Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    the cantology looks cool but I don't see where I need them in spite of the fact I'm flat foot & pretty knock kneed to the point where its hard to set an inside edge

for me that problem is easy to fix using a 40$ store bought foot bed with a lot of arch support, my feet like the red soles, I also need them to take up extra space in a boot

I used to do it with the cuff cant adj but my vulcan don't have cuff cant and my Dalbello are set at neutral,

btw some Dalbello have cuff cant on both hinges
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the cantology looks cool but I don't see where I need them in spite of the fact I'm flat foot & pretty knock kneed to the point where its hard to set an inside edge

for me that problem is easy to fix using a 40$ store bought foot bed with a lot of arch support, my feet like the red soles, I also need them to take up extra space in a boot

I used to do it with the cuff cant adj but my vulcan don't have cuff cant and my Dalbello are set at neutral,

btw some Dalbello have cuff cant on both hinges
    If you are knock kneed due to flatfoot(tibia rotates internally when subtalar joint pronates) an insole will help correct it.

If you are knockkneed due to a hip or knee issue, outsole canting(or under binding) will address that.

Knock kneed people are typically underedged, not so important in soft snow, or for skidded turns. On hard snow it is difficult to edge the ski at a high enough angle to carve.

Bowlegged people are usually over edged as the knee alines to the outside of the foot, and a little movement puts the ski up on edge a lot. Again no so important on soft snow but overedged on hard now makes the ski want to chatter and not carve smoothly.

There are always exceptions and adaptations and not everyone responds the same.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    If you are knock kneed due to flatfoot(tibia rotates internally when subtalar joint pronates) an insole will help correct it.

If you are knockkneed due to a hip or knee issue, outsole canting(or under binding) will address that.

Knock kneed people are typically underedged, not so important in soft snow, or for skidded turns. On hard snow it is difficult to edge the ski at a high enough angle to carve.

Bowlegged people are usually over edged as the knee alines to the outside of the foot, and a little movement puts the ski up on edge a lot. Again no so important on soft snow but overedged on hard now makes the ski want to chatter and not carve smoothly.

There are always exceptions and adaptations and not everyone responds the same.
    You seem knowledgeable.

I'm knock kneed at the knee due to bone structure. Wouldn't that mean it's easier to get on edge? I know I'm wrong but I can't visualize it.

Also how to fix? Put thickness under inside of foot or outside of foot?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

for me the flat feet make me look knock kneed means my knees can touch but my skis don't so I can't set an edge, the easiest thing was to try insoles to support the arch which I needed also I needed to take up room in the boot

I could see using cantology or wedges or something out side the boot shell if I didn't have room in the boot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    You seem knowledgeable.

I'm knock kneed at the knee due to bone structure. Wouldn't that mean it's easier to get on edge? I know I'm wrong but I can't visualize it.

Inside of foot, but under the binding or on the sole, not inside the boot.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

What’s the rule of thumb? A credit card is what degree of cant roughly?

You can calculate this

Correct. Some people are uncantable, can't tell you why, just doesn't work. If it hurts , it's wrong.

I think the old rule of thumb was good duck tape, 5 layers equals 1*. Wag, a credit card is probably around 1*, others may know better.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    I think the old rule of thumb was good duck tape, 5 layers equals 1*. Wag, a credit card is probably around 1*, others may know better.
    Duct tape

You seem knowledgeable.

Under edged is a bit counter intuitive in its name. It's backwards of what you think.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Working w Matt, see him this afternoon.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

You can calculate this

But can you?

Duct tape

5 pieces of duct tape is an enormous amount. Probably closer to 2.5 degrees. 3-4 pieces of strapping tape is around 1.25 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Working w Matt, see him this afternoon.

tell him Matt Ross sent you there.

You seem knowledgeable.

Think of it this way. You are knock kneed. That means that your knees are inside of the center line of the boot. When you goto initiate the turn, you move your knee to the inside. But you knee is already inside and has no where to go. You then just slide the turn. So if you can the boot (thick side inside) that will move the knee toward boot center. This will allow your knee to move to the inside. This is how it works for about 80% of the population. As stated before, there are some people who can not tolerate this type of adjustment.

In this case instead of trying to change your knee position. you would accommodate it by canting thick side on the outside, essentially taking up the space that is created by being knock kneed.

Yes it can be counter intuitive, you should see someone who knows what they are doing. There are lots of good fitters out there. There are a ton of kooks as well.