Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Gotta say, the ATK R12 and Crest 10 look pretty dope. If you're down on the others, those gotta be tops.

How do they differ again? Besides DIN (10 vs 12)?
    I started a dating advice app because I always need advice

Charmed Chat lets you tinder for your friends

Crest has the elastic response system - 8mm spring loaded heel combined with 4mm gap.

I'm not sure about the R12/FR14.

[edit]
    The R12/FR14 also have the elastic response system (https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo.../r12-white-en/). They also have some sort of anti-icing configuration in the toe. It's unclear whether the toe is a monolink (like the Crest) or not.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-18-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I've been thinking of carrying a light set of leashes (for sketchy transitions) with skis that I normally run with brakes.

Tired an fumbly at the top, with a transition where brakes don't do much good, and the weather is crappy - a combination that sets me up for a stupid moment.

The sketchy nature of clicking into my Vipec Blacks got me to thinking about this last year.

Maybe it's just simpler to ditch the brakes on these skis and go with leashes on all of my skis ... or, as you said, go with the belts and braces approach.

... Thom
    Belts and braces approach? Did I miss this in this thread somewhere? What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Belts and braces approach? Did I miss this in this thread somewhere? What is this?
    It's British slang, meaning redundancy. Braces are suspenders. Belts are, well ... belts.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-21-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Looking at a good deal for ATK Crest but it’s got 75 mm brakes. My ski is 96mm, just wondering if anybody with ATk can give me an idea of actual vs stated brake width and how delicate they might be/ how much room I have to play. Normal alpine I would have little trouble bending the shit out of them but with lightweight touring stuff I thought I’d ask. 21mm is quite a bit of bending.

ETA: yay! 200 posts! What, another 1800 and I might lose a bit of my JONGness?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Looking at a good deal for ATK Crest but it’s got 75 mm brakes. My ski is 96mm, just wondering if anybody with ATk can give me an idea of actual vs stated brake width and how delicate they might be/ how much room I have to play. Normal alpine I would have little trouble bending the shit out of them but with lightweight touring stuff I thought I’d ask. 21mm is quite a bit of bending.

ETA: yay! 200 posts! What, another 1800 and I might lose a bit of my JONGness?
    Unlike the others, ATK brakes sizes are pretty spot on. BUT, ATK brakes are also thin, so I guess you can bend them easily. I've successfully bent G3 Ion 85mm brakes for 115mm ski and they worked ok. Anyway, due to how thin ATK brakes are, they won't stop your ski on a slope.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Crest has the elastic response system - 8mm spring loaded heel combined with 4mm gap.

I'm not sure about the R12/FR14.

[edit]
    The R12/FR14 also have the elastic response system (https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo.../r12-white-en/). They also have some sort of anti-icing configuration in the toe. It's unclear whether the toe is a monolink (like the Crest) or not.

... Thom
    Toe is not monolink. No springs in toe, it works very similarly to the Revolution race binding. I have seen those race bindings in use for 4 years or so, work great. https://www.atkbindings.com/wp-conte...ght-blue-3.png

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Unlike the others, ATK brakes sizes are pretty spot on. BUT, ATK brakes are also thin, so I guess you can bend them easily. I've successfully bent G3 Ion 85mm brakes for 115mm ski and they worked ok. Anyway, due to how thin ATK brakes are, they won't stop your ski on a slope.
    You can replace those brakes with a different size: https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...ear-ski-brake/

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I designed some 3D printed stomp blocks a couple years ago, but have since sold the setup. I was skiing a lot on the volcanoes then, and the block also served as a low riser for long sloggy slopes. I put inserts in the ski for easy block removal.

I noticed a more solid feel, even with the Speed Turn heel, which is of course designed to take pins-only forces. The boot just touched the block when clicked in. Probably made the lateral release less safe... shrug. They are probably minimally useful except for the hard-chargers. I liked them enough to run them all the time.
    This is why I'm perplexed by the dynafit... That big freaking gap

I have 1 day on the backland/mtn I've been impressed by the binding for a while, it's so light and simple and basically all metal leading to great durability. My number 1 favorite thing about it though is the way the brakes lock out. The fiddling with brakes on dynafit/G3 etc is just silly. I've had problems getting them back into ski mode after a long tour as well. With the sollys no twisting the tower, no nothing, just flip a lever and you are good to go.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care