Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hernia

I agree with thefortrees. Fine to postpone an inguinal hernia repair if it's not growing and not bothering you, but yours is bothering you, and you're going to get it fixed sooner or later so pick a convenient time and get it done. Otherwise it's going to incarcerate the day before you leave on a one month ski trip to Japan.

Ha! Month long ski trip? I wish. Can just imagine my Wife’s face when I tell her. Can’t imagine busting away from work that long either. I guess I can dream tho! Maybe a little over a decade and I’ll be there.

Old Goat - did you see many incarcerations in your career? Scares me to think about but my docs here kinda play it off like it is such a rare occurrence that I really shouldn’t worry.

Maybe I’ll man up next fall.

You want to come out of retirement ? I’ll let you mess with my lumpy groin.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Ha! Month long ski trip? I wish. Can just imagine my Wife’s face when I tell her. Can’t imagine busting away from work that long either. I guess I can dream tho! Maybe a little over a decade and I’ll be there.

Old Goat - did you see many incarcerations in your career? Scares me to think about but my docs here kinda play it off like it is such a rare occurrence that I really shouldn’t worry.

Maybe I’ll man up next fall.

You want to come out of retirement ? I’ll let you mess with my lumpy groin.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    No, I didn't see many incarcerations. It is relatively rare and unless you are far away from medical care or just in denial it is generally not a big deal to take care of. The main reason we fix hernias is because hernias are uncomfortable. And no, I have no interest in messing with your lumpy groin. I'd much rather do what i did today--ski 5 feet of fresh pow.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'd much rather do what i did today--ski 5 feet of fresh pow.
    Friend in Truckee sent me some pics yesterday. Looked pretty damn sweet...

The surgeon I saw called bullshit and didn't buy that I had a hernia. Says it is much more likely a abdominal muscle strain and to come back in three months if no improvement. Seems to have either been that or resolved itself to a condition I can deal with.

Ill take to nonsurgical route any day.

Ah, so I assume the original diagnosis of hernia was not made by a surgeon? I'd certainly believe what the surgeon says. IMO it's not a hernia until a surgeon says it is. I've seen too many people referred with hernias who didn't have one. OTOH--hernia surgery heals a lot faster than your average muscle pull.

What is typically getting misdiagnosed as a hernia?

Muscle pull, strain, tear (all the same thing). It's easy to feel the bulge of hernia if you're used to feeling it, not so easy if you're not. Once in a great while if a hernia defect (hole in the muscle) is small, the intestine may not always poke out through the hole on demand (ie coughing) and the surgeon may not feel it but with time the hole will enlarge and the diagnosis will be obvious. A non surgeon may feel the general tensing and protrusion of the abdominal muscles with a strain or cough and interpret that as a hernia bulge.

Infants and small children are an exception. It is common for the parents to give a convincing description of a hernia--a mass in the scrotum or just above the labium in a girl--which the surgeon cannot reproduce, but we will operate based on a convincing story and I have never not found a hernia under those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ah, so I assume the original diagnosis of hernia was not made by a surgeon? I'd certainly believe what the surgeon says. IMO it's not a hernia until a surgeon says it is. I've seen too many people referred with hernias who didn't have one. OTOH--hernia surgery heals a lot faster than your average muscle pull.
    Correct. The initial visit was with a PA who suspected a hernia, and ordered an ultrasound. Radiologist diagnosed a hernia.

The surgeon was very convincing and frankly if the person who specializes in cutting people open tells me I don't need surgery thats great in my world.

And yes, the muscle strain is taking forever to heal. Months later and I can still aggravate it.