Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    If only someone could've seen this coming!

Friend of mine got "Sallied" last week.

His MTNs did not release in a crust-caused fall, and he broke his tibial plateau. Had to be heli-evaced from deep in the mountains near Jasper BC. His love affair with MTNs is most certainly over.

Obviously, no lateral toe release is a known issue with most tech bindings, but think he was surprised he did not come out at all. He certainly expected to.
    Last edited by meter-man; 03-06-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    sproing!

Yeah I’m going to say if you stomp on an ultra light riser in the wrong position you are likely to break it. These 300g bindings are not exactly fragile but do need care. Vibes to the sallied buddy too. Tech has its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Friend of mine got "Sallied" last week.

His MTNs did not release in a crust-caused fall, and he broke his tibial plateau. Had to be heli-evaced from deep in the mountains near Jasper BC. His love affair with MTNs is most certainly over.

Obviously, no lateral toe release is a known issue with most tech bindings, but think he was surprised he did not come out at all. He certainly expected to.
    sucks about the broken bones but at least the binding didn't weigh him down on the weigh up, so what U spring was buddy using and how much did he weigh ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Yeah I’m going to say if you stomp on an ultra light riser in the wrong position you are likely to break it. These 300g bindings are not exactly fragile but do need care. Vibes to the sallied buddy too. Tech has its limits.
    For yars I have been pointing out (somewhat pedantically) that flippy lifters are an engineering abomination, it does not take a rocket scientist to recognise, that bad engineering ... is always just bad
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    If only someone could've seen this coming!
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    sucks about the broken bones but at least the binding didn't weigh him down on the weigh up, so what U spring was buddy using and how much did he weigh ?
    Men's. Weighs 175-180 nekkid, but skiing with 25 lb pack. As another friend said, it was probably at the "dead spot" on the binding, so RV / spring he was using might not have changed much.
    sproing!

Men's. Weighs 175-180 nekkid, but skiing with 25 lb pack. As another friend said, it was probably at the "dead spot" on the binding, so RV / spring he was using might not have changed much.
    so did your friend get “sallied” or did he get “tech-bindinged”

can you tell the difference?

would he have released from a dynafit, an atk, a g3?
    was he fucked no matter what?

I have no idea, dont own salomons. Just curious what leads you to believe its a salomon specific issue

Another advantage of sub-300 gram bindings. Since they weigh less the heli can fly you faster to the hospital.
    at least the binding didn't weigh him down on the weigh up
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

For yars I have been pointing out (somewhat pedantically) that flippy lifters are an engineering abomination, it does not take a rocket scientist to recognise, that bad engineering ... is always just bad
    I think it depends on the design.

Solid:

Will break:

IMVHO, that Dynafit flipper is a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

weigh faster eh

But seriously when it comes to tech bindings people talk about weight first/foremost then maybe price and whether or not its likely to break (guarrantied)

they never talk about safety

yes one flippy lifter is supported and the other (most flippy designs) are not

what do you need the extra riser for anyway

(I also read an awful lot of musings about tech toe elasticity/release, tech binding release tests in machines, how the Shift is the only acceptable choice for "everyday touring" due to its supposedly superior release characteristics, etc... at least on TGR I think the ultralight people are the minority)

fwiw I absolutely loathed the Speed Radical heels. I'm like 150lbs soaking wet and every step on the low (more supported) riser and I could feel the thing flex and bend, I was always afraid it would snap right off. It's heavier than a speed turn, with no extra features except that you can't easily rotate it with your pole, and exploding risers which I guess might count as a feature. I also always had snow building up under the boot heel preventing the for-some-reason-not-circular tower base from easily rotating unless I poked the snow away with a ski pole.

shit bindings if you ask me.

The other question/issue is skiing with locked toes. I know several people who always lock their toes because they don't "trust" pin bindings to not release. Granted, it's oftentimes body weight dependent but for me at least it's rarely necessary to lock the toe, even on the uphill.

And, MTN flippy lifters are the best. The old pole tower twist routine is a slow PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    so did your friend get “sallied” or did he get “tech-bindinged”

can you tell the difference?

would he have released from a dynafit, an atk, a g3?
    was he fucked no matter what?

I have no idea, dont own salomons. Just curious what leads you to believe its a salomon specific issue
    I too have no idea. Probably impossible to say with certainty. As noted, it might just have been a dead spot issue. Wild Snow did a great article on this awhile ago, and can't remember if it has been posted here. "Ripping Ligaments & Snapping Bones — Tech Binding Release Testing" https://www.wildsnow.com/15123/tech-...cl-broken-leg/

Looking forward to when we get a 300g tech binder with lateral toe release like the Vipec.
    sproing!

