Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New K2 Recon 120 Fitted by Larry...Questions

Got fitted at Larrys other day in Boulder. He put me in some of the new K2 Recon 120 boots with his molded footbeds. Hard to say what boots are gona do after you leave the store as standing in his shop drinking PBR and bombing a mountain on ON3P Billy Goats is a little different. Only on 2nd day skiing them and had to pull them off twice to get my toes de-numbed and warmed back up. Toe box is killing me on these and on outside of both feet. No hot spots per say, love the way they drive and are just awesome for an hour out of the gate each time. Can the toe box be punched out any on boots? I know...call Larry but just settin here thinking about it and posted up.

I widened the toe box of a pair of Recon 120 MV's this week; I bet Larry can as well.

When were the days you skied? If you went today, it was in the negatives during first chair at the basin. My toes got cold as hell and I normally don't have an issue... Just something to consider unless this was happening on 20+ degree days. Getting a few more days to pack them out combined with a little warmer weather may be the ticket.

Yeah it was this weekend. Still they were just numb. Just slowly progressed to worse after an hour or so.

Larry is not some bootfitting god as many claim. I know a few people who don't have super odd feet who still never got a great fit from him.

He'll probably tell you to ski more until liners pack out. But you can always insist they make more room (in forefoot or over instep if it is a circulation issue) -- which is completely doable in the Recon. Punch/stretch them will give you more room than grinding since its a pretty thin boot.

any better or worse

1) with the toe buckles looser, or 100% off?
    2) with a thinner sock?
    2) with out ANY footbed?

Only ran the buckles on first click and strap snugged up a smidge.

Didnt try any thinner socks as the Smartwool ones are pretty thin IMO.

Didnt remove footbeds

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    any better or worse

1) with the toe buckles looser, or 100% off?
    2) with a thinner sock?
    2) with out ANY footbed?

Is the Recon regarded as a "cold boot"? I hear people talk about certain boots like the Cochise is sometimes referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    Is the Recon regarded as a "cold boot"? I hear people talk about certain boots like the Cochise is sometimes referred to.
    The Recon series is quite new and I haven't heard much feedback, though I don't regard the Cochise as a "cold" boot. You know they make a Recon 120 MV Heat with a heated liner, right?

Only on 2nd day skiing them and had to pull them off twice to get my toes de-numbed and warmed back up.
    If your new boots are super comfortable after 2 days, you'll be swimming in them after 2 months. Different people have a wide range of definitions of pain, as well as different standards for performance. Forefoot width can be a separate issue, but in terms of overall volume you should be fine if you can get through 1-1.5 hours without needing to take the boots off. For TGR hard charger types, feet going to sleep after half an hour in a new boot is not unheard of (true of my boots this season, which are now fine).

PS You can ease the break-in period agony by doing most of it in the house (I tend to spend around 6 hours each week watching football in my new boots each fall) rather than just going up to ski in them.

Thanks gregL. Good wealth of info. I really like the boot and want it to work. Ill keep pushing forward. Just wanted to make sure what I was experiencing was somewhat normal. When I bought mine I didnt know about the MV. Hopefully they didnt make the MV one because the regular one was gona be lightweight / cold. Will see.

what Greg said.

plus try skiing with the footbeds. and the toe buckles 100% off

Did you mean without the footbeds?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what Greg said.

plus try skiing with the footbeds. and the toe buckles 100% off

So, you bought a new boot and your feet got cold and numb and youre posting it on the internet why? Tell your bootfitter and he will fix it. Thats the whole point of going to a bootfitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    So, you bought a new boot and your feet got cold and numb and youre posting it on the internet why? Tell your bootfitter and he will fix it. Thats the whole point of going to a bootfitter.
    Or he'll tell you to be patient and ski on it some more till it starts to pack.

Did you mean without the footbeds?

yes, remove the footbeds

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    Or we can do away with forums because there is no need to ask questions?

Or we can do away with forums because there is no need to ask questions?
    I get it, but what are you gonna do, show Larry this thread and hope he figures it out based on replies ? If you’re stumped post away but it seems like you haven’t put any faith in the process. New boots suck for almost everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Im putting faith in the process just wanted to verify what I had goin on.

just reread my unhelpful posts, sorry for being overly critical of someone legitamitely looking for info. Rough week at work = dumb postings by me.

Don’t under estimate the sock you are wearing. Last season I was in a lot of pain for a few days because I unthinkingly went from a thin sock to a thin-medium thickness sock. Went back to thin sock and they were a dream.

There are socks thinner than smart wool thin - I have a couple pair from le feet lab in winter park that are like pantyhose almost. Try a pair of ones like that before getting any work done. You’ll be glad you did after you have 30 days in the boots and they’ve packed out a bit - then you can go back to the smart wool socks

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Don’t under estimate the sock you are wearing. Last season I was in a lot of pain for a few days because I unthinkingly went from a thin sock to a thin-medium thickness sock. Went back to thin sock and they were a dream.

There are socks thinner than smart wool thin - I have a couple pair from le feet lab in winter park that are like pantyhose almost. Try a pair of ones like that before getting any work done. You’ll be glad you did after you have 30 days in the boots and they’ve packed out a bit - then you can go back to the smart wool socks
    Amen to that. I once accidentally put on some thin Smartwool socks that I use with my Maestrals. Problem was that there was a change in plans - skiing inbounds with my Langes (use super thin socks with those). It was not fun.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post

Solid advice right here. I could only wear the thinnest if thin in my boots when I first got them. Then I was able to move up to a thin/med after 15-20 days.
    Same thing when I put intuitions in my boots. Molded them with pantyhose. By the end of the season I was able to get a light medium sock in them which is perfect. Adds a touch of cushion and extra warmth.

#1: does your bare foot touch both sides of the plastic shell without the liner in the shell? If not, you likely don't need to consider bootwork until the liner packs out. If yes, maybe go see Larry.

Next time you ski:
    - As muggy said, wear a very, very thin sock, like pantyhose thin. Or just go buy some knee-high pantyhose.
    - warm the boots up before putting them on by sticking them under your car floor heaters. Put them on when the plastic is warm to the touch. This will especially help with your numb feet if it's cold out. (If you had heat-moldable liners molded by Larry, don't warm the liners up too much or they'll remold.)
    - At a minimum, unbuckle all the buckles for the chair ride. Consider not buckling the lower shell at all, as even one click can make them too tight, IME.
    - try without the footbeds, or with some from your old boots

Also, if you had fully custom footbeds made (hard to tell from your post), consider wearing them in your shoes starting with just an hour per day and working your way up for like a week or two. Your feet need to get used to some amount of correction, at least IME. I typically do the minimalist shoe thing, but every time I get some new footbeds, I like to wear them for a bit just to let my body get used to them. YMMV.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Are you unbuckling / buckling them every run while they break in?

I wear pantyhose style sock for 2/3 of every season and for any touring mission. ‘’Sock liner’’ is a better term, they’re even thinner than non-compression ultra lightweight ski socks such as Whisper Pros.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8969.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	258760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8968.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	258761