Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hardly hero worship.
    Absolutely. Paul's appeal was as The Everyman who just happened to finish 5 Tours despite being one of the worst climbers in the field and to bag 2 British road championships.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Sad day for folks who came into cycling with him as part of the voice of the TdF
    He was one of only a handful of Brit pros racing in Europe when I was racing as a kid.

During the winter the few of them that were would visit local clubs and teams to do club rides or coaching seminars. met and rode with him a few times at those.

Liggett used to commentate at the bigger British race meets back then too.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Absolutely. Paul's appeal was as The Everyman who just happened to finish 5 Tours despite being one of the worst climbers in the field and to bag 2 British road championships.
    He was known as being a tough, tough guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    He was known as being a tough, tough guy.
    Oh yeah, Paul could suffer. His solo ride on the first day of the mountains in the 1985 Tour is grunt legend.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    El K, maybe they knew or (IMO more likely) they engaged in voluntary ignorance and denial. So what? They are play-by-play artists, not the fucking DEA.

Phil gave hints that he's looking to retire soon.

It went better than I had expected. I anticipated that Bobke would drive me nuts, but his commentary was pretty good, not the usual Bobke goofy shtick.

BTW, very exciting Vuelta this year! IMO, 2018 was by far the most entertaining year for the Grand Tours in recent years: Froome's comeback in the Giro, GT's surprise win of the Tour and Simon Y winning a whacky back-and-forth Vuelta for the UK sweep.
    I enjoy Roll a lot more than some, but I was a bit offended at his insistence more than once to voice his opinion about bullfighting. I think it was rude to the host country. Ok, Bob, mention it once and let it go. You're in Spain, furcryingoutloud.

interesting...

sad news for sure, not sure about checkers but watching the tour with Phil & Paul commentating was about the most enjoyment i get from sports viewing, especially after a good mtb ride.

will see what happens with the announcing - maybe Rob Warner's looking for a change ;-)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.