Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Oh, so with brakes/stopper on, these do not have a functional flat walk mode?

That's a bummer. Thanks for chiming in with the review, though!

Does anyone use 3, let alone 5 walk modes? Flat and high seem perfectly adequate for my endeavors (although it’s not very high on Alpinists).

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Does anyone use 3, let alone 5 walk modes? Flat and high seem perfectly adequate for my endeavors (although it’s not very high on Alpinists).
    Not really. But the 5 gives you 3 full range including flat without rotating the heel to shift between.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    This is my experience. Additionally, I love the simplicity of having just three modes: flat, ski, and high. I hate reaching down and fiddling with my binding.

Flat mode is important to me. It's noticeable on flat ground and shallow approaches. If I'm walking on flat or shallow slope for more than 5 minutes, then I like having a flat mode. For anything shorter, I'll stick it in climb from the parking lot - like I said, I don't like fiddling with my binding.

Mountain Relish, a key selling point of the Vario is supposed to be its elasticity in both the heel and toe piece. Can you comment on this point? You said it feels smooth, but I'm wondering if you have more thoughts. I have ATK Trofeos on my skis right now, so very interested in that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Relish View Post
    I have had about 10 days on my Ski Trab Vario 2 now. About half have been touring, and half have been in the resort (because they were the most suitable setup for the work I was doing, not because that is what I bought them for). For context I am 193cm tall and about 80kg, and I am a fully qualified ski instructor, so I am technically solid, but I am certainly not trying to break any speed records. They are mounted on a pair of Volkl 90eight skis, and I have the 9-11 version.

I will try and cover everything here, but if you have any questions please ask and I will do my best to help.

So one thing I found is that the jig is not as common as most, and I could not find a paper template. In the end I read lots of stuff, and went for it at home. After lots of measuring and remeasuring it all went ok, and my first jig free mount was a success.

Clipping in is not as easy as an alpine binding obviously, but personally I have found it much more simple and intuitive than a standard pin bindings. Part of this is because my boots are very worn at the toe, and my previous pin bindings (ATK Freeraider 14 2.0) were very hard to trigger successfully. I have not had to do it in any situations with serious consequences, but I still think that I personally would take it every time over a standard pin binding, though clearly this is very subjective.

Last season I started using an ATK Trofeo quite a lot, and so I got to really like just flipping over the raiser without rotating the heal piece, and just using that height no matter what, so I was happy to accept the no flat mode of the Ski Trab (when it has the stopper fitted). I know that this might be an issue for some, but I have found it fine, though it is a shame that the only other hight is not a bit higher, so that it covers a bigger range (I also miss the magnetic system on the ATK, which is fantastic). I think that if people do not have a boot with a decent ROM, or if they have mobility issues with their ankles, they might find that the limited riser range could cause problems.

The stopper is certainly a bit weak, but then I have never heard somebody say that the stopper is a strength of these types of bindings. The arms seem to slope back quite a lot, and so they do not have much extension below the base of the ski. They work fine for clipping in when things are very straight forward, but I would be careful relying on them if I was on any kind of slope and the snow was compacted, and I certainly would not expect them to stop a runaway ski in most conditions.

Touring they are great (heal raiser limitations aside), but then they are that great combination of super light and super simple.

Downhill they feel really amazing for the weight. I am unable to compare them like for like with the ATK as they are on a much more solid ski, but based on my experiences I really am blown away by how solid they feel (especially given how terrible some of the snow I have skied on them has been). The first pin binding I had was the Dynafit TLT Radical FT, which was on a pretty solid ski, but the downhill performance of the Ski Trab is so much nicer. A lot of that is the fact that the ramp angle is nowhere near as dramatic, so it feels more balanced, but it also just feels smoother.

Obviously after 10 days I cannot comment on durability. There are a couple of plastic pieces (the toe lock lever, and the brake lock piece) that I would not want to treat carelessly, but then it is a 300g binding so it is not designed to be abused. Yesterday I was out touring with some people, and everything was getting iced up due to the conditions, but with the simple design the Ski Trab was a lot less iced up, and also very simple to clear.

