Page 26 of 84 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Duffman, depending on number in party and ages, consider staying at the Tokyo Starfish Bud&Breakfast.
    https://tokyostarfish.com/pages/bud-n-breakfast
    Two BR apartment, coupons for redemption downstairs, full selection of glass for consumption on-site, next door to several food carts and across the street from a Whole Paycheck knockoff. About 30 min to Mt B west village from there.

You can connect to RDM via DEN or SLC. So, my suggestion would be to to do a stop off at one of those connection cities, do a bit of skiing somewhere nearby depending on your budget. Then hop on a flight to RDM, spend some time skiing Bachelor and sampling the beer varieties in Bend. The hotel rates go up on the Friday/Saturday thing, so take that into acct. You will also get the West Side Oregon folks coming over too. With any luck you will get decent conditions.

Like others have said, it ain't steep, it ain't gnarly, except for the occasional rime ice and wind exposed obstacles that lurk just underneath the ridge lines. And with any luck, it won't erupt while you are skiing.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Coming from the EC though you're most likely flying through SLC if doing Delta, ironically. But connecting @ SLC / SEA etc isn't really a big deal at all.
    Delta has a couple flights from SLC to Redmond direct.

Bachelor is certainly a change of pace if you're used to a ski vacation where you're staying slopeside, or at least close to it. Driving from town to the mountain and back is certainly a negative, but there are also positives in staying in a real city like Bend that has lots to do.

i wish my drive to the mountain and back was bend to bachelor and back.

I saw a dentist in downtown Portland this morning whose bio said he enjoyed cycling and alpine skiing. Didn't quite have the courage to greet him with "Got change for a nickel?" when he came into the exam room...

Thanks for the advice all. Driving to and from mtn isn't a big deal,we do that a bunch since we home base somewhere and hit a bunch of nearby mtns usually. Connecting through SLC and DEN is kind of funny , but I'll be at the Bird w the family in Feb and likely meeting some friends in CO this month, so nothing lost by skipping them this time.

Only thing giving me pause is the Northstar comparison. Been to Tahoe a few times and have avoided that place due to lack of interest in too many groomers and not enough terrain as compared to the other Tahoe mtns. Definitely don't need puckering steeps this trip but some fun interesting terrain would be key

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Bachelor is not pee your pants steep, it's a nice over priced family resort. Other options Smith Rock hiking, ect. You'll like it, I guarantee it.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

we made it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2592.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	263760

It‘s been pretty...cloudy

Name:	D1BCC77B-C301-4846-9CD1-5378EC5CE7A2.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	263762

Name:	84D61150-C2DF-4032-9C2D-D96931A75522.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	263766

TBS, we brought the lucky bastard with us

Name:	5B9AC1C9-0F5D-42F4-8160-346AC0554767.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	263769

No shots of the lady today
    The sun is supposed to pop for the next few days...maybe better shots later

Enjoying some of this right now

Name:	4366C164-3939-491A-8CEE-FCCBB15D8E38.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	750.2 KB 
ID:	263770

looks fantastic, ac!

Enjoy your family ski trip! You've earned it.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

We couldn’t get an intern to do a house sit with him.
    So, he’s skipping school & the dogs get a vacation at Gramma Jewel’s (she is Echo’s breeder) out in Molalla.

It’s nice & quiet here post holiday.
    The whole hill is below treeline so they’ve got the whole thing open, and we’ve been tracking out the remaining pockets of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Hoodoo and sisters are super close too. Really it all depends on the weather but potential for awesome days at Hoodoo. Thrifty Thursdays go through mid-march and they have night skiing too. Way less $ than bachelor in general and super fun terrain (some might say a better concentration of good terrain than Mt. B) . I like to get the Chocolate malt at the Sno Cap for nostalgia . Bachelor has the goods too. It's a whole volcano and it has a ton of good spots. There is no big flashing arrow or map to the best line but you can find fun stuff that goes off the charts. Weather will determine what is best but I've had fun there in all conditions. Since you said volcano you should do some volcano stuff too like try to go into a lava tube and see some obsidian.There is a caldera lake south of town that is super cool.
    Bachelor is my home Mtn. Plenty of good skiing off of the Summit and Northwest lifts. West wall is STEEP but short, upper bowl through the pinnacles is fun as well. When the back side is open, there are tons of options. The whole mtn isn't tough but there are plenty of options that should work nicely for your group. Great tree skiing too.

Plus, Bend is a great town to visit, tons of good food options, and micro-breweries off the chart. Some exceptional rock climbing, fly fishing and mountain biking available too and March can be decent weather wise as well.

Hoodoo is fairly close, has some good terrain but honestly, the runs are very short and I prefer to ski more than I ride the lift.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

I have been skiing at Bachelor this year for the first time and have found it enjoyable for the most part, especially if you get away from the corduroy crowds, which seemed pretty abundant.

I went a few times between Christmas and New Years and expected a shitshow, but it seemed to thin out once you got away from the lodges and beginner terrain. Some of the lifts didn’t even have a line, which was surprising. And once you got far enough out past the last lift it was mostly untracked and I only saw a few people. Not sure if that is normal, but I suspect it has a lot to do with that lower catch line being a slog back to the lift.

Bend itself is nice if you don’t mind a ton of people. We did a cabin rental at the State Park in La Pine and enjoyed that, but that’s probably not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Going Coastal View Post
    I have been skiing at Bachelor this year for the first time and have found it enjoyable for the most part, especially if you get away from the corduroy crowds, which seemed pretty abundant.

I went a few times between Christmas and New Years and expected a shitshow, but it seemed to thin out once you got away from the lodges and beginner terrain. Some of the lifts didn’t even have a line, which was surprising. And once you got far enough out past the last lift it was mostly untracked and I only saw a few people. Not sure if that is normal, but I suspect it has a lot to do with that lower catch line being a slog back to the lift.

Bend itself is nice if you don’t mind a ton of people. We did a cabin rental at the State Park in La Pine and enjoyed that, but that’s probably not for everyone.
    Your experience is the norm - get away from the West Village and Sunrise lodge areas and line are usually very short.

Northwest and Cloud Chaser are rarely busy.

18-19 Orygun, The Thread

Duff...Bend is the Aspen of the PNW and Bach offers lots of groovy cruising and tree skiing. Nothing is steep. So what. No need to whip it out and bang it on the table. Eat a big edible, smile, and let ‘em roll. 🤪 Lots to do around the area, good restaurants, PNWness, and beer and then you can say you’ve been here. $5 says the ladies will love it. Especially if you get a sunny summit pow day.

Or go somewhere else....sallgood brah.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

A look at some NW and Summit terrain on a pow day.Name:  FB_IMG_1547177990416.jpeg
Views: 265
Size:  13.8 KBName:  FB_IMG_1547177781325.jpeg
Views: 269
Size:  21.9 KBName:  FB_IMG_1547177796210.jpeg
Views: 287
Size:  52.3 KB

Groovy trees

Name:	20181227_141647.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	263825

18-19 Orygun, The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Only thing giving me pause is the Northstar comparison.
    As a longtime Kirkwood skier/boarder and someone who has done a small amount of asspuckering riding in the eastern Sierra I will say that Northstar is underrated and my apologies for scaring you.

I specifically said “backside” of Northstar which is sustained, fun, deep, and *abandoned* when cold and deep ... and not everyone knows that so my apologies.

Bachelor is just good clean fun. No shit your pants like some of the tower chutes entrances in low tide at the Bird, but when the weather is good it’s just constant sustained fun. For like 2500 to 3000 feet sustained depending on what’s open. But nothing AltaBird or Squawlpine challenging either. And a lot of the key Bachelor lifts can’t run in crap weather due to it being a shield volcano with mostly detachable quads instead of a glaciated wind-protected ridge with fixed grip chairs on the steep stuff. It’s FUN. Type 1 in good weather. When lifts shut down on weekends, avoid like the plague.

$0.02 from someone who doesn’t have a dog in the fight.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Duff...Bend is the Aspen of the PNW and Bach offers lots of groovy cruising and tree skiing. Nothing is steep. So what. No need to whip it out and bang it on the table. Eat a big edible, smile, and let ‘em roll. �� Lots to do around the area, good restaurants, PNWness, and beer and then you can say you’ve been here. $5 says the ladies will love it. Especially if you get a sunny summit pow day.

Or go somewhere else....sallgood brah.
    Great description. Appreciate the info and pics. Sound like it will work fine w this group. Wife loves the idea of skiing moderate angle pow or corn then hitting a bunch of breweries. Works for me. My dick measuring days are way in the past anyway!

Schralp, been to Tahoe a bunch of times and never made it to N*, like most places, I'm sure there is quality stuff, I just dont know shit about that part of it. Thanks again.

Alpy, luckily for me she doesn't really give a damn about that

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Thanks for the advice all. Driving to and from mtn isn't a big deal
    The views of the mountain on the drive in ain't bad, either.

so gorgeous

18-19 Orygun, The Thread

The odd couple

Hmm, or actually...

Weird ski totem mashup

AC - I see you're experiencing ye olde Big Fog. Enjoy those snow ghosts. Been a while since I skied there; it was still called Big Mountain back then.

As for Bachelor; love me that mountain. Great memories there and some of my favorite tree skiing off Outback and NWX. +1 on the weather holds and 'storm recovery' lift closures.

Send it, have fun, drink beer and be sure to tell everyone back on the east coast that it sucks here. We're full.