Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Helicopter parenting

Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I don't have kids, so maybe my opinion doesn't matter, but this is fucked. The last thing educators need is parents around trying to micromanage their child's education.

I know a couple elementary school teachers, and they all say that many parents are worse than the most insufferable children. I'm going to send them this link and see what they think.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

In the earlier grades we walked home for lunch and my mother didn't eat with us then. We'd much rather watch Soupy Sales anyway. I'm pretty sure neither of my parents could have found the school cafeteria. I think they knew where the school was but I can't be sure.

Shit, my parents (particularly my mom) would make a point of connecting with my teachers, to let them know it was Aok to beat the hell out of me if they had to.

My stepdad didn't look like a bearded soccer mom, for some reason. But he showed up for a few games. Once by himself. He taught me how to drive without chewing up clutches and brakes, and how to change oil, and how to use a slide rule, and how to sell a fake on a b-ball court, and how to build a barn and how to shovel all the shit out of a horse stall, not just some of it.

IMO this type of upbringing is built into us from the past when humans lived in small groups. Constant interaction and mentoring was normal.
    What is different today is perhaps fear. Never before did parent drive to pick up their kids when they lived close to school as an example
    Or maybe some of these parents never got what they considered enough love or attention so their making sure their kids will never experience that.

There have actually been instances where parents of millenials show up with their early twenties kid for a job interview or performance review.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    I don't have kids, so maybe my opinion doesn't matter, but this is fucked. The last thing educators need is parents around trying to micromanage their child's education.

I know a couple elementary school teachers, and they all say that many parents are worse than the most insufferable children. I'm going to send them this link and see what they think.
    I've been in education (teaching- elementary and coaching- HS) for 25 years....I could write a book....Let's just say, education today is a lot different than it used to be.....both positively and negatively. It's the world we live in.

Kids have always been the same.....we as teachers and coaches do our thing to help every individual kid reach their potential...and enjoy their day.....it's the interactions of the adults that become tiresome.

Prior to moving to Utah, I lived in a town (Short Hills, NJ) where heli. was out of control. If parents didn't like the way things were going (meals, teachers, homework, etc.) they would show up at the Superintendent's office with their lawyers. When my daughter was in 2d grade, the kids would routinely bring things like bagels, cupcakes, etc., into school for birthdays. This one parent, who was a publicist, became so irate that not only did she threaten legal action, but she contacted the NYT, 60 minutes and all the networks in an attempt to curtail this type activity. The towns-people got together and wrote her a letter asking her and her family to pick up and get out of dodge. She was a strange bird. When her child had a birthday party (2d grade) the invitations asked that in lieu of gifts, the parents should donate to habitat for humanity. There was no cake, or goodies, but a few parents brought candy. During the party, people noticed that the birthday boy disappeared. Later, he was found in a closet binging on Reeces, Hershey bars and Kit Kats.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

And well on his way of life in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Prior to moving to Utah, I lived in a town (Short Hills, NJ) where heli. was out of control. If parents didn't like the way things were going (meals, teachers, homework, etc.) they would show up at the Superintendent's office with their lawyers. When my daughter was in 2d grade, the kids would routinely bring things like bagels, cupcakes, etc., into school for birthdays. This one parent, who was a publicist, became so irate that not only did she threaten legal action, but she contacted the NYT, 60 minutes and all the networks in an attempt to curtail this type activity. The towns-people got together and wrote her a letter asking her and her family to pick up and get out of dodge. She was a strange bird. When her child had a birthday party (2d grade) the invitations asked that in lieu of gifts, the parents should donate to habitat for humanity. There was no cake, or goodies, but a few parents brought candy. During the party, people noticed that the birthday boy disappeared. Later, he was found in a closet binging on Reeces, Hershey bars and Kit Kats.
    We call these moms “Grizzlies”.....

I get emails everyday from one teacher or another, It’s abuse of the internet.

Pisses me off.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    we had similar parents c’ept i scooped dog shit,
    my realdad was a veterinarian that loved to hunt.
    miss him

i am guilty of being more education/academic helicoptory than most parents and i tend to birddog my kids on the slopes till they can prove to be the aggressive skier.
    I love the image of a bearded, erl coffee drinking helicopter dad. If you had a parent blog, I would absolutely read it.

A University program coordinator type told me they get parents showing up to talk about the bad mark their "children" got saying how little johnny is a nice kid blah blah

and she sez yeah he is nice but he still blew it so he flunks and BTW don't don't come back with these kinds of issues again
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    There have actually been instances where parents of millenials show up with their early twenties kid for a job interview or performance review.
    My wife is a real estate agent, and a lot of millenial couples bring their parents to see houses. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

^Helicopter parent.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

The extent of my involvement in my kids' schools:

Get decent grades and I won't yell at you for your grades.

Oh - and I'll go watch them play sports.

Hell - we don't even go to parent/teacher conferences now that the youngest is out of elementary school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    ^Helicopter parent.
    no, streatkred. parent trying to help plug all the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    More like a uh64 chinook helicopter?

if we had fewer chinook helicopters maybe we'd have fewer gaps to fill at school

if we had fewer chinook helicopters maybe we'd have fewer gaps to fill at school
    Try thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	great-stuff-spray-foam-insulation-99053938-64_1000.jpeg 
Views:	149 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	258199

We won a lottery to be in a "community school" in our school district which required parent volunteering 2 hours a week.

So my wife volunteered for more like 10 hours organizing art projects and doing playground supervising. I ended up tutoring and grading math 2 hours a week. In our situation, this was a good thing since one of our kids had some issues with interacting with other kids and the other had wandering eye problems and resulting reading difficulty.

It ended up working out well for one who eventually developed some friendships, became better adjusted and continued to be academically focused.

It didn't work out so well for the other who was bullied, called retarded, shoved around and generally avoided and taunted. Being there, we saw some of the problems, like being rejected on the playground and in a couple of instances being shoved out of line. That's when the façade of the "community" became obvious and the public school failed one of my kids. She has had to do a bunch of eye therapy to train her eyes to be more controllable. All the meetings with the school we had ended up being saturated with the principal obviously girding for being sued. Eventually, we pulled that one from public school and are home schooling.

I'm sure there's lots of disheartening or contemptuous incidences of control freak parenting at one end of the symptom scale, but that's not necessarily representative of the spectrums.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

2nd grade bilingual immersion
    Good for you. Being unilingual sucks.

A talking baby? Did he sound like Bruce Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    ^Helicopter parent.
    ^ Drives their kids while stoned and brags about it on the internet parent.

I think its rad when parents volunteer at schools but I think they should work in classrooms other than their own childs.