Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    yah as much as it pains me to say I've been skiing the Alpinist 12 inbounds doing some groomer laps while waiting for alpine lifts to open so I can tour out and they're solid af. I mean it's just groomers but they feel connected and not old-skool Dynafiddle vague
    I am (very) surprised to hear this, but if they somehow manage to get a proven track record... pretty attractive option at that price point imo.

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Lee, can you compare the feeling of the Alpinists to something like the Crests, Raiders or RT 2.0s? The Alpinists look great in so many ways but they are Markers, they haven't been out very long and they do have a u-spring, which are all factors that make me a little nervous. I have read the Blister review and some of the Wildsnow posts, but curious to get a little more info. Seen a few Alpinists in the parking lot but haven't talked to anyone who's skiing them (yet.)
    I haven't tried any of those you mentioned. I'm actually ok with U Springs having had positive experiences with the Salomon MTN over the past 2 seasons so that mental barrier is not a factor. What surprised me is how much better the Alpinist skied downhill vs say a Comfort/Vertical setup (I did some groomers with chopped up deathcookies from sloppy grooming just the other day to compare). I'd even go as far to say that in the smooth snow the Alpinists felt as good as say a Vipec (obv that's heavier). Sorry I can't really give more than subjective impression. There's not the vagueness of the old Tech 1.0 with the heel gap where as soon as you get ski chatter you feel like you'll explode and pre-release so you back off

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I am (very) surprised to hear this, but if they somehow manage to get a proven track record... pretty attractive option at that price point imo.
    I am but 78kgs 160lbs and a small sample size. There aren't many out there. Plus because they're Marker's I am very loathe to do anything but meadowskip touring pow in them. Please keep all that in mind. The toepieces are finicky. Having to go from ski to tour mode and vice-versa by bending down to twist the heel is such a throwback to last century. The brakes are pretty useless. But like I said they ski fine.

The price on these things keep dropping.

I’ve been very happy with my Alpinists, so much so I sold my kingpins and vipecs. Had a few resort days in Japan as well as about 20 BC days and they feel really solid and light. Agree with LL that the vague Dynafit heel feeling is nonexistent.

I have a pair of HR 2.0s and really like them as well. Only have a few days on them so hard to throw up a strong comparison. I did mount without the adjustment plate because I am a little sensitive to stack height. Probably just a psychological issue.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    I’ve been very happy with my Alpinists, so much so I sold my kingpins and vipecs. Had a few resort days in Japan as well as about 20 BC days and they feel really solid and light. Agree with LL that the vague Dynafit heel feeling is nonexistent.

I have a pair of HR 2.0s and really like them as well. Only have a few days on them so hard to throw up a strong comparison. I did mount without the adjustment plate because I am a little sensitive to stack height. Probably just a psychological issue.
    How much better than than classic dynafits (speed turn/vertical) do the alpinists feel on a big skis in soft snow with a big skier?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    How much better than than classic dynafits (speed turn/vertical) do the alpinists feel on a big skis in soft snow with a big skier?
    2.756753x

I would rather stick my dick into a bees nest than buy another marker product. At least with the bees i know I'll get stung immediately and then it'll more or less be over.

I haven't tried any of those you mentioned. I'm actually ok with U Springs having had positive experiences with the Salomon MTN over the past 2 seasons so that mental barrier is not a factor. What surprised me is how much better the Alpinist skied downhill vs say a Comfort/Vertical setup (I did some groomers with chopped up deathcookies from sloppy grooming just the other day to compare). I'd even go as far to say that in the smooth snow the Alpinists felt as good as say a Vipec (obv that's heavier). Sorry I can't really give more than subjective impression. There's not the vagueness of the old Tech 1.0 with the heel gap where as soon as you get ski chatter you feel like you'll explode and pre-release so you back off

I am but 78kgs 160lbs and a small sample size. There aren't many out there. Plus because they're Marker's I am very loathe to do anything but meadowskip touring pow in them. Please keep all that in mind. The toepieces are finicky. Having to go from ski to tour mode and vice-versa by bending down to twist the heel is such a throwback to last century. The brakes are pretty useless. But like I said they ski fine.

The price on these things keep dropping.
    Thanks! I guess the mental barrier for me with the u-spring comes from the wear and tear aspect, which is easily remedied by vigilance/having an extra set of springs. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, I'm definitely over analyzing here. However, I feel like if there's a better design in a comparable product, I should go with that. Enter the over analysis....

The details are much appreciated. I might wait and see what the internet jury decides on these before I grab a pair, but it's tempting considering they're very close to what I'm currently in the market for....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post

Good info, thanks for sharing!

Nickel's comment is the shirt version of why I'm nervous... Although I don't have any absolute horror stories first hand, I have found all the Marker products I've used to be underwhelming. They're fine but I always wish I would have bought something else.

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Good info, thanks for sharing!

Nickel's comment is the shirt version of why I'm nervous... Although I don't have any absolute horror stories first hand, I have found all the Marker products I've used to be underwhelming. They're fine but I always wish I would have bought something else.

I’m with you. But Salomon tech inserts ripped out and kind of ruined a mags life and they fall all over themselves about the shift. Perception I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I would rather stick my dick into a bees nest than buy another marker product. At least with the bees i know I'll get stung immediately and then it'll more or less be over.
    Hahahhaha.

This.

So much this.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    lol’d loudly at this

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I’m with you. But Salomon tech inserts ripped out and kind of ruined a mags life and they fall all over themselves about the shift. Perception I guess.
    I thought about this as well - how much good behavior does it take to rehabilitate your reputation ... or ... how short are people's memories.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I thought about this as well - how much good behavior does it take to rehabilitate your reputation ... or ... how short are people's memories.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Were there numerous failures in the Salomon saga? I only recall hearing about the incident with thin cover.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

one failure early in the product life but it was so obviously badly designed that Salomon must have let the mail room kid design the toe fitting
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

one failure early in the product life but it was so obviously badly designed that Salomon must have let the mail room kid design the toe fitting
    This. Tech fitting was held in by glue. Completely unsafe for any application.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Were there numerous failures in the Salomon saga? I only recall hearing about the incident with thin cover.
    They were able to recall the limited product they had out and eliminate it from retail channels.

What is this so called "Salomon saga"? I must have missed the memo. Did they have something shit the bed recently?

Years ago a mag got seriously mangled due to inept design on Salomon's initial entry into the tech boot market. It was not so much a one off error, but a flaw in design that shouldn't have made it past rev1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    What is this so called "Salomon saga"? I must have missed the memo. Did they have something shit the bed recently?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...omon%20failure
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/.../t-191256.html

Think they paid out to thincover. A simply dangerous design.

there are millions of tech toe fittings out there that work fine but a pict of the Salomon toe fitting showed that it was missing a ridge of solid metal that a dynafit toe fitting would usually have and there were a couple of big holes drilled towards the toe sockets that significantly weakened the structure ... bad engineering if any

A real good reason to breathe a sigh of relief if your boots use real dynafit fittings
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

@Lee would you say the Alpinists ski noticeably better than the MTN's? Or just compared to the older Dynafit's?

IMO the risers seems like the biggest deterrent to them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EricB View Post
    @Lee would you say the Alpinists ski noticeably better than the MTN's? Or just compared to the older Dynafit's?

IMO the risers seems like the biggest deterrent to them for me.
    Blister review with them skiing them back to back inbounds puts them at exceptionally similar with the slightest of edge in smoothness to to the alpinist.

Alpinist can be had cheap from Europe which is why I got a pair. MTN now cheap from PTEX1.

I’m digging the alpinist riser heights but rotating the heel sucks.

Friend of mine got “markered”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3155.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	366.3 KB 
ID:	272850

Name:	IMG_3156.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	272851

Name:	IMG_3159.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	272853

Day 1 the riser broke off. Day 2, one pull string ripped off, day 3 the other pull string ripped off. I think the strings are for the brake release/retention?