Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1148
  1. #1076
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    What are people's thoughts on Trab toe and Haute Route heel for a wider pow setup (120+)? Is the heel mounting pattern too narrow and I should upsize to the Raider heel or is it all gravy? I'm only 5'8, 150 so thinking the HR heel should be enough.
    @cydwhit is running this and i think he likes it. If you donít need the release above 10,i donít see why not. I think the delta is very flat though


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #1077
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    What are people's thoughts on Trab toe and Haute Route heel for a wider pow setup (120+)? Is the heel mounting pattern too narrow and I should upsize to the Raider heel or is it all gravy? I'm only 5'8, 150 so thinking the HR heel should be enough.
    You can also get slightly wider mount pattern heel plates from trab that will fit the HR

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #1078
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    224
    Got it, thanks.

    I went through Cy's posts, and the setup looks great. Only thing is I want to put in a spacer (homemade or ATK universal) but don't want another hole in the ski... I won't have this issue with Raiders or another heel I guess.

  4. #1079
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    224
    May go another direction with my powder setup but want to see if I'm able to sell my Trab toes first (Titan Vario 2, black/silver). Any interest for a pair of lightly used ones (skied 3 times)? Would $150 shipped be fair?

  5. #1080
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    May go another direction with my powder setup but want to see if I'm able to sell my Trab toes first (Titan Vario 2, black/silver). Any interest for a pair of lightly used ones (skied 3 times)? Would $150 shipped be fair?
    Dibs pm sent

  6. #1081
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    224
    Sold to CaliBrit!

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Dibs pm sent

  7. #1082
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    753
    Shit great deal

  8. #1083
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Eurozone
    Posts
    2,721
    Am into getting back to more serious touring/mountaineering again and looking into a new lightweight tech binding for a light ski. After reading thru some stuff here and elsewhere I have narrowed it down to 2 bindings which seem plenty proven, least controversial with no major weakness and not much compromising features:

    - Marker Alpinist 12
    - Salomon MTN Pure

    A bonus on the Marker seems the flat ramp angle, not sure how much that is on the MTN. Any pros and cons from experienced users on the one or the other before puling the trigger?

    Thanks a bunch folks for your actual insight.
    Last edited by Hicks; 03-28-2023 at 09:23 AM.

  9. #1084
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    4,352
    The disadvantage of the alpinist is that the risers do not go high enough for steep skinning.
    The mtn is great, and you will never pre release, the toe springs are very strong

    Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

  10. #1085
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Am into getting back to more serious touring/mountaineering again and looking into a new lightweight tech binding for a light ski. After reading thru some stuff here and elsewhere I have narrowed it down to 2 bindings which seem plenty proven, least controversial with no major weakness and not much compromising features:

    - Marker Alpinist 12
    - Salomin MTN Pure

    A bonus on the Marker seems the flat ramp angle, not sure how much that is on the MTN. Any pros and cons from experienced users on the one or the other before puling the trigger?

    Thanks a bunch folks for your actual insight.
    Two things that turned me off Markers:
    1. Too flat ramp, I consistently found myself on my heels and couldn't drive the skis the way I used to. Again, many folks prefer this delta.
    2. Limited risers height. This one is quite individual and you might feel ok on longer and not so steep trails.

    Went with ATK FR14 and I doubt that will ever want to use anything else.

    Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

  11. #1086
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    210
    Both are good. I found the marker to ski better, more damp, and liked having adjustability of the lateral release. As my preferred RV was between the salomon expert and menís springs. You can also get the marker for cheaper. The main downside is if you canít get along with a lower riser height. If you want brakes the marker ones have much worse stopping power that the salomon. While I was skeptical of the durability of the markers plastic bits, I have one pair Iíve absolutely abused in the BC, no lifts, and are still going strong.

    The Salomonís have a good flat mode if you go brake less. The clamp force of the toes is strong and I felt like it inspired more confidence in sketchy firm skinning. The functionality of the heel risers is better that the markers but the binding was a little more harsh feeling on bumpy firm snow.

    Iíve had to tighten the screws on the heel towers for both after a fair amount of use but that was easy enough to do on a workbench and only a mild pain to do in the field provided you have the correct screwdriver. Moderate advantage to the maker binding in the ease of doing this.

  12. #1087
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,138
    The Alpinist will ski better and will probably be safer because of the gapless heel and composite toe, but the various plastic parts in the heel are known to break occasionally. The MTN is proven but I don't think it provides any value over a skimo race binding besides offering an additional riser and an option for a very robust brake.

