Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post

I can get a deal on BD helio 350's . They only have the narrow break tho... Can these be used without the break?
    Yes they can be used without a brake, Blister confirms it in the comments here: https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...12-majesty-r12

If you want an aftermarket brake that would fit, you could definitely find one somewhere as the heel piece used in the Helio 350 is the same as the ATK Raider, Hagan Core, Moment Voyager, etc.

Before you buy from BD, I'd look into Spyderjon's prices for ATK. I have a Tier 1 pro deal with BD (not sure what the other levels are like) and Spyderjon's prices were similar when you factor in the tax you have to pay with BD, and he has a way better selection. I got really lucky with an industry connection to ATK but otherwise I would have bought from Spyder.

MT. Comforts and Verticals set a very high standard for reliability. I still hoard pairs. I also still have sets running 300+ days.

What is your replacement criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Yes they can be used without a brake, Blister confirms it in the comments here: https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...12-majesty-r12

If you want an aftermarket brake that would fit, you could definitely find one somewhere as the heel piece used in the Helio 350 is the same as the ATK Raider, Hagan Core, Moment Voyager, etc.

Before you buy from BD, I'd look into Spyderjon's prices for ATK. I have a Tier 1 pro deal with BD (not sure what the other levels are like) and Spyderjon's prices were similar when you factor in the tax you have to pay with BD, and he has a way better selection. I got really lucky with an industry connection to ATK but otherwise I would have bought from Spyder.
    Thanks man very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    MT. Comforts and Verticals set a very high standard for reliability. I still hoard pairs. I also still have sets running 300+ days.

What is your replacement criteria?
    Lee,

I have about 250-300 days on my vertical FT 12's. I run the din at 11 and never lock the toes. I have complete confidence in these bindings. My replacement requirement is something with at least 11 din, preferably lighter than what I currently have and something that is durable and reliable.

At this point im looking at G3 ION LT , and a variation of the ATK 12's.

I have considered the dynafit speed radicals or speed 2.0 but dont like that I would need to max out the DIN and still not have the retention that I currently have. The other dynafit offerings seem heavy in the 12 din

I got 2 pair of verts, as a small AZN man I can run em at 7 / 8 unlocked, they don't pre release, never break pretty bullet proof ime,

if i were you I would just keep running the Verts, maybe even look for another lightly used pair cuz if you got 2 pair you have spare, I took a spare vert heel piece with me to japan
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My replacement requirement is something with at least 11 din, preferably lighter than what I currently have and something that is durable and reliable.

The caveat is I'm a 155lb skier light on gear.

I have 80+ days on the Salomon offering. I have 60+ on the Marker alpinist.

Both have not had reliability issues but in that timeline I feel that a binding should be reliable so that's nothing definitive

The Salomon runs to approx 12 RV. The Alpinist runs to 12.

Both have reliable brakes. Both can run without brakes

Both use Dynafit style ski crampons. The Salomon requires a little doohickey so that the crampon doesn't slide out so there's added faff factor.

The Solly lifter is higher than the Alpinist but I rarely use lifters and even the lower Alpinist lifter is fine for me

The Solly retains a heel gap. The Alpinist heel touches the boot so if the tech 2.0 variety. Presumably that Tech 2.0 helps somewhat with pre-release and heel engagement but, for me it's not perceptible

For me, the toe springs in the Solly and Marker are strong enough that I don't have to lock out the toe. That may help somewhat with mitigating avalanche hazard on the uptrack.

Lee,

Thanks for the intel on the 2 bindings you're currently running. The Marker is out for me just cant... I will put the salomon on my radar

Lee,

I have about 250-300 days on my vertical FT 12's. I run the din at 11 and never lock the toes. I have complete confidence in these bindings. My replacement requirement is something with at least 11 din, preferably lighter than what I currently have and something that is durable and reliable.

I have considered the dynafit speed radicals or speed 2.0 but dont like that I would need to max out the DIN and still not have the retention that I currently have. The other dynafit offerings seem heavy in the 12 din
    I had the ft12 and pre released a couple of times, then i sold them.

I used Salomon mtn, and never pre released, toes unlocked.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Lee (or anyone else)—if you choose to go with the leash option for the Alpinist, what’s your preferred leash? I’m trying to optimize for avi safety (breakable fuse somewhere in the system) and something that’ll actually attach to the Alpinist, as there isn’t an easy option. Is the B&D leash the only option?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ATK makes a fused leash. The thing about the ATK leash is that the fuse is a small loop of 1mm cord that's tack welded into a small loop. If you bust it, then you're into a $30 replacement leash, or alternatively fabricating your own fuse. They are light, however.

I just checked the skimo site, and this year, I don't see the small loop, either branded as Helios (Black Diamond) or ATK. It might be worth a call to skimo.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-13-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The other dynafit offerings seem heavy in the 12 din
    You can find deals on the Superlite 2.0s with a 12 DIN fixed release. They're clearing them to make room for the new Superlite 150. Check on Snowinn.com, probably $360 shipped (might be slow shipping though).
    They clock in at 150 grams and have taller risers than the replacement version (not anywhere near as high as what you're though). The force of the stomping required to engage the heel piece always blows my mind. I think brakes are optional on them.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    You can find deals on the Superlite 2.0s with a 12 DIN fixed release. They're clearing them to make room for the new Superlite 150. Check on Snowinn.com, probably $360 shipped (might be slow shipping though).
    They clock in at 150 grams and have taller risers than the replacement version (not anywhere near as high as what you're though). The force of the stomping required to engage the heel piece always blows my mind. I think brakes are optional on them.
    Those are my favorite bindings. They're not right for everyone, but they ski well and only weigh a bit more than a race binding. Lateral release is 6-12. Vertical is fixed 10-12 (U springs are like that). You can add or remove a brake after mounting. The "unofficial flat mode" with the heel piece rotated 90 degrees works great. They use the same toes as some older race bindings. I've seen a few pics of these toes developing cracks around the holes. But these are a very common toe piece with skimo nerds who ski a shit ton of vert, and it isn't a catastrophic failure, just something you should keep and eye on.

One of my three pairs has over a hundred days and is working great. The heel lifters wiggle side-to-side a bit when you grab them, but I can't notice it while skinning and the toe pieces are going strong. I almost sold a newer pair recently to buy some MTN's so I could reuse some holes on a pair of skis. Then I came to my senses and stuck with the lighter binding that would cost me no extra money that had performed flawlessly for me. Best binding Dynafit has ever made. Unfortunately, the new Superlite 150's only come with an 8 DIN U spring. I might stock up now that the old ones are cheap and still for sale.

Another SSL2 fan here. Great binding.

It's probably been said before, but the Salomon MTN bindings work well with Plum crampons. Although, the crampon can still come off the ski if it rotates all the way up, so it's not such a good idea to A-frame your skis on your pack without taking the crampons off first.

Anyway, I really like the MTNs. SSL 2.0s are pretty good too, but I'm worried about cracking the toes, I like brakes, and my heel adjustment plate increased the ramp too much.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I had the ft12 and pre released a couple of times, then i sold them.
    This has just begun to happen for me (100ish days). I cannot figure out what the issue is... Anyone else have this happing on FT12?

I've almost bought the Alpinist 12 a couple times, but the heal riser isn't enough after time spent thinking about it. So much good selection now a days.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    This has just begun to happen for me (100ish days). I cannot figure out what the issue is... Anyone else have this happing on FT12? .
    You have to clear snow from the pin holes and under the springs every single time before you step in, the one time you forget is the time you will get pre-release

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You have to clear snow from the pin holes and under the springs every single time before you step in, the one time you forget is the time you will get pre-release
    You can also force open those toe wings with the right sort of turn on hard snow. This is exacerbated by lateral play in the heel piece which gets worse with age unless you replace the thimble bushings in the heel. Weaker toe spings + play in heel can = prerelease even if you clear the toes.

Another thing to watch for on high miles ft12 is the plastic yoke where the toe wings connect in the middle. I had a cracked one a while back that caused mystery releases with toes locked.

Gravity always wins...

And get limber enough to rip skins without taking off the ski, ensures clean sockets on boots

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    You can also force open those toe wings with the right sort of turn on hard snow. This is exacerbated by lateral play in the heel piece which gets worse with age unless you replace the thimble bushings in the heel. Weaker toe spings + play in heel can = prerelease even if you clear the toes.
    Re thimble bushings. As well as grease it lightly every now and then simply rotate that thimble bushing. I do that once a year with my Dynafits.

I don't see too many people using tech bindings on hard snow

Almost nobody clears a tech binding so just pull that lever up all the way & lock them down

or lock her up if yer a republican

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't see too many people using tech bindings on hard snow
    Then you haven't been looking.

Then you haven't been looking.
    Lol... I bet I ski 30% variable hardpack to variable slush a season... So true.

On my pre-releaeses, it usually happens when I'm trying to slash something or hoping down something steeper. I'm going to check the binders as LeeLau suggested above.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    Lol... I bet I ski 30% variable hardpack to variable slush a season... So true.

On my pre-releaeses, it usually happens when I'm trying to slash something or hoping down something steeper. I'm going to check the binders as LeeLau suggested above.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app
    Dude, you're playing with your life on these bindings if you're skiing something steep. Sell them, get mtn and live to be as old as i am.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Review- BD Helio 180

Solid few days smashing pillows, surfing turns and popping drops. Solid feel! No issues, I did install custom freeride spacer.

Leashes are annoying, uphill mode worked great, climbing heights adequate.

At first it was a little weird as my body was uncoordinated to use such a light set-up, but got use to it and powered through the uphills! Initial thoughts = satisfying!