At this stage I am absolutely over the moon with my purchase. The combination of weight, simplicity, and performance is fantastic, and for what I need I would not think of any other option if I needed to buy another pin binding tomorrow. The problem will be for those people who want something for long flats (though just getting some without the stopper would solve this I think), or for anybody with limited ankle mobility who relies of having high risers. As I say I love the clip in, but again that might be a deal breaker for some, but otherwise I think that it is a really fantastic option.
    Interesting, my MTNs are also 300 g, but I'm never afraid of breaking anything, they are pretty solid.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Interesting, my MTNs are also 300 g, but I'm never afraid of breaking anything, they are pretty solid.

Rod commenting about MTNs is the 2018-2021 version of "What ski?" "Praxis RX"

"My Pivots are great." Rod: "MTNs R better"

"Shifts suck!" Rod: "Shoulda bought MTNs. Love mine."

"Telemark boots are so sad and based on 14 year old molds." Rod: "Funny, no problem with my MTNs. Try those."

"Trump is a terrible human." Rod: "He should be on MTNs. If he were on MTNs, he'd be a shining beacon of righteousness."

Sorry, Rod, but it is too damn funny lol
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Very unique, I did not know about this binding. It looks like there is no flat touring mode?

I am loving my Moment Voyagers, but they are probably not as safe as Tectons yeah? AFAIK the only thing unique about the Raider / Voyager is the freeride spacer? There's nothing special about the toe and heel is just lateral + vertical on a spring (same as G3 Ion I believe).
    The toe is also built up higher on the Voyagers than a typical ATK, which reduces the ramp angle.

Had one pre-release on my Voyagers (guessing it was ice in my toe sockets / user error), and it's taken me a while to trust them again.

Tectons I found to be faultless. You just need to be careful locking the brakes into place (use your hands - no gorilla stomping).
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

"Telemark boots are so sad and based on 14 year old molds." Rod: "Funny, no problem with my MTNs. Try those."

"Trump is a terrible human." Rod: "He should be on MTNs. If he were on MTNs, he'd be a shining beacon of righteousness."

Funny indeed.

I just don't like the idea of implementation of shifts.

I know they sold a whole bunch, so obviously I'm in a minority here.

I completely agree with that 3 heights is perfect, but for what I do I can cope with 1, but I would like 2. With the Vario it is 2 heights, but there is not a big difference between the 2. As I say it works for me, but it is a limitation.

NWFlow - Sorry no flat mode with the brakes on. It is not as high as a race binding, but it is certainly not flat.

CirqueScaler - It is really hard to compare the 2 pairs of ATKs I have had to these, as the ATKs have been on lighter skis, but I have been able to ski way harder on this setup than on either of the ATK set ups, and with far more confidence. I love my Trofeos for what they are, but I have had them release while locked out, and I would not personally trust them in high risk situations. So far the Ski Trabs have been very confidence inspiring, despite the fact that some of the snow that I have been skiing on them has been absolutely awful. The previous binding I had on these skis was a Salomon Warden, and the Ski Trab is obviously not as damp as that, but it is a lot closer than it has any right to be. I am sorry that this is not a more direct answer to your question, but hopefully it helps a bit.
    Last edited by Mountain Relish; 03-11-2021 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

The toe is also built up higher on the Voyagers than a typical ATK, which reduces the ramp angle.

Had one pre-release on my Voyagers (guessing it was ice in my toe sockets / user error), and it's taken me a while to trust them again.

Tectons I found to be faultless. You just need to be careful locking the brakes into place (use your hands - no gorilla stomping).
    Tectons are also 150g heavier though.

As for the Ski Trab Vario - even with the brakes off I don't see how there is a flat mode?

Tectons are also 150g heavier though.

As for the Ski Trab Vario - even with the brakes off I don't see how there is a flat mode?
    The heelpiece turns 90 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The heelpiece turns 90 degrees
    I thought turning the heelpiece gives you the high riser mode...

See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGqOUGxSOTA around 4:25ish

As I see it, with the brake you have low-riser, mid-riser in the normal position and high riser by flipping the heel piece.

Without the brake you have mid-riser and high-riser by flipping the heel piece.

Praxis Rx
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The heel can be turned 180 degrees for hi rise and 90 degrees for flat, at least thats what skimo told me

I thought turning the heelpiece gives you the high riser mode...

See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGqOUGxSOTA around 4:25ish

As I see it, with the brake you have low-riser, mid-riser in the normal position and high riser by flipping the heel piece.

Without the brake you have mid-riser and high-riser by flipping the heel piece.
    Imagine what this would look like without the brake:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vario90deg.PNG 
Views:	133 
Size:	721.3 KB 
ID:	366879
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Imagine what this would look like without the brake:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vario90deg.PNG 
Views:	133 
Size:	721.3 KB 
ID:	366879
    I feel dumb now, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The heel can be turned 180 degrees for hi rise and 90 degrees for flat, at least thats what skimo told me
    I feel dumb now, of course.

I have to say I enjoy with the ATK and MTN (have both) that you just turn the heel 180 and you've got flat, mid, high. No fiddling with turning the heel on the skintrack. I also like that you can leave the heel as is and get mid, high with no turning if the terrain warrants.

I run the Trab without brakes. I only tour with flat mode. I never use risers. Mostly because I am not some pussy like Joe Strummer (VIBES++++)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Relish View Post
    ...The previous binding I had on these skis was a Salomon Warden, and the Ski Trab is obviously not as damp as that, but it is a lot closer than it has any right to be. I am sorry that this is not a more direct answer to your question, but hopefully it helps a bit.
    Actually I found this to be a very good answer. thanks a lot.

I’m currently in the market for a binding in this weight class. Ranked performance criteria are: reliability, touring ease and ski performance. I keep coming back to the Plum Pika as checking these boxes, as it is based on a simple and proven design, has a single heel lift that is accessible with a pole from flat mode and has stiff toe springs and a reasonable ramp angle. Salomon MTN is the closest alternative, but reports of sloppy lifters and play in the heel don’t inspire long term confidence. Ski Trab Vario 2 is interesting, but hasn’t been around for all that long. ATK is of course a thought too, but brakes and elastic travel are moving pieces that are subject to icing/not working sometimes. Im in Canada too, so ATK is more difficult to source than others. I’m not really interested in going to a race style heel due to lack of ramp/flat touring modes. What does the collective say? Am I missing something with the Pika, or is it the Speed Rad that Dynafit should have made? Is the Ski Trab toe good enough to accept somewhat unknown heel piece reliability and some heel rise compromise? Should I just follow the TGR train to the nearest ATK dealer? I’m interested in hearing anyone’s thoughts/experiences on these or other options. Thanks!

I'm also super curious about the Trabs. I have always been on ATK bindings but just came into a pair of Vario.2 7-9. Without brakes or mounting screws they are 245g which puts them heavier than the Crest 10(230g without brakes). To me this is a bit of a conundrum, as they both have elastic travel, but the Trab doesn't have adjustable release(I fine tune my Crest where 7 RV I prerelease and 8 I don't, I am assuming that the Trab will be on the higher end of the stated range, so I should stay in the bindings, but maybe a bit more than I need to?) and the Trab may have a better toe design.

My biggest question is what does the Trab have to justify the extra weight, especially without adjustable RV. Does it ski better than a Crest?

I personally skip the 300g category and go to the sub 200g category.

I've been extremely happy running dynafit ultralight or speed radical alu toes, with a kreuspitze SCTT or Plum heel piece on a Kreuspitze heel adjustment plate, that allows pattern matching to dynafit speed radical.

Easy, bomber, simple, featherweight.

Reformed: elastic travel is not really a problem with icing up, etc. and is a nice thing to have. If you don't want brakes, remove them, or buy w/o.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have two pairs of mtns and they have been bomber, 80 days on each

rod is def. a mtn fanboi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk