Page 25 of 84 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Congrats and have a great trip.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Way to be AC. Report back--especially on cell service in the parking lot. Looks like a compelling road trip.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I’m headed east for colder weather tonight

Attachment 263485

Whitefish for a few days in honor of 21 yrs of marriage
    congrats, ac!

Attachment 263485

Have fun!

Nice! go easy on the bunk rooms now. i have a similar trip booked for early march

Bob & I rode the Tiger as it was braille skiing at its finest. No friends on groomer days.....
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Attachment 263485

Congrats A & L
    Bet E is stoked about being Home Alone. Party On!

Still skiing nice for 63% of normal!

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Still skiing nice for 63% of normal!
    Only at the highest of elevations.

Hey Oregon folks, looking for some basic info on a potential Bachelor trip from the EC in early March. We spend most of our away skiing in LCC but a mixed ability crew likes to take a trip somewhere different every year. Bachelor is on the radar now, but to be honest I don't know squat about the MTN other than it's a Volcano, Bend has lots of beer, and it's a haul from here. Any helpful advice , anything from terrain options lodging, etc. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

More info needed.

General skill levels? Note - MtB ain’t the place for extreme gnar, but has a reasonable selection of terrain across the spectrum, especially by March.

What kind of lodging you looking for? Hotel, condo, whole house, Bud&Breakfast? In Bend proper or in a resorty property outside of town but closer to the mountain?

By March, the lower elevation Mtn bike trails should be open, if that’s in your plans. Plenty of places to rent good bikes.

Nice run down tbs. I might add bring your money...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    More info needed.

General skill levels? Note - MtB ain’t the place for extreme gnar, but has a reasonable selection of terrain across the spectrum, especially by March.

What kind of lodging you looking for? Hotel, condo, whole house, Bud&Breakfast? In Bend proper or in a resorty property outside of town but closer to the mountain?

By March, the lower elevation Mtn bike trails should be open, if that’s in your plans. Plenty of places to rent good bikes.
    Some of the group will follow me most places on the mountain without mandatory air at the usual suspects, (Alta/bird, Jackson , squawlpine, etc). The rest are like my wife who will ski similar steep terrain well but gets sketched out by significant exposure or high consequence steeps. For example she loves most of the easier Cirque runs at Snowbird including silver fox, easier upper cirque entries, but won't do Great Scott top entry or some of the Gad Chutes b/c the rocks and cliffbands sketch her out. Was fine in Ruby at Whistler off Spankys hike, but wouldn't do the more straightline entries. A couple mostly groomer or low angle open tree skiiers, but they mostly split off on their own. So basically looking for fun ,challenging steeper terrain but doesn't need to be ubergnar.

Would probably stay in condos or hotels in Bend, not looking for whole house. I don't know much about lodging closer to the mtn at all.

Thanks for indulging the gaper touron questions !

Sounds like the worst skier in your group could run a steeps clinic at bachelor.

Hoodoo and sisters are super close too. Really it all depends on the weather but potential for awesome days at Hoodoo. Thrifty Thursdays go through mid-march and they have night skiing too. Way less $ than bachelor in general and super fun terrain (some might say a better concentration of good terrain than Mt. B) . I like to get the Chocolate malt at the Sno Cap for nostalgia . Bachelor has the goods too. It's a whole volcano and it has a ton of good spots. There is no big flashing arrow or map to the best line but you can find fun stuff that goes off the charts. Weather will determine what is best but I've had fun there in all conditions. Since you said volcano you should do some volcano stuff too like try to go into a lava tube and see some obsidian.There is a caldera lake south of town that is super cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Hey Oregon folks, looking for some basic info on a potential Bachelor trip from the EC in early March. We spend most of our away skiing in LCC but a mixed ability crew likes to take a trip somewhere different every year. Bachelor is on the radar now, but to be honest I don't know squat about the MTN other than it's a Volcano, Bend has lots of beer, and it's a haul from here. Any helpful advice , anything from terrain options lodging, etc. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Sounds like the worst skier in your group could run a steeps clinic at bachelor.

Ugh, that bad? I've head the Flatchelor comments before, but kinda figured it was just ball busting more than reality.

Ugh, that bad? I've head the Flatchelor comments before, but kinda figured it was just ball busting more than reality.
    I think it is. Yeah, the mountain flattens out toward the bottom, but there's plenty of steep terrain and excellent cruising.

Lots of good Airbnb type accommodations in Bend. If it were me I'd be looking for a house in a neighborhood close to bars and restaurants. There will be plenty of decently priced options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190110_101827.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	305.1 KB 
ID:	263687

Bachelor gets screen time in Warren Miller’s 1984 Ski Country and 2010’s Children of Winter. Your might check them out Duff.

Also, the last week of March is Oregon’s spring break, so you may try to avoid travel then.

I don't think bachelor is bad at all. You can have a ton of fun there. It's just not gnarly steep.

Bachelor is a fun place but I would not recommend/consider it as a true destination resort for high level skiers. Keep in mind Bend is not a super easy place to fly into , if you fly into PDX you'll need to drive about 3-4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Keep in mind Bend is not a super easy place to fly into , if you fly into PDX you'll need to drive about 3-4 hours.
    I wouldn't really say that. There are flights into Redmond from several different airports. And it's a small airport where you can walk out the door and pick up your rental car right there.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I wouldn't really say that. There are flights into Redmond from several different airports. And it's a small airport where you can walk out the door and pick up your rental car right there.
    Yeah. No good directs from PHL to PDX anyway so would connect to Redmond. I agree Bachelor is somewhat off the beaten track for EC trip, but this group wants to do something different than the more common places we've hit a bunch before. Still trying to figure if it's worth the length of time it takes to get to though.

there's plenty of steep terrain
    Not compared to LCC / BCC / Squawlpine, there's not. And it can be a question mark whether Bachelor Summit chair will run on any given day.

and excellent cruising.
    Lots of this for sure ... it's not Northstar / lower Canyons white ribbon groomer zooming, but it's just like the backside of Northstar, except sustained for like 2500+ feet of continuous descending.

I wouldn't really say that. There are flights into Redmond from several different airports.
    Coming from the EC though you're most likely flying through SLC if doing Delta, ironically. But connecting @ SLC / SEA etc isn't really a big deal at all.

Duffman, if you want to check out the PNW and try something different, I'd look at flying to Seattle and planning a Baker trip, staying in Bellingham or Glacier. Mixed skiers but a few who love the gnar will enjoy that place.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell