Clean vinyl records with vodka

There's all these recipes on the internet for record cleaning fluid, and they all involve isopropyl alcohol, distilled water & liquid soap. I figure vodka was close enough and already premixed- about 1 1/2 oz vodka and a drop of dish soap. Seems to work great! Ethanol and iso evaporate and the same rate so I see no reason why not. Didn't want to have to buy a bunch of distilled water.

Tito’s?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

yeah, I've used cheap vodka and gift vodka as a surface cleaner before.
    Never used it on elpees, will give it a go, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Tito’s?
    as it so happens, yes! Not a vodka guy, keep it around for others (except for cleaning records, anything you'd put vodka in I'd rather have gin or tequila)

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    as it so happens, yes! Not a vodka guy, keep it around for others (except for cleaning records, anything you'd put vodka in I'd rather have gin or tequila)
    ^^^^ This. I've never allowed vodka to pass my lips. Never will.

Vodka also works well for steralizing my camel back.

everclear works better. ime everclear is much nicer to deal with than hardware store iso.

I still have the full discwasher kit with the cleaning solutions for both the needle and albums. Almost exactly like this one but mine has a nice wood stand for all the components.

As for replacement solution.. why waste perfectly good cocktail supplies? Why not just use rubbing alcohol?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Vodka also works well for steralizing my camel back.
    also works great on glasses

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I've never allowed vodka to pass my lips. Never will.
    Seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Seems odd.
    Maybe he just takes it anally.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Maybe he just takes it anally.
    #boofit

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Nah ..... back's too stiff to administer efficiently; eyedrops - 750 mls goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I still have the full discwasher kit with the cleaning solutions for both the needle and albums. Almost exactly like this one but mine has a nice wood stand for all the components.

As for replacement solution.. why waste perfectly good cocktail supplies? Why not just use rubbing alcohol?
    Have to agree. $9.23 for 750ml of rubbing alcohol; $21.50 for 750ml of Alberta Vodka.

Somewhat related, heard a podcast that suggested you should only buy cheap vodka. Unlike most other spirits the quality/taste/value of high end vodka is not much better than the cheapest shit you can find. Drink cheaply my friends.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

If you buy 80 proof vodka it's 40% alcohol. The alcohol in cheap vodka and expensive vodka is the same substance. However the 60% that's not alcohol is different. Flint city water and mountain stream water are both water; which would you rather drink?

if you need a little alcohol for your record cleaning kit using a shot of vodaka from the liquor cabinet might make a lot of sense vs cranking up the SUV to go out and buy a 10$ bottle of rubbing alcohol you won't have any other use for

People claim they can tell the difference between the expensive and the cheap but vodka isn't supposed to taste like anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if you need a little alcohol for your record cleaning kit using a shot of vodaka from the liquor cabinet might make a lot of sense vs cranking up the SUV to go out and buy a 10$ bottle of rubbing alcohol you won't have any other use for

People claim they can tell the difference between the expensive and the cheap but vodka isn't supposed to taste like anything
    'xactly. Was having a record party and ran out of the stuff. Here's one of the common recipes- some have more alcohol to water (up to 50%), but should be mostly distilled water, and 80 proof seems close enough:

12 oz distilled water

2 oz alcohol

2 drops free and clear laundry detergent

Back in the early days of supermarket scanners they weren't so powerful so we used to have to pull them apart to clean the optics with alcohol

The tech support guy told us not to use the 70% drug store alcohol cuz it was cut with oil & water that left a haze on the optics so we had to use this 95% pure alcohol we got from the parts dept, it came in a plastic bottle in a sealed can and that stuff evaporated very quick
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Probably not the crowd to open this conversation with but when I was behind a bar we did a blind vodka tasting and the rye vodka was always superior. You can usually determine the region of origin by viscosity. There are subtle differences between grain vs potato vs fruit mash.
    For my money, Belvedere makes a better vodka soda than Tito's the same way Miller's makes a better gin and tonic than Tanqueray.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    also works great in glasses

fixed it for ya!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Iso alcohol is the best thing out there for removing tree sap from your body, your gear or even your vehicle, if you park under a juicy tree. Good stuff to have around if your evergreens ooze sap all summer long. Instantly dissolves the worst pine tar.

I can tell you that beer doesn't work for shit.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Am I the only one the read that I should be drinking vodka with my clean vinyl records? Christ, what am i supposed to do with this highball now?
    "Can't you see..."