Looking forward to when we get a 300g tech binder with lateral toe release like the Vipec.
    This. As you know, I'm somewhat sensitive to tib-fib fractures from binding non-release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I too have no idea. Probably impossible to say with certainty. As noted, it might just have been a dead spot issue. Wild Snow did a great article on this awhile ago, and can't remember if it has been posted here. "Ripping Ligaments & Snapping Bones — Tech Binding Release Testing" https://www.wildsnow.com/15123/tech-...cl-broken-leg/

Well ... there's always the Vipec until then ;-) I still go back and forth on this one - at least for my light skis.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The other question/issue is skiing with locked toes. I know several people who always lock their toes because they don't "trust" pin bindings to not release. Granted, it's oftentimes body weight dependent but for me at least it's rarely necessary to lock the toe, even on the uphill.

And, MTN flippy lifters are the best. The old pole tower twist routine is a slow PIA.

Failing to clear the pins and springs even once and the ski is very likely to fall off so after what some people term a pre release they just lock the toes.

this ^^ became most apparent to me using a light tech ski to set up B-nets for a race in a snow storm, I wanted the light weight for walking around but what happened was I couldn't/didnt always clear the pins or springs cuz I was carrying stuff so the skis fell off repeatedly

IME TECH bindings suck to work in

I do lock toes for the up because the heel piece is not there to hold the boot straight with the toes in the pins so the pins are going to release, that IS how they are suposed to work

As pointed out flippy lifters are a solution to a problem that didn't exist before the RAD1, every one of them out there is a ticking time bomb
    whereas the Verts and Comforts did NOT break as long as the skier didnt try to use the pole as a lever instead of something to Rotate the heelpiece but even if a tower did break the heelpiece didn't explode

I do lock toes for the up because the heel piece is not there to hold the boot straight with the toes in the pins so the pins are going to release, that IS how they are suposed to work

As pointed out flippy lifters are a solution to a problem that didn't exist before the RAD1, every one of them out there is a ticking time bomb
    whereas the Verts and Comforts did NOT break as long as the skier didnt try to use the pole as a lever instead of something to Rotate the heelpiece but even if a tower did break the heelpiece didn't explode
    I should qualify my statement by mentioning that I'm talking exclusively about the Atomic/Salomon Backland/MTN binding, which I bought three years ago after a Dynafit Rad heel exploded while skiing downhill.

In addition to not failing at the worst possible time, and unlike Dynafit bindings, the Backland/MTN binding has enough toe strength to not require an uphill lockout. Most have probably forgotten to unlock their toes from time-to-time for the downhill. With the Backland/MTN it's not an issue. I can still pop out of the binding unlocked in tour mode if I carelessly stomp on the ski but otherwise it's never a problem. You also get reliable flippy lifters.

I just mounted a set of Plum Oazo bindings and I'm hoping for similar reliability/benefits in an even weight weenie-er package.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    I should qualify my statement by mentioning that I'm talking exclusively about the Atomic/Salomon Backland/MTN binding, which I bought three years ago after a Dynafit Rad heel exploded while skiing downhill.

In addition to not failing at the worst possible time, and unlike Dynafit bindings, the Backland/MTN binding has enough toe strength to not require an uphill lockout. Most have probably forgotten to unlock their toes from time-to-time for the downhill. With the Backland/MTN it's not an issue. I can still pop out of the binding unlocked in tour mode if I carelessly stomp on the ski but otherwise it's never a problem. You also get reliable flippy lifters.
    Same for the G3 Zed toes. I skin unlocked and have only popped out once in an understandable situation/terrain.
    You guys probably know this, but be careful skinning locked in avalanche terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Same for the G3 Zed toes
    Hafjell, are you still skiing on Zeds? Just curious as I thought I remember you getting them warrantied/replaced with Ion LTs after yours failed so spectacularly.

I've also been wondering if there's any issues popping up regularly with production Zeds now that they've been out in the field for several months? I'm on ~20 days with them -- no issues and quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpringle View Post
    Hafjell, are you still skiing on Zeds? Just curious as I thought I remember you getting them warrantied/replaced with Ion LTs after yours failed so spectacularly.

I've also been wondering if there's any issues popping up regularly with production Zeds now that they've been out in the field for several months? I'm on ~20 days with them -- no issues and quite happy.
    I am on day 32 with mine, no issues here either. Probably 10 resort and the rest touring.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I’ve got some extra Tecton toes...could
    I pair those with a xenic heel and get a ~400 g binding with a more alpine like toe?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I’ve got some extra Tecton toes...could
    I pair those with a xenic heel and get a ~400 g binding with a more alpine like toe?
    You also get something that releases laterally at the toe and the heel. IIRC, wildsnow experimented with that a while back and didn't have good results.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpringle View Post

Toes only. I got spooked by the heels and now ski with AT toes only and no heels. If the heels aren’t mounted, they can’t fail. I did mount the stomp pad to keep corporate and the mags happy.