Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    Definitely need a tri pod for those. Provably 20 to 30 second exposures, the trailers are probably hours
    I mean, that's what I assumed, but I was curious if he actually brought a tripod into those huts or set the camera on something else.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I mean, that's what I assumed, but I was curious if he actually brought a tripod into those huts or set the camera on something else.
    Tripod for sure. I think all of those are 30 second exposures at F2 and ISO 3200. The star trails one is 2 hours of 30s exposures stitched together.
    I have a MeFoto Backpacker Air tripod. It's not the lightest but it's light enough and packs small.

Fair enough, could have been set on something, I've done that before with a remote. I also have a mefoto tripod but one heavier than the backpacker, can't remember the exact model. Fun to work with. We went a long time with just resting the camera on surfaces but a tripod changes the game. Good investment if you are on the fence.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Tripod for sure. I think all of those are 30 second exposures at F2 and ISO 3200. The star trails one is 2 hours of 30s exposures stitched together.
    I have a MeFoto Backpacker Air tripod. It's not the lightest but it's light enough and packs small.
    3200??? How do you avoid noise? That seems stupid high for a long exposure

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like people are stoked on the 55-210. Any thoughts on the 55-210 vs the 70-300?

Unless I'm missing something, the 55-210 seems stupid cheap now.
    From all my research, the 55-210 is a cheap lens. It's good enough. Soft, slow, no contrast. The 70-300 get's awesome reviews. Marginally less sharp than the 70-200 f4 but way bigger reach. I am buying one tomorrow. And a 12mm f2.8 rokinon

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog325 View Post

Here's a pretty cool calculator for astrophotography: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/milky-wa...re-calculator/

edit: doesn't answer your question, just thought it was appropriate.

Again, I don't really know what I'm doing. There is definitely noise but I've found it manageable to deal with in post to bring it down to acceptable levels for web viewing and small to medium sized prints.
    That calculator says I should be using ISO 1600. I'll give that a shot next time.

Most of the sensors built in the last few years can shoot that high with the noise being fairly easily managed in post.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Most of the sensors built in the last few years can shoot that high with the noise being fairly easily managed in post.
    I agree. Also depends what you are doing with the photo. If just for your own viewing pleasure, internet photos and small prints the noise won't be very noticeable at 3200. I've shot 6400 for astro without much notice for IG photos. If you are blowing them up for large prints or selling your work that's a different story, but if you are a pro or selling your work you probably aren't shooting a cropped sensor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Since we've totally hijacked this into a "what Sony lens" thread....

I don't think it's really fair to compare the 55-210 with the 70-300. The 70-300 fuckin' better be better. It's a $1200 full frame lens vs a $350 crop sensor lens. It's also physically way bigger - 1-3/8" longer, 3/4" bigger diameter, and over 1lb heavier. I understand why GoldenBC is going that way since he's buying for a future camera, but I don't think it makes any sense to buy that lens if an a6X00 camera is your only rig and you don't have intentions of going full frame. Throwing a giant lens on a compact mirrorless kinda defeats the purpose of using a compact mirrorless.

So if you stick with APS-C lenses, I think your choices for a long (200mm+) telephoto E mount lens are Sony 55-210, Sony/Tamron 18-200, and Sony 18-200 LE. I haven't tried the standard 18-200, only the LE, but I think the 55-210 is better/sharper. Which is a bummer as I would have liked to have been able to just run one lens instead of carrying around multiple. Here are examples of 100% crops from both lenses, in similar shooting conditions:

Sony 55-210mm, shot at 150mm f9 1/640s ISO320

Sony 18-200 LE, shot at 170mm f8 1/800s ISO800

There's more noise in the second image due to the higher ISO, but it definitely is not as sharp either. Neither are perfect, but to me the 55-210 is better.

For a shorter range zoom, I'll probably have to try both the 18-135 and the 16-70 and decide if the 16-70 is $400 better than the 18-135. Either should be an upgrade from the kit PZ16-50.

I think this thread may have talked me into getting a 35mm-ish prime. Opinions between the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and the Sony 35mm f1.8? The Sony is smaller, the Sigma is faster and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Since we've totally hijacked this into a "what Sony lens" thread....
    Yeah, the Sony APS-C lens discussion probably deserves its own thread. Just started one here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ens-Discussion
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

A 400 F2.8 is defnitely a good lens but heavy so a tripod is recommended.

Sure. If you have 10 grand to spend on glass and a Sherpa to haul it up the mountain for you.