Where can I find beta for San Jacinto Peak in SoCal?

If the snow comes I'm doing a desert ski trip, starting with San Jacinto Peak's couloir, I think it's called Snow Creek

I've come across sparse trip reports. There doesn't appear to be a SNOTEL in the area. Is there a weather station? A San Jacinto range snow depth monitor? How much snow do they need for this thing to be in? Good time of year? I was thinking early-mid march. Is there a tram that takes you to the area or do we get to climb 9000ft?

Google?

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Paging 1000 oaks
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Name:  P1030743.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  88.9 KB
    Google...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

https://www.pstramway.com/
    ...google...

Call a ranger there about snow conditions and use the tram cams to see how much snow there is nearby.

ah great ideas. I didn't really know how popular the area was/if people thought skiing was ridiculous. I've never met anyone that has heard of it.

I called the forest service in NV about the Ruby Mountains and the woman who answered unironically said "skiing? You're going... skiing? Here?". So I wasn't sure what kind of response I'd get in southern california

Quote Originally Posted by sharkk View Post
    I called the forest service in NV about the Ruby Mountains and the woman who answered unironically said "skiing? You're going... skiing? Here?". So I wasn't sure what kind of response I'd get in southern california
    Yeah, northern Nevada has like 28 full time residents.
    SoCal has 30 million.
    You work out which will see more visitation...

What would be the best time of year to ski it? Is April in the San Jacintos basically summer already? Is March too wintery?

Poke around SierraDescents.com

IIRC, Desert Water Agency used to bar access across their land (at the base of Snow Creek) No idea what's going on with that now. Probably hasn't come up much in recent years because consistent snow to the bottom has been nonexistent as far as I'm aware.

Even if Snow Creek isn't in, it would still be fun to take the tram and just yo-yo some stuff near the summit and then tram back down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkk View Post
    What would be the best time of year to ski it? Is April in the San Jacintos basically summer already? Is March too wintery?
    The best time to ski it is when it's in down low. Some years recently that hasn't happened at all. Southern Cal low elevation snowpack has become fleeting to nonexistent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

pm BigTim.

I haven't seen him around the interwebs, but I'm sure he could be helpful. Perhaps he'll get an email notification of a pm.

Or, pm'ing rontele always works. That guy knows more local lines than Benny.

I believe OTTime has posted about skiing San Jacinto. He probably has some insights.

I've skied that

it was a fucking pain in the ass

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Had a legit pow day up there in 08. Wrote a TR here but too lazy to look for it now and I think the pic links broke anyway. Only stuck to the front side. I do remember an article in the old Couloir mag about the Snow Creek decent. I think it also discussed the illegality of crossing the water depts land at the base.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Too serious a climb/descent for me, PM "Sticksplitman" and "Twisted Testacles" in Pasadena.

It is in condition rarely and for short periods, so it is really hard to plan a trip for it. More of keeping your ear to the ground and go with all the factors line up. It can be a giant icy alley way too to bottom, powder and ice, rocks hidden by powder, down climbs and rappers, and then you end in private property (a water district that does not appreciate skiers or climbers). Back in the day there were also a couple of really big dogs to add a pucker factor. I dont know the current status of land access. Some people ski down and climb back up and out since it can involved massive bush wacking. All that said, I havent been then in 30 plus years.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Not even counting the major access issues, given how few people climb or ski that route vs how many injuries/fatalities there have been over the years, anyone going in there better know their shit.

San G is right across the street, and is pretty damn cool with less risk and a lot less hassle.
    http://sgwa.org/forums/forum/trail-conditions/

Yeah, some fun skiing on San G ams Jepson.

But, you got to admit that is a fantastic line on San J. It would be in a '50 Classic Lines" if it were anywhere else.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^ True that.