a pet monkey pretty easy over there that can run errands, food is good obviously if it doesn't kill a kid or two....

Is there a worse place to go with kids? And I mean live, not vacation which is totally do-able. Maybe Yemen? Even big parts of Afghanistan would be better than being stuck in a massive crowded sweltering hot Indian city.
    The universe of possible experiences in India is infinite and unlike anywhere else in the world. Everyday there is surreal. But attitudes like yours don't get it, so I will leave it at that. I've spent months eating street food. While I don't generally recommend that, I never got sick there. Didn't get any shots or take any other precautions other than not drinking tap water and yet somehow I lived. People generally love India or hate it and part of loving it is dealing w things about India that make you hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You can meet people from a vastly different background, learn how other lives work (including some rather nasty bits of humanity), eat some great food, visit amazing holy places, see interesting art & architecture and thousands of years of human civilization, see some of the highest mountains in the world, beautiful beaches, wild animals. Desperate poverty side by side with extreme wealth; beauty and ugly. As said in Kim " such a river of life as nowhere else exists in the world"

I guess you could get that in Indiana, too.

People seem to like India or hate it. Probably because you can't insulate yourself. At least some of what people complain here about - corruption, pollution, human exploitation, rampant sexim, religious abuse - takes place in a number of other developing world countrys. But in many of those (ime Indonesia, China, Cambodia) it's not that expensive to get a resort or hotel that'll insulate yourself reasonably well from it and you can pretend it doesn't exist. You can't in India.
    I said specifically where he was working.

[QUOTE=mcski;5522210]But attitudes like yours don't get it, so I will leave it at that. {/QUOTE]

I'm planning a trip for next year with my 2 and 4 year old to Ethiopia. Can you explain my attitude to me, smart guy? You know me so well!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The universe of possible experiences in India is infinite and unlike anywhere else in the world. Everyday there is surreal. But attitudes like yours don't get it, so I will leave it at that. I've spent months eating street food. While I don't generally recommend that, I never got sick there. Didn't get any shots or take any other precautions other than not drinking tap water and yet somehow I lived
    The Hugh is strong in this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

[QUOTE=muted;5522219]
    But attitudes like yours don't get it, so I will leave it at that. {/QUOTE]

I'm planning a trip for next year with my 2 and 4 year old to Ethiopia. Can you explain my attitude to me, smart guy? You know me so well!
    Never been to Ethiopia, but based on your comment that parts of Afghanistan would be safer I can categorically say you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Pretty solid dick measuring contest we got going here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    How's mine lookin'?

Mcski, you're a smug bitch. That's what i got from yer comments.

^no kidding

everybody I know who went there for work (hydrabaad) got sick - top tier hotels and work and restaurants - drank beer out at restaurant. the trips were all less than a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Listen to this guy. He's got a two day head-start on you, which is more than he needs. Brody's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan. He speaks a dozen languages and knows every local custom.
    Well done Indiana.

The universe of possible experiences in India is infinite and unlike anywhere else in the world. Everyday there is surreal. But attitudes like yours don't get it, so I will leave it at that. I've spent months eating street food. While I don't generally recommend that, I never got sick there. Didn't get any shots or take any other precautions other than not drinking tap water and yet somehow I lived. People generally love India or hate it and part of loving it is dealing w things about India that make you hate it.
    Again, as has been stated many times, he was offered to go with a wife that wasn't keen on the idea and live there for 3 months with a 3 and 6 year old.
    Jesus fucking on a skateboard christ.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Well done Indiana.
    Well played common.... very well played.

How's mine lookin'?

Mcski, you're a smug bitch. That's what i got from yer comments.
    Ethiopa a strong pull, not gonna lie. Throw in obscure, landlocked developing country visit and you may take home the belt.

I said specifically where he was working.
    scratch the mountains, beaches and wild animals the rest applys.

I wouldn't move their if the wife wasn't keen, that's stupid. I wouldn't travel with young kids, because it's pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    applys..

Ethiopa a strong pull, not gonna lie. Throw in obscure, landlocked developing country visit and you may take home the belt.
    I brought it up not to dick wave, I din't even consider that. I thought it clearly showed I'm open to possible difficult experiences with young kids as a response to mcsmug's smugness.

Bottom line is he's not wrong and neither am I, it all depends on the OP's attitude and his wife's. Of course it CAN be a good experience with the right attitude. And the right pet monkey.

I know man, just messing around.. it's something you're stoked on, power to ya. It's pretty wild how much people travel nowadays. It definitely makes for some interesting opportunities in life, though it can lead to some 'never again' things as well.

I brought it up not to dick wave, I din't even consider that. I thought it clearly showed I'm open to possible difficult experiences with young kids as a response to mcsmug's smugness.

Bottom line is he's not wrong and neither am I, it all depends on the OP's attitude and his wife's. Of course it CAN be a good experience with the right attitude. And the right pet monkey.
    I'm not sure where the smug came from, but I got compared to Hugh so I'm putting it in the win column.

My only point is that India is somehow different than all other 3rd world shitholes in an aggravating yet rewarding way. But no way would I take my wife either regardless of the monkey

I think it would be different if everybody wants to go

Of course it CAN be a good experience with the right attitude. And the right pet monkey.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

First World dick waving contest. Classic TGR privileged view of the world. Almost upper class British.

just to clarify, when i say we'd go, i mean my family would go to india and would want to go. i wasn't making any comment about op's particular situation.

I know man, just messing around.. it's something you're stoked on, power to ya. It's pretty wild how much people travel nowadays. It definitely makes for some interesting opportunities in life, though it can lead to some 'never again' things as well.
    I'm just going for the monkeys. Don't you want to chill with these guys at 10,000 feet?

Name:  Ethiopia-Monkey-Geladas-631.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  52.4 KB

if anyone has actually gone to Ethiopia, lemme know if I'm as crazy as the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    just to clarify, when i say we'd go, i mean my family would go to india and would want to go. i wasn't making any comment about op's particular situation.
    Yea but Would your wife want to live there for 6-9 months?

Or are you just talking about a vacation?

Big difference.