Big Bend Nat Park

Looking for recommendations for backpacking routes in big bend with the most water around December. How about Guadalupe mtns? I realize that is kinda nuts and theres likely no water anywhere but any routes with faucets? hate big water carries

There’s water at the developed campgrounds but none in the backcountry. So you do need to pack your water for hikes.

Be sure to visit the hot springs down by the river.

I was just at Guadalupe Mountains. Cool place, but I think Big Bend is probably cooler (never been). No water available at Guadalupe Mountains in the backcountry. I think at Big Bend it is the same, but you can drop water if you have a 4x4 on some routes.

Guadalupe Mountains has some New Mexico style alpine / desert combo terrain which I really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I was just at Guadalupe Mountains. Cool place, but I think Big Bend is probably cooler (never been). No water available at Guadalupe Mountains in the backcountry. I think at Big Bend it is the same, but you can drop water if you have a 4x4 on some routes.

Guadalupe Mountains has some New Mexico style alpine / desert combo terrain which I really enjoy.
    I have a friend who goes to the Guadalupe Mountains each year for about a week. I think he said he found a spring which makes it possible. He’s got supplies stashed away so he can rebuild his camp each year without hauling in a bunch of stuff. Illegal, but it’s so remote and hidden so no one can find it. At least no one has for the last 20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I have a friend who goes to the Guadalupe Mountains each year for about a week. I think he said he found a spring which makes it possible. He’s got supplies stashed away so he can rebuild his camp each year without hauling in a bunch of stuff. Illegal, but it’s so remote and hidden so no one can find it. At least no one has for the last 20 years or so.
    Haha that's funny. Yes, there are some springs, but the only one I saw was behind a railing (though easy to get to if you wanted). I was just quoting what they say on their backcountry information notice. Maybe the spring doesn't run year-round, I am not sure.

No one really seems to go to Guadalupe, so it wouldn't be hard to hide much.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Haha that's funny. Yes, there are some springs, but the only one I saw was behind a railing (though easy to get to if you wanted). I was just quoting what they say on their backcountry information notice. Maybe the spring doesn't run year-round, I am not sure.

No one really seems to go to Guadalupe, so it wouldn't be hard to hide much.
    Yeah, no doubt water is very scarce there. This place is his big secret. I’ve probably revealed too much already. I think he only goes there because he can. I guess the stars are pretty spectacular on a clear night, though.