  13. #1088
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whitefish
    Posts
    1,188

    The 300g Touring Binding Thread

    Atk Kular LT for $230 from TP.

    The MTN tower will wobble and the risers with move when you donít want to

    The marker alpinist flap and tower will move while skinning and eventually leave you in flat mode or clicking into your pins while trying to skin

  14. #1089
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Eurozone
    Posts
    2,721
    Thanks for the quick feedback guys, much appreciated. To explain the binding will be slapped on a fairly skinny ski for mountaineering and (multi day) hut trips involving less aggro skiing, for winter day touring I got a beefier setup already.

    - Heel riser: that could indeed become an issue if too limited (especially with a heavier backpack)
    - Brake: a good one could be useful in case I eat shit in remote back country on not so flat slopes
    - Skiing performance: if the MTN just feels a tad harsher I think I could live with that given moderate speeds

    - Release: how safe or reliable is the MTN here compared to the Alpinist? I know both don't really compare to a Tectron or a frame binding, but my bones are old now...

    Thanks again, also for eventually adding another suitable one to the list I might have overlooked.

    Edit: just noticed Kevino's post.

  15. #1090
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    15,151
    Ill 2nd the kular. Light, ez to flip the heel around for changeovers, light, skis well with the 4mm gap and added spring for heel elasticity. Good deal at alpinstore for these little elegant beauties. Durability remains to be seen but theyre working well. I added a diy 5mm toe riser

    Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

  16. #1091
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,276
    I have about 60 days on the Trab Vario 2. They ski way better than I thought they would. The heels are starting to develop a bit of vertical slack between the turret and adjustment track. I did not hold back skiing them. Hero snow pillow drops, re-frozen steeps, exit trail jibbing. I did ski a few hard resort days with them. I know, stupid, but it was on an unplanned trip. Does anyone else have the same slack? Would the ATK spacer would be a good addition?

  17. #1092
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I have about 60 days on the Trab Vario 2. They ski way better than I thought they would. The heels are starting to develop a bit of vertical slack between the turret and adjustment track. I did not hold back skiing them. Hero snow pillow drops, re-frozen steeps, exit trail jibbing. I did ski a few hard resort days with them. I know, stupid, but it was on an unplanned trip. Does anyone else have the same slack? Would the ATK spacer would be a good addition?
    The spacer might help, but you might need new heels if thereís a wiggle

  18. #1093
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,138
    The play could potentially be from the heel track rather than the turret itself, which would be a simple replacement.

  19. #1094
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,276
    The play is between turret plate and track. The track seems to be flush with the ski, no volcanoes or anything like that. Is everyone else's heel tight?

    I was always a bit wary of the plastic track on light bindings. CNCd aluminum track would be cool. If not stronger at least it can be anodized for that extra lift line steeze.

  20. #1095
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    62
    Curious if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Salomon Summit 12.

    Is it replacing the MTN or just another addition to the lineup?

    Was planning on getting the MTNs to use over the spring/summer.

  21. #1096
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    13,570
    Quote Originally Posted by tupp_ View Post
    Curious if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Salomon Summit 12.

    Is it replacing the MTN or just another addition to the lineup?

    Was planning on getting the MTNs to use over the spring/summer.
    It's just another addition. It's on a Salomon 106 Echo for a review. Performs as well as the MTN therefore It's good

  22. #1097
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    62
    That's good to hear, in the case I get the OG MTN! Interesting from a product perspective, given they are in the same weight category.

    Any reason to wait for the Summit that you have heard/seen? Going brakeless w/ an ATK spacer.

  23. #1098
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    13,570
    Quote Originally Posted by tupp_ View Post
    That's good to hear, in the case I get the OG MTN! Interesting from a product perspective, given they are in the same weight category.

    Any reason to wait for the Summit that you have heard/seen? Going brakeless w/ an ATK spacer.
    I'd say only if you need the 50mm bsl adjustment vs 30mm. Otherwise it's a tie.

  24. #1099
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by tupp_ View Post
    Curious if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Salomon Summit 12.

    Is it replacing the MTN or just another addition to the lineup?

    Was planning on getting the MTNs to use over the spring/summer.
    Did they make the ramp flat?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  25. #1100
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Did they make the ramp flat?
    Edit. No they didnít.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •