Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    So I'm working on upgrading to a lighter set up in anticipation of a hut to hut trip in the Alps this spring. So far have picked up some zero g 95s. I have some extra vipecs I could mount on them but thinking of maybe selling those and going with something lighter. ATK crests/Hagan pure seem like a good all around compromise and the price isn't totally insane. Anyone have any specific issues with these now that they've been around for a little while? Or any features you hate?

The new FR14 also looks sweet but I don't think I really need the higher DIN (or price tag).

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    why on gods green earth would anyone buy an alpinest pos and need to buy anothers brands part to make it better
    fuckin marker sucks if they work better with a "freeride spacer"
    why wouldn't they include it?
    oh wait
    marker sucks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    So I'm working on upgrading to a lighter set up in anticipation of a hut to hut trip in the Alps this spring. So far have picked up some zero g 95s. I have some extra vipecs I could mount on them but thinking of maybe selling those and going with something lighter. ATK crests/Hagan pure seem like a good all around compromise and the price isn't totally insane. Anyone have any specific issues with these now that they've been around for a little while? Or any features you hate?

The new FR14 also looks sweet but I don't think I really need the higher DIN (or price tag).

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    A member of another french ski forum has been using them without issues for a while, and another member got some for his wife and no problem either.
    You can also take the new R12 if you don't need the 14 DIN.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    why on gods green earth would anyone buy an alpinest pos and need to buy anothers brands part to make it better
    oh wait
    marker sucks
    You don’t...
    Alpinist skis and works great without the silly freeride spacer. Wouldn’t buy a KingPin but pretty happy with the Alpinist.

oh wait
    marker sucks
    Remember when people used to put Raichle race tongues on pick-a-shitty-AT-boot-from-15-years-ago
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Remember when people used to put Raichle race tongues on pick-a-shitty-AT-boot-from-15-years-ago
    ATK Freeride spacer will make any tech binding heel ski better, more like a kingpin. Watch out for ice on the sole while lift-served and ski-on-off with gondolas.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    You don’t...
    Alpinist skis and works great without the silly freeride spacer. Wouldn’t buy a KingPin but pretty happy with the Alpinist.
    Yeah they sure do. And they were available for a little over $200 last year vs $500 for the ATK’s. I still interested to try the spacer.

Looking at a pair of FR14’s though....

oh wait
    marker sucks
    The Alpinist is a POS? I have only seen positive reviews.

I think the point is that all tech bindings that do not have underfoot boot support in ski mode would ski better with a freeride spacer. Not just Alpinists. It's just that I have Alpinists....which I got for $200 (as CaliBrit notes) to replace my Kingpins.

The Kingpins have been the best BC binding I've ever used. I've never had a prerelease or unintended release, tours amazing, everything works great. The heel skis so well too. But they are heavy, I wanted to try something ultralight on my pow boards, and the boards are already swiss-cheese. Alpinists can reuse almost all of the KP holes - just need to drill two new ones. I will run the Alpinists first before getting the spacer - I was just curious if others had used them. (I do agree that anything Marker is generally suspect...but I think the same about Salomon, soo.....)

I love God's green earth too, but I prefer God's white earth. And during summer, her brown earth. Green is okay too I guess. But usually the green goes in a bowl - thanks God for the green!
    sproing!

First time I’ve heard of the freeride spacer. Very cool.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i dont have faith in marker products based on 2 decades of teching and seeing the fail to often
    the atk and gear i trust is worth every extra cent to me 2x in the bc
    i skied 200+ days on the og atk fr14 without the spacer
    prob 100 on the new
    same ski
    i cant tell a difference
    but im not a real techy tech i just ski fairly hard and greened and dont do or read blister fart sniffer reviews
    they the og version are still functionable but the black pin on the toe wing assembly is pushing out
    with epoxy i bet they would be fine
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Cross post in GS, but if anyone is interested I’ve got a pair of ATK Crest 10 with 96 brakes new in box for sale. Thinking $330 shipped. I ordered a second pair after this set for stuck in customs for over a month, they finally showed up.

First day out yesterday on new setup.

ATK Crest 10 running brakeless
    BC Camox Freebird 183

Snow was probably 60cm of new unconsolidated on top of the base. The bindings are amazing. Great on the uphill, the flat mode worked perfectly, barely any running between heel and binding when breaking trail. Downhill they totally disappear and ski really well. Last lap was refrozen breakable sun crust and the binders were very confidence inspiring. Risers work great. Transitions were super easy the turrets turn well by hand but don’t turn on your way up.

Definitely a big fan of ATK.

The 300g Touring Binding Thread

For people with Market Alpinists what leashes are you using? Are you just using the Alpinist Leashes?

Edit: can someone share a link to a paper template?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    For people with Market Alpinists what leashes are you using? Are you just using the Alpinist Leashes?

Edit: can someone share a link to a paper template?
    B&D leash. Very good. You can use a kingpin with some fiddle. Haven’t seen an alpinist one.

See my notes in the binding template thread.

Alpinist template: I haven't used it, but I found this in another thread
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B76...49tLcslHA/view

Has anyone been on the Plum Oazo? Looks nice, only 210g and +4mm delta.

Thanks Craven and Cali!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Has anyone been on the Plum Oazo? Looks nice, only 210g and +4mm delta.
    I have about 5 days on them and love them. I was on the fence about the non-adjustable vertical release of 8 since I usually ski all my bindings between 8 and 9 but after charging hard in weird snow and hucking a few small rocks I forgot all about it and have not had issues.
    The toes feel super solid and clamp on the boots in a very confidence-inspiring manner. I have a minor gripe about the difficulty of rotating the heel (super stiff spring) but since I spend 90% of my time on the low riser it's not really an issue. Coming from a Speed Turn 2.0 and boots with a lot of forward lean I had no issues adjusting to the small delta and more upright boots.

I got some ATK Freeride spacers, hoping to put them on a Ramblin Jack/Salomon mtn/tlt6 combo. There’s not enough clearance between topsheet and bootsole, humph.
    I’m debating grinding my heel rubber down, grinding the underside of the spacer, or returning/reselling. Anyone else work through this?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I have about 5 days on them and love them. I was on the fence about the non-adjustable vertical release of 8 since I usually ski all my bindings between 8 and 9 but after charging hard in weird snow and hucking a few small rocks I forgot all about it and have not had issues.
    The toes feel super solid and clamp on the boots in a very confidence-inspiring manner. I have a minor gripe about the difficulty of rotating the heel (super stiff spring) but since I spend 90% of my time on the low riser it's not really an issue. Coming from a Speed Turn 2.0 and boots with a lot of forward lean I had no issues adjusting to the small delta and more upright boots.
    all the Plums are absurdly difficult to rotate fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I got some ATK Freeride spacers, hoping to put them on a Ramblin Jack/Salomon mtn/tlt6 combo. There’s not enough clearance between topsheet and bootsole, humph.
    I’m debating grinding my heel rubber down, grinding the underside of the spacer, or returning/reselling. Anyone else work through this?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    3D print a spacer block

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    3D print a spacer block
    That wouldn't be the same. The freeride spacer has a sliding AFD.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    all the Plums are absurdly difficult to rotate fwiw
    Other than the Guide (which rotates easily)?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^ yeah sorry I mean the more “race” oriented heels

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    That wouldn't be the same. The freeride spacer has a sliding AFD.
    You're right.

But if the height-adjusting housing of the ATK unit can't click low enough to accept the boot, perhaps a printed version could be made to work with some thinner sliding AFD (like from a toepiece)... or with a custom upper platform.

/overkill