iPad Pro or MacBook Pro for video editing

I have nice iPad Pro (10.5" screen) and a MacBook Air (mid-2015) but I'm thinking of selling both of them to get a MacBook Pro for video editing.

I initially bought the iPad for video editing but I never really got used to it. I still think it's easier on a laptop. I'll be doing more 4K video stuff and my MacBook Air doesn't really handle it well.

Anyone ever try to move to the iPad for video editing but went back to a laptop because they just couldn't get used to the iPad?

I'm not a pro videographer obviously, I just like to mess around for fun.

Experiences?

Thanks.

What are you editing for? What app are you using.

I have a friend that uses Lumatouch on the ipad pro for quick things...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Also, was considering selling my 2015 imac because it can't handle my gopros top quality video files... so interested in following this.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

If it's supper on the fly editing IOS is probably OK for most folks who are just wanting to fool around with their clips a little.

Generally speaking I would say that the MBP is going to provide you with a better set of tools.
    A lot of what I do is more or less in Adobe CS (which includes Premier), in my experience the IOS apps lack the functionality compared to stuff designed for a standard desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Also, was considering selling my 2015 imac because it can't handle my gopros top quality video files... so interested in following this.
    Not an expert on this by any stretch but it seems to me that you will need to update video codec files (in whatever application you are using) for the newer H.265 (HEVC).

The processor doesn't handle HEVC in that machine... but my iPhone does
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I'll be using it for vacation videos, sharing with family, some off roading videos in the summer months, skiing, etc...

I've used Lumafusion and the app itself offers a lot of tools.

I guess the main thing is the the iPad itself. I think I'm realizing that the iPad is good for web surfing and watching movies on a plane, but can't replace 25 years of using a computer for most things. The computer form factor seems to be what I miss